DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crewcab 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Email: Chili1k@att.net
Rep:1092
Chili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Garmin, tomtom, magellan, etc

I am in the market for a portable GPS device. I want to hear the good and the bad and the reasons behind them. Bad customer service etc.. lay it on me.
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

MIKE look at the Garmin Nuvi
i bought the 1350T
everything i could ask for in a Navigation unit, it speaks, turn by turn, easy to set a destination,
although it uses the NAVTEQ & not the new Garmin system, i really like it
IF you do get a new GPS system, buy the lifetime map upgrades option

the Rams maps have to be bought every so often at a price of $199 for each update on the maps & the Sirius/Garmin Traffic runs quite a bit for yearly subscriptions too, of course there is also the Sirius subscription yearly charges too, with that it is best to buy a 3 year plan each time, or if you plan on keeping the truck for 20 years, buy the LIFETIME SIRIUS PLAN, the longer the plan, the less it cost

my unit was on sale for $199 & it came with Lifetime maps & traffic

the Garmin Nuvi 1390 cost $220, also with lifetime maps & traffic with Bluetooth, ( i don't know just what the bluetooth is for, but, it comes with it )

try to get them on sale, Best Buy carries them

if you are a trucker, look at these
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDIQ8wIwAA#
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 02-28-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:13 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:158
SslagleZ28 has a spectacular aura aboutSslagleZ28 has a spectacular aura about

Your phone doesnt offer this option? Get with he time brother, lol JK... I like my Garmin when I had one, but I hear the tomtom is idiot proof

Semper FI
Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I've got a Magellan and I love it. it's quick to find or recalculate a route. It's got lots of points of interest on pretty much any topic you can think of.

It came with 2 yrs of map/ POI updates and I've never had any issues with it.

I don't use it often, but when I need to it's great. I used it for last year's trip to New Orleans, and it brought us door to door without any wrong turns (that I know about). It doesn't always choose the route that I would, but the route it chooses will always work!

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 02-28-2011, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

My TeleNav is the only thing I need, it's on my Evo 4G phone!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:851
RockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to RockyRam

I use the navigation system from Chrysler Mr. Chili Bean!

Have a Gray Ram?? Join the Mineral Gray Metallic Ramz Group!!!
http://www.ramforumz.com/group.php?groupid=21

"Rocky and Bullwinkle"
Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Crew Cab / 3.92 rear end
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Stone White
Rep:917
Big Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to behold

I like my Garmin Nuvi. I found a website where you can download a program that will allow you to change the message that (in my case) Karen gives you. Instead of saying "Recalculating" I have mine programmed to say "Lost again dummy". I've downloaded several other things to say and goofy POI's too but that's the first that comes to mind. Never had a TomTom or Magellan to compare too but I'm well satisfied with my Nuvi. I'd say check out which GPS has the most apps available and go that route. That way you can customize to your hearts content.

Marching to Mamasita's beat for a real real long time...

Dennis
Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Chili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SslagleZ28 View Post
Your phone doesnt offer this option? Get with he time brother, lol JK... I like my Garmin when I had one, but I hear the tomtom is idiot proof
Quote:
Originally Posted by 916Timmy View Post
My TeleNav is the only thing I need, it's on my Evo 4G phone!

I have the general one on my phone but its not as accurate as what i was going to have with a satellite receiver. The Cell one is nice to see a guesstimate where you are at, but id like a little bit closer..

Quote:
RockyRam: I use the navigation system from Chrysler Mr. Chili Bean!
Thanks Kyle.
Im tossing the idea of getting the add to the ram, but i like the idea of shoving it in the wife vehicle for her when we arent out together.

Last edited by Chili1K; 02-28-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
MIKE look at the Garmin Nuvi
i bought the 1350T
everything i could ask for in a Navigation unit, it speaks, turn by turn, easy to set a destination,
although it uses the NAVTEQ & not the new Garmin system, i really like it
IF you do get a new GPS system, buy the lifetime map upgrades option

the Rams maps have to be bought every so often at a price of $199 for each update on the maps & the Sirius/Garmin Traffic runs quite a bit for yearly subscriptions too, of course there is also the Sirius subscription yearly charges too, with that it is best to buy a 3 year plan each time, or if you plan on keeping the truck for 20 years, buy the LIFETIME SIRIUS PLAN, the longer the plan, the less it cost

my unit was on sale for $199 & it came with Lifetime maps & traffic

the Garmin Nuvi 1390 cost $220, also with lifetime maps & traffic with Bluetooth, ( i don't know just what the bluetooth is for, but, it comes with it )

try to get them on sale, Best Buy carries them

if you are a trucker, look at these
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDIQ8wIwAA#

Thanks Tom, the bluetooth is for syncing to your phone, you can use it as a hands free device which if you didnt have uconect, you can use that as a speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
I've got a Magellan and I love it. it's quick to find or recalculate a route. It's got lots of points of interest on pretty much any topic you can think of.

It came with 2 yrs of map/ POI updates and I've never had any issues with it.

I don't use it often, but when I need to it's great. I used it for last year's trip to New Orleans, and it brought us door to door without any wrong turns (that I know about). It doesn't always choose the route that I would, but the route it chooses will always work!

Exco
thanks Exco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I like my Garmin Nuvi. I found a website where you can download a program that will allow you to change the message that (in my case) Karen gives you. Instead of saying "Recalculating" I have mine programmed to say "Lost again dummy". I've downloaded several other things to say and goofy POI's too but that's the first that comes to mind. Never had a TomTom or Magellan to compare too but I'm well satisfied with my Nuvi. I'd say check out which GPS has the most apps available and go that route. That way you can customize to your hearts content.

Thanks.. Im hoping to find one that has lifetime maps. my brother just found his for 250ish bucks and he loves it.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:637
sk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to all

I also have the Garmin Nuvi Chili Sir. I haven't had any problems with it besides the ladies voice so a friend downloaded Stewies voice from Family Guy on it for me. And I also changed the car on it to a truck with Big tires.