DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: None right now
Rep:11
camoman214 is on a distinguished road
Default Activated Charcoal

Has anyone ever used Activated Charcoal to deodorize your truck? My truck doesn't smell very good and I just want to know what works best as far as removing the stinky funk and making it smell good again. I believe the previous owner smoked in the truck frequently and it shows... I mean smells.

Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I saw smoke eliminator at the Home Depot
i don't know if it lasts long or not, it is a spray
also there is a product sold by Vacuum cleaner shops, it may also work, it was not cheap

then there is this, foggers, bombs & sprays
http://www.autogeek.net/auto-air-fre...FRM6gwodtzS55A

& this
http://odors.getridofthings.com/get-...moke-smell.htm
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-18-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:38 AM

Vehicle: 2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Trim Level: st
Color: deep water blue pearl coat
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:14
daggertats is on a distinguished road

baking soda usually takes away alot of odors. maybe try sprinkling it on carpet,letting it sit over night then vacuuming in the morn.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:52 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:210
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggertats View Post
baking soda usually takes away alot of odors. maybe try sprinkling it on carpet,letting it sit over night then vacuuming in the morn.
I had a buddy years ago that was an automotive detailer, He would dump boxes of Arm and Hammer everywhere, carpet/seats...where ever and let it set for a few days to draw out the smells. Then Vaccumm away. Afterwards you can spray your favorite scents. The air vents are the worst to do since they are hard to access, but now they make a spray that you spray into the vents, ( spray into the intake under the dash and it foams up to clean the ducts/coils and eliminate the funk ) I dont remember the name of the product but the auto stores carry it.

If it is deep into the seat foam materials and carpet padding you may have to have it professionally cleaned or replaced if you want to eliminate it completely. The headliner, best to replace it as when cleaned it tends to break the foam backing down and within a summer it will start falling down. $30 to take it out and have a shop recover it and re-install yourself, about $100+ for them to R&R it.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Activated charcoal works great if the air is 'flowing' through it, so it is unlikely it will be of much benefit in your case. The baking soda bath works great, but the trick is to let it sit for at least 1/2 a day. If you can, leaving it for a couple days does wonders, and blowing some of it onto the headliner (although really, really, messy) goes a long way to remove the smell from smoke. Also give the windows a good cleaning (smoke really sticks to them), with vinegar, followed by a good window cleaner.

Once completed, use something like 'Febreeze' for fabrics every 3-4th day for about a month.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-18-2011, 02:09 PM

If I can get the funk out of my truck using those methods and make it smell great again, there's a good chance I may never leave it. Of course, I'm sure some other funk would take over then.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 PM

sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

You can always find a donor truck and swap interiors.... More expensive sometimes but worth it, lots of good deals on craigslist usually.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:32 PM

Just a side note, when my wife bought a POS van awhile back, it was really nasty inside ( almost like someone puked in it ) I rented a rug doctor with the upholstery attachments and took all the seats out, cleaned the carpet/seats with boiled water/ammonia... then the next day again with carpet cleaner/deodorizers and the van was good as new. I boiled the water so it was extremely hot to deep clean like a steamer. While working another 2 large pots were on to boil. Worked great, might work for you as well....Takes time but go really slow and vac it really good to suck it all out. If its really bad you can pre- soak it using a spray bottle or bug sprayer. Place a fan in the truck to speed drying, the whole van was dry in a day.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Also after a good clean use fabreeze to keep the funk at bay my wife loves to smoke in my truck. The foot ball player in the family dosnt help ether. So I keep it in the console.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:27 PM

Okay, the smell is out, now what is a good way to make it smell nice? I know people say those trees suck, so what's a good way to keep the truck smelling of a good fragrance?