DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Color: Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
Hokey is on a distinguished road
Default Fender Flares and paint rubbing

I have been thinking about adding a set of fender flares to my truck but have heard from a few people that the after market flares can rub the underlying paint off down to the metal.

It sounds like the rubs are hidden from view while the flares are still on the truck, but if you ever remove them it is very obvious. My concern would be with rusting issues.

Has anyone had experience with this? Should I Rhino line the area under the flares for protection (would rather not). Is this issue with certain flares or just the nature of this type of mod?

Thanks for your advise!

~ Hokey
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

my Bushwackers came with a rubber seal, for lack of a better word, that fits between the flare & the paint, it could be rubbing under there, but, i am not going to take it off to find out

this video is with MOPAR fender flares, with my Bushwackers i didn't remove the piece of flat plastic, didn't need to. Also my rubber seal was at the top edge of the flare, not towards the middle, no heat gun was needed either

if you look closely, you can see the rubber seal at the outside edge of the flare itself, when you magnify the image. Be warned that they don't give an extra inch of the seal.

[IMG] [IMG]

in the second image, i taped another short piece that comes with the Bushwacker Flare box, it is used IF, you have the metal bumper
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-26-2011, 03:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '03 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:44
Rammin is on a distinguished road

I had a '93 K2500 that had factory fender flares on it and one day I decided to take them off and sell them. Even after 20 years the paint was still pretty good underneath because of the seals. The fading was apparent but after that long I was ready for that. If done correctly you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:47 AM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: brillian black
Rep:75
PorkChop will become famous soon enough

with the aftermarket fender flares this is true, my dad was looking for a truck and the dealer was actually able to pull the flare away on a few of the trucks he had on the lot and all of them had the paint rubbed of down to the metal, no rust that i know of, but would be expensive to repaint!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:13
Hokey is on a distinguished road
Default suggestions?

Anyone have suggestions on how to prevent possible rubbing?

3M Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is one possible solutions I have found, but not sure if it would provide enough protections.

Hate to go all the way to Rhino Liner ... If I go that route, I will just use the Rhino as the fender trim protection. I would rather go with a full flare.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:47 AM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

I dont know what the hell fender flares those people had on. OR maybe they forgot to put the edge guard on the flare. They do NOT scratch your paint. There is a strip of rubber on the edge of the flare that sits on your paint. It does not rub since they are tight up against. So go with Bushwacker and you will not have any issues.

If there are people that have put them on and have had problems then I am sorry to say they have put them on wrong. The flare sits tight against the truck so it will not rub, even if it does it is rubber. If rubber can scratch paint off to the metal then holy crap, haha
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 AM

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 outdoorsman
Trim Level: slt outdoorsman
Color: green
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:137
pjs1660 will become famous soon enoughpjs1660 will become famous soon enough

i just put on some husky mudflaps that came with some thick clear plastic film to stick ont the fender between the paint and the flaps check and see about using something like that
Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 5.7L
Trim Level: Big Horn Package
Color: Stone White
Rep:50
MTtruckr will become famous soon enough

I've been checking into the same thing. I really like the look of the ERG (EGR?) OE flares or even the Mopar OEM ones but I'm worried they will rub and rust. I was thinking maybe that clear tape they put on hoods and such may help underneath. If you come up with something let me know.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Crew Cab / 3.92 rear end
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Rep:917
Big Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to behold

I've just put a set of EGR's on my truck and they have a rubber seal that separates the flare from the paint. Unless the rubber seal itself can rub through paint I don't see how there will be any problems. Plus the flares are bolted on tight and if there is enough vibration for them to move enough for the seal to rub anything then you've got a whole another problem and paint would be the least of your worries.

Marching to Mamasita's beat for a real real long time...

Dennis
Old 02-28-2011, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 5.7L
Trim Level: Big Horn Package
Rep:50
MTtruckr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I've just put a set of EGR's on my truck and they have a rubber seal that separates the flare from the paint. Unless the rubber seal itself can rub through paint I don't see how there will be any problems. Plus the flares are bolted on tight and if there is enough vibration for them to move enough for the seal to rub anything then you've got a whole another problem and paint would be the least of your worries.
Which style of Egr did you get? If the OE style has the seal I may go ahead and get them. Also, seeing as we have very similar trucks in the same color do you have any pictures? I'm also curious how the rubber seal looks contrasting the white. (yes, I know I'm finicky when it comes to the looks of my truck, lol)
Thanks!