DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Forum Polls!

Notices

Dodge Ram Forum Polls! Get Your Vote On!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Would you lease a truck?
Lease 7 14.58%
No Lease 41 85.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 RAM SLT REG. CABX2
Trim Level: SLT
Color: CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
RammD will become famous soon enough

Ramoose, great post, you did a nice job summing up why leasing has a lot more negatives then positives. I did mention one benefit of leasing as people getting into new vehicles every few years but when you look at the money pitt to that advantage..it doesn't look like such an advantage.

Another reason many people lease is to get a car that they couldn't otherwise afford through a finance. BMW, GM with their mid to upper Cadillac line, Honda/Acura..etc. Some of those special promotion leases are $399-$499 a month, HALF the payment they would be if the vehicle were financed over a 5 year period. So people who are so hell bent on driving a luxury car and who can't afford it otherwise often times jump on those "special" leases. And again, after you see what they've shelled out at the end of the lease with not a thread of the vehicle owned...you see how this isn't that much of an "advantage" either.
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram RC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:71
Get Bit will become famous soon enough

I have seen some specail lease deals, which cuts payments, but never have gotten them. My lease payment on the Denali was 860/ mo, on our BMW was around the same. Some of the lease deals are for very base models as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Find em hot leave em wet

Vehicle: 12 RAM 1500 qc 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: express
Color: bright silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:204
moparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura about

I might lease a car for a back up or daily driver but never a truck I have a habit of doing alot of mods and damaging the truck doing stupid stuff wheeling it etc. it would just become a money pit of overchargers. But like I said ive considered leasing a caliber or avenger for a daily driver so I can take the truck off the road for more than a day and not worry about getting to work if I break it (again) in the woods or wanna do work myself that takes more than a day.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Vehicle: 2007 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Thunder Road
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:48
Trucks n Guns is on a distinguished road

I like leased vehicles because they make great affordable used vehicles for poor people like me to buy 2-3 years after. I like the thought of a new car, but can't see buying something that depreciates so fast. I don't mind owning a 3 year old vehicle and paying 1/2 the price that the truck was new.

Bilstein 5100s - Magnaflow 18" muffler - Volant CAI - 276/65R20 Cooper Zeon LTZ - APC LED Bar
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:10
Cthulhu is on a distinguished road

I have leased. I'm glad I did. Would I lease again? Put in the same position, yes. Will I be in that same position, hopefully not.

Here's my story. In 2007, I was recovering from 'long term bad credit', and for the first time in my life I had a good, long term job. I had just purchased a condo and of course it was the start of the great recession. I had a 1998 GMC Jimmy with 180,000km on it that was showing signs of upcoming 'major' work. I had decided to see if I could buy or lease a truck. I new I couldn't buy the truck I wanted, a new(er) 3500 CTD quad cab, but the lease on a 1500 w/ HEMI fit into our budget very well. Knowing I wanted the 3500 CTD, a 4 year lease seemed like the right time frame to do something like this. I figured at the end of 4 years of significantly higher finance payments, I'd likely owe what the truck was worth if I was lucky.

Well, last year, my dream truck came onto a local lot and I pulled the trigger. I was at 72000kms on my lease so I knew I would be very close to paying for overages if I did another summer holiday with it. I pulled the trigger on my dream truck, a 2006 5.9CTD Mega Cab Larmie for $29,500CDN. It was a return from lease and the miles were @ 80,000. The downside to the lease, I had to continue paying for the truck when I didn't need it, however the upside, when I took it back 2 weeks ago, I didn't owe ANYTHING more to Dodge on it. I have put over 30,000kms on my CTD since we bought it 8 months ago. @ 0.15/km that's $4500 saved. That's 7 months approx worth of payment on my CTD.

So, again, I think Leasing has a place for the average consumer, but for most people its often over-used, with the intent of buying more car/truck than their budgets can really afford. If your plan is such that you can manage the lease, then go for it, otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
StevePG is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to StevePG

I put WAY too many mile on my vehicles.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie, Brown/Tan
Color: Elegant Pearl Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Ramoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RammD View Post
Ramoose, great post, you did a nice job summing up why leasing has a lot more negatives then positives. I did mention one benefit of leasing as people getting into new vehicles every few years but when you look at the money pitt to that advantage..it doesn't look like such an advantage.

Another reason many people lease is to get a car that they couldn't otherwise afford through a finance. BMW, GM with their mid to upper Cadillac line, Honda/Acura..etc. Some of those special promotion leases are $399-$499 a month, HALF the payment they would be if the vehicle were financed over a 5 year period. So people who are so hell bent on driving a luxury car and who can't afford it otherwise often times jump on those "special" leases. And again, after you see what they've shelled out at the end of the lease with not a thread of the vehicle owned...you see how this isn't that much of an "advantage" either.

Thanks. I think that everyones experiences here has helped answer the initial question of "Would you Lease?". I'm glad if my .02 was helpful.