DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 09 HEMI RCSB GOODNESS!!
Color: silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
alaskanram is on a distinguished road
Default any major problems with the 09's? thinking of returning my warranty

so i bought an extended 5 year warranty with my truck and im thinking of returning it (i have 60 days to get a full refund).

the truck is a regular cab short bed hemi. has 7600 miles and is under factory warranty for 17 more months. i bought a 5 year extended warranty with 100 dollar deductable for 1250$.

im not sure if i should keep it or not. i think the factory will be fine but im wondering if anyone is having any kind of big expensive problems so far.
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: brillian black
Rep:75
PorkChop will become famous soon enough

no problems with mine, but i would keep the extended warrenty, with all the electronics in trucks these days, it only takes one fix and your extended is paid for. electrical fixes are expensive
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:5
sinned is an unknown quantity at this point

As a Mopar mechanic, many times when deciding whether to cover something or not, we would factor in the customers loyalty to the service department AND whether or not they had a DCX extended warranty plan. Just something to consider.

Diagnostic and replacement of something like a fuel module (fuel pump) is easily over 1K. All of those switches in the dash and door panels add up quick too. And God help you if anything in the HVAC goes out and the dash has to be R&R'd to get it fixed.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:19
scots2413 is on a distinguished road

Did you get the Max care warranty from Chrysler? If so then I would definitely keep it. If not then I would think about getting your refund and going with the Max care. If you dont keep your truck for the full length of the warranty then most warranties will give a prorated refund.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:26 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

As has been stated, small things can add up to a big bill, especially when it comes to electrical issues. I recently had HVAC issues on my '07 and total bill was $2300... glad I had 4 days left on my warranty. I would personally keep it as you've already paid for it and it will probably save you money in the long run.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:02 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 2WD
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:77
bigedschukar will become famous soon enough

I currently have no warranty but am thinking of getting the max coverage. Question though... is it safe to say that anything I do an aftermarket mod on will not be covered?

Example: I have a leveling kit not installed by the dealer, so now my front suspension would not be covered.

Or if I wanted to do the cabin air filter mod. If I do that, my A/C system wouldn't be covered? Or if I add aftermarket fogs to the bumper and then my bumper falls off on the freeway.

Thoughts...anyone.... thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Crew Cab / 3.92 rear end
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Stone White
Rep:917
Big Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to behold

Agree that a Chrysler Max Care is the way to go. If you have it keep it. If you don't have it return the other warranty and use the money to get a Max Care.

Marching to Mamasita's beat for a real real long time...

Dennis
Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 RAM 1500
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
STLRam is on a distinguished road

I love my 09 but i also love my warranty almost as much. im at 55000, had the hvac thing and some kind of pigtail was too short or something that made the check engine light come on and lose major hp.

My highbeams stoped working around 37,000. Hardly use them anyways.

And hate to say it but currently dealing with some kind of battery drain. I love my truck,but I naturally have bad luck, so that extra thousand for my extended warranty was well worth it.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i bought my '09 in february '09
before my 26 month, 36,000 mile warranty was up, i got the LIFETIME MAXIMUM CARE warranty
i already have the lifetime drive train warranty
i have 41,000 + miles on my Ram
so far all of my problems have been drive train issues
i canceled my original warranty the same day that i bought the new warranty, so i only paid $1200 for the best lifetime warranty
everything is covered except for normal wear parts

you can't beat that with a whip, baseball bat, & a some nipple clamps
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 04-26-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Most experts will tell you that you are wasting your money on extended warranties. Just Google the subject and you will see I'm not kidding. You already have the lifetime power train warranty, you also have the 8 year 80,000 mile emissions warranty (engine control modules, cats) anything that causes the truck to fail smog test. I have never purchased an extended warranty on any of my new vehicles (5 trucks) and never needed it so I'm way ahead if I ever need to spend some on repairs. Think of it this way, what could really cost so much to fix? Any of the uncovered electronics can be gotten off a wrecking yard, as times passes, more and more aftermarket repairs and parts are available. If you plan to keep the truck past ten years keep it otherwise forget it. Electronics that fail usually fail right away, if they don't they last forever.