DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Color: ticket me red!
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
rikinwyoming is on a distinguished road
Default putting a lift together

so,, I am putting a lift together for my 2001 quad cab with a 5.9 gasser and 77k on the clock...

I have some v10 coils coming for the front, also plan on ordering 2 inch spacers for the front and 3 inch aal's for the back. I know I will have to regear, questions are...

For moderate offroading, how big of tires can I stuff under there? I was thinking on regearing to 4.56 or 4.88 with the stock d44 front and 9.25 rear. (I have 3.92 now with the auto tranny) It's sitting on 285/75-16's currently, and I know I have to get some steelies with better backspacing (around 3.5 to 4 inch I assume!)

Also, what else will I need to put together for parts? I am thinking shocks, gearing and at least a rear locker, and what length replacement control arms?? Am I missing anything else? This is my daily driver, but I need to keep it decent for a daily driver as well. I have already welded up a bumper for the front I can add a winch mount for, and I plan on replacing the rear bumper with some 4 inch oilfied pipe as well...

Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

I'm guessing you're trying to get 5 inches of lift so you can run a 35 inch tire?
Personaly V-10 springs and spacers wouldn't be the place to start, and just because it's cheaper isn't the correct logic to use, especially on a daily driver. I guess the winch and bumper might make them ride a bit better...
Anyways, you'll need longer control arms, and if you're ok with sticking with the stock mounting points, you can buy those from Rough Country or the like. However you might reconsider doing a psuedo long arm kit which will give you a better ride due to the reduced angles of the arms. This will take a bit more fab work, but will give you an almost cadillac ride with amazing flex.
In the back, a 3 in AAL isn't gonna get it. You'll need 5 inches to match the front. So your best bet is new springs. A viable alternative would be off road leaf packs with an AAL.
Lastly at 5 inches of lift, you'll need (in no order) a drop pitman arm, track bar bracket or an adjustable bar with bracketry, and sway bar drop brackets or longer sway bar links. Don't remove your sway bar!
With a 5 inch lift and 4:56 gearing you should be able to run a 315/35 inch tire on an 8 inch rim with around 4-4.5 inches of backspacing. Proper arm length and parallel steering geometry/track bar geometry will assure factory alignment specs, reduced bumpsteer, decent ride, and good handling.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1998 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:48
ScottLC is on a distinguished road

Based on the measurements we've done prior to lifting my 1500, a 3" set of springs in front(w/2" AAL in back) should clear a 315/70/17(34.4" tall) on a 9" wheel. Admittedly this will never see offroad or need lots of flex, but for street and field use it looks to be plenty of room...?

I know for a fact a 33/12.50/15 on an 8" wheel fits stock height with no rub in daily use because that's what I've run since the late 90's(you can bind it up but you've got to be in a ditch or serious field rut).

Building a set of long lower arms is still something I want to get around to one day. Would definitely be worth the effort on a 5" that's going to actually do something.

[COLOR=Blue][B]"Once the monkeys learn they can vote themselves bananas, they'll never climb another tree." [/B][/COLOR][SIZE=1]- Heinlein[/SIZE]
[/CENTER]
Old 03-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Color: ticket me red!
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
rikinwyoming is on a distinguished road

Yeah right now I am running 285/75-16's on my stock suspension and stock steel wheels and I haven't gotten any rub thus far even with some mild to moderate off roading.