DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie crew cab
Color: Grey
Rep:41
uktitus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Yeah, it's illegal where I'm from too. Reason was there are lots of trucks up here, lifted and not, that when they were rear ended the hitch would punch through the hood or windshield of the car... not cool.

I am in the industrial safety profession, we get as much grief from workers as cops do from everyone else, I know their pain. I am constantly on my cell for work, I have a hands free phone too, my CB, incident report computer, and drive my rescue truck at high speeds to respond to incidents. The cell phone is the least of my distractions.

Now, like everyone else, I like cops when they're helping me, and pissed at them when I'm in trouble, only makes sense; but don't be bashing ALL cops or the profession in general, cuz I've lived in countries much much much worse than anything you have seen in north america; and even on a bad day, you've still got some of the best cops around.

And if the arguments continue, the thread will be closed.
Quite clearly you have stated your opinion if you had not then to close the tread could have been appropriate.

A couple of points one raises standards because one can to set examples for others not lower to others lower standards is I think a better way to go.

On many threads folks have slipped in their political point of view which I personally and i think maybe many other may find irrelevant and offensive on a truck forum and there has been no form of censorship which basically I think is right so if you decide this thread has gone far enough please do it even handily.
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Cool Vanilla
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:37
inkdemon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to inkdemon Send a message via Yahoo to inkdemon

Well in the long run the guy got a ticket. Again I do respect the police,but I also do get the feather ruffled when you get arrogant people that act as if they are better. No-one was insulted,just general statements made. But of course you do get the individual who goes about and starts giving text book answers to why things can be done in a condescending way. Same person who started whining the cop was wrong for issuing the ticket. Yet we also have a few that have responded in a normal everyday answer and explanations. All in all be careful out there guys,and gals. I know a warning is a treat and should be seen as a lucky incident. all I was saying was its nice if an officer give warning if pulled over on a law that you know nothing about. And there are quite a few out there. Thanks for the decent people who have chimed in.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:36
redhemi06 is on a distinguished road

I didn't know anything about the law and this is my first ticket in two years. I'm in the military and I try not to do anything to break the law. If I had known I was in the wrong I wouldn't have been doing it. I do have my fog lights on a switch as well as the lights behind the grille. I shouldve been a little more clear of the whole story. First the lights behind my grille are mostly blocked by the aftermarket billet grille I have and barely exceed a few feet from the truck, the military police on post have never said anything about them as well as many other cops that have seen me running all 6 lights and Ive never had a comment from anyone else that they're blinding in any way, second as the officer was writing me up two ricers where obviously street racing behind us (tires squealing when the guys shifted, high Rpms, high speed on a 35mph road). Third I did not say he was being Asenine, yes I don't feel as if I should have been given the ticket but
he did. I've been given other tickets without a word to the officer because I KNEW I was in the wrong, nonetheless that is not an excuse. I highly respect officers and if I hadn't joined the military I would be one as well. Fourth when I told the cop that I hadn't ever heard of the law he said welcome to Texas in the rudest manner, i was born in el paso and raised all over this great state and have never heard of the law. The officer then proceeded to list other laws that most people don't know, one being the fact you have to have you're tailgate on the truck. I was courteous throughout the whole conversation, telling the officer I am sure he was correct but as I stated I had never heard of the law. Now I would have paid the ticket and this is where I may be acting a little ignorant but why pay for something you don't have to? He wrote the tiket for having more than 2 fog lights, the lights are higher than 30 inches which the required height for fog
lights is 12-30 inches. If he had written the ticket for running more than 4 lights I would of paid it without a word. Also as stated the lights are not blinding and do not effect other drivers anymore than the fog lights. I never said he was wrong in giving me the ticket but I wasn't happy about it either. I've never had a cop that was more rude than he was even when I got pulled over for racing back in high school and got chewed out the officer was still not as rude as this one. I am thankful for cops, if it wasn't for an off-duty cop pulling over when my brother was ejected from his truck, he may not be alive today. If the court sees I was still in the wrong then I'll pay it and be done with it.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:27
Maddevill is on a distinguished road
Default Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhemi06 View Post
I didn't know anything about the law and this is my first ticket in two years. I'm in the military and I try not to do anything to break the law. If I had known I was in the wrong I wouldn't have been doing it. I do have my fog lights on a switch as well as the lights behind the grille. I shouldve been a little more clear of the whole story. First the lights behind my grille are mostly blocked by the aftermarket billet grille I have and barely exceed a few feet from the truck, the military police on post have never said anything about them as well as many other cops that have seen me running all 6 lights and Ive never had a comment from anyone else that they're blinding in any way, second as the officer was writing me up two ricers where obviously street racing behind us (tires squealing when the guys shifted, high Rpms, high speed on a 35mph road). Third I did not say he was being Asenine, yes I don't feel as if I should have been given the ticket but
he did. I've been given other tickets without a word to the officer because I KNEW I was in the wrong, nonetheless that is not an excuse. I highly respect officers and if I hadn't joined the military I would be one as well. Fourth when I told the cop that I hadn't ever heard of the law he said welcome to Texas in the rudest manner, i was born in el paso and raised all over this great state and have never heard of the law. The officer then proceeded to list other laws that most people don't know, one being the fact you have to have you're tailgate on the truck. I was courteous throughout the whole conversation, telling the officer I am sure he was correct but as I stated I had never heard of the law. Now I would have paid the ticket and this is where I may be acting a little ignorant but why pay for something you don't have to? He wrote the tiket for having more than 2 fog lights, the lights are higher than 30 inches which the required height for fog
lights is 12-30 inches. If he had written the ticket for running more than 4 lights I would of paid it without a word. Also as stated the lights are not blinding and do not effect other drivers anymore than the fog lights. I never said he was wrong in giving me the ticket but I wasn't happy about it either. I've never had a cop that was more rude than he was even when I got pulled over for racing back in high school and got chewed out the officer was still not as rude as this one. I am thankful for cops, if it wasn't for an off-duty cop pulling over when my brother was ejected from his truck, he may not be alive today. If the court sees I was still in the wrong then I'll pay it and be done with it.
It's unfortunate but the Law Enforcement profession attracts a lot of guys who really like having power over others. I always deal with officers with utmost courtesy and still have been treated like shit. My 02
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red aka AWESOME!
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:86
DeputyNelson will become famous soon enough

When do you go to court for the ticket? I'm interested to hear the outcome irregardless what comes of it.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 PM

March 28 which luckily I won't be in the field at the time.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

I'd go to court too just b/c he doesn't even know the law he was ticketing you for. Sounds like he has the just of it but he prob needs to hit the books a little more.

I fought a "speeding" ticket when the cop said he "paced" me going 20 mph over the posted 45 limit. I knew I wasn't so I wanted my day in court and no lawyer needed.
When I was pulled over the cop stated he was parked, saw me speed pass so he pulled out, caught up to me and paced me on my left side for a few seconds then pulled me over. I'm glad he told me all this that night and then told the same story in court b/c I did some quick math for the judge and showed him it was impossible that I was going that fast based off of where the cop said he was park and then pulled me over. It was a really short distance traveled. I kept my composure and had my figures all worked out so it was obvious I wasn't just b/sing around. Case thrown out and I was on my way.

If I'm in the wrong I'll take my ticket. I have had a warning or two in my life and my last ticket was over 10 years ago (prob just jinxed myself). I realize the police are just doing their job and they have to make decision on the fly and sometimes in some very stressfull situations. My point is that if he is going to pull you over for something like that and ticket you then he should be able to quote the law right before he tells you welcome to TX. Semantics maybe, but where do you draw the line? People in certain jobs need to be held to a higher standard.

Print out everything you researched. Take pics of your truck with a tape measure showing your light mounting height and give it your best shot.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:22 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie crew cab
Rep:41
uktitus is on a distinguished road

Redhemi, Obey your conscience, defend your position as you think you are in the right,win or loose you see it as a matter of principle, that is good.
When I was a kid some of the police went round on what we called push bikes basically they walked with them if they caught you up to no good it was a clip round the ear and on your way. Now a different story a lot are trained in aggressive defensive tactics which can be misused by the individual, also fines brings revenue and many tickets brings promotion. I think not a good way to go for a civilized society.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 AM

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:56
foolioGrimz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
I wonder why cops don't suck when they are helping people at an accident scene or go out looking for a lost child in the rain or snow or catch someone breaking into your house trying to steal everything you hold dear. If you don't agree with the ticket, thats what court is for--hire a lawyer, pay him twice what the ticket would cost you if you just paid it and fight it, thats your right. Just my .02!
Jay
cops are like any other ppl. some are cool and others are a$$holes. The cop was in the right on this one. but heres my rant....

Alot of them know nothing of laws they are trying to enforce. What about when I was continually getting pulled over for having tint on my back windows when the law specifically states that as long as the vehicle is equipped with two mirrors there is no regulation on windows to the rear of the driver. I mean I never got a ticket so I never argued with them, but the highway patrol pulled me over 2-3 times a week when I was driving my car, twice within like 30 mins one time . but some of the cops are scandolous searching the vehicle without probable cause without my consent and what not. They have alot of power over people and they know it. They can just make something up to screw you. Even if u get out of it u still have to go to court and what not.
mods-Ranch hand Brush guard, superchip tuner, 75 gal transfer tank, 4.10 gears with detroit locker, 305/70-16 BFG mudders, 2" lift, Chrome Edelbrock carb filter with throttle body mod, and a short glasspack.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM

well went to court this morning, judge was a little hard on the couple people in front of me but i presented my case to him, showed him the section for fog lights and how theyre supposed to be placed 12-30 inches (he was unfamiliar with the code, had never actually seen a ticket for it) showed him the pictures i took with a measuring tape showing the fog lights are above 30 inches, and before i even finished he dismissed it. so if i had gotten the actual ticket for having more than four lights on, i wouldve paid but the ticket he wrote me was not the law i was breaking. I WIN.