DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1992 Dodge Ram D250/350 Conv.
Trim Level: LE
Color: Two Tone Grey
Engine: 1989-1993 360ci (5.9L) Cummins diesel I6 160hp 400lb/ft
Rep:10
Mavericke is on a distinguished road
Default Converting 92 Dodge Ram D350 Turbo Diesel Dually to 4x4 (technically 4x6??)

My title really says it all. I'm sure it cab be done... but has it been done and if so, are there kits available or anything like that?

You see, I've found my dream truck as stated in the title. This thing is in perfect mint condition and has every option I want, plus extras... the only thing it's lacking is four wheel drive. Now, since it has the 1 ton dually rear end... 4x4 is a necessity - I'm going to buy the truck regardless. I just have this thought in my head that I could easily convert it. I mean, transfer case, drive shaft, matching front end gear ratio... easy peasy, right? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's the thing... I must admit that I have never owned a diesel. It has always been a dream and the fact that I haul car all the time and need something with POWER - it makes perfect sense to own one. I'm a total city slicker from the DFW area, but we recently bought a house on 4 acres in the middle of the midwest... nothing but corn, lots of mud in the summer, and lots of snow in the winter. I buy, rebuild and sell AMCs...particularly AMC Eagles and I end up with a lot of scrap metal and I often times need to haul whole cars - sometimes several across the country. Hence the deisel and the duallies.

But as I said, I live in the middle of nowhere and I need something that won't get stuck in the snow and/or mud. I've grown out of playing - mostly. But we seriously end up with 3-4ft snow drifts on our road no matter how much snow we get and no one plows. I need a 4x4.

Can it be done? What do you think the best method is? Should I just look around for another wrecked 4x4 or somethinng and convert it that way? Just looking for ideas/options.

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

although i don't know much about a 4X4 conversion, i let others speak to that part

I want to Welcome you to this RamforumZ

I know that everyone will be wanting to see BEFORE, DURING & AFTER pictures & a short write up about the conversion

Have fun & Good Luck
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-28-2011, 03:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: deep amythest and silver mist
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
984wdram is on a distinguished road

lots more involved than just swapping the transfer case over and throwing a front diff under it. its gonna include the rear suspension, transmission, possibly crossmember, rear driveshaft, transfer case, welding the front axle mounts(dont know if your year is leaf spring or link bars), front steering components, cutting a hole in the floorboard for the shifter. honestly, it would be easier to find another dually like yours, that is either a) body is rusted out, or b) has been wrecked, and swap your body and bed over to the other truck.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1992 Dodge Ram D250/350 Conv.
Trim Level: LE
Color: Two Tone Grey
Engine: 1989-1993 360ci (5.9L) Cummins diesel I6 160hp 400lb/ft
Mavericke is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

GTyankee, thanks! I'm actually a returning member... I guess I was probably inactive too long. I had a 92 Dodge w150 short bed 4x4 manual. Loved it, but had to sell it. Lost $1500 on that deal.

Anyways, been on the market for something bigger with a bit more power. Not a huge fan of the 318. It's not bad, it'll run forever - but just doesn't have the "mmph" I need.

So yeah, I've been eyeballing this TurboD for awhile now and it was love at first sight. Took me a year and a half to finally find out if they were selling it, lol! Now trying to get together the funds. Whatever I do, you can count on a fully detailed write up with plenty of pictures! Guaranteed! I'll be sure to post everything I can about the truck when I get it.

94wdram - thanks to you too man. That's exactly what I needed to know!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: deep amythest and silver mist
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
984wdram is on a distinguished road

not a problem man. i just thought u would want to know before you got eyeball deep in a project with no way to dig yourself out.