DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:67
NUTSHEMI will become famous soon enough

I thought I read another thread were someone had fitment issues. I wonder if you called Volant they would sent you a new one or try and fix the problem. I am looking into the volant cai so I hope this isnt a common problem.
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
All modding takes a bit of tweaking. Once you get this one tweaked I think you'll like it. I've used Volant systems on 3 vehicles and they worked well.

Good Luck!
I agree with you and I did not mean that the product is no good just that the quality of the fitment should be designed much better for the price, if that makes sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTSHEMI View Post
I thought I read another thread were someone had fitment issues. I wonder if you called Volant they would sent you a new one or try and fix the problem. I am looking into the volant cai so I hope this isnt a common problem.
Yeah I composed a polite email to them this morning. I was not requesting anything for free or to return their product. I just asked them if they couldn't put more effort into making their product into a better overall install experiance for future buyers. Maybe others have not had my problems and this is a quality assurance issue from their assembly line, I dont know. I included about 15 pictures of what I perceive to be deficiancies in the product fitment, we will see if I even get a reply. Like I said I tried very hard to be polite and constructive and not aurguementive or aggresive
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 09 Ram 1500 Reg Cab SB
Trim Level: SLT w/5.7 and 3.92
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:112
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Several have noted before that the 'snorkel' does not line up/seal with the fender port.

Fitment is a known issue with the Volant on the 4th Gens, yet Volant (Daniel at Volant) will tell you its just an adjustment-related issue.

As I'd heard of this issue before, I contacted Volant (Daniel) prior to buying a CAI. His comments and the inability of others to completely correct this issue with 'adjustments' lead me to purchase the Airaid instead. (Which ironically is up for sale on ebay right now)

Fit and finish on the Airaid is top notch. The box is secured by 3 OEM pins and 2 fender bolts,,,, solid as a rock and seals to the fender port like it was designed to. First time, every time.

I just got tired of the noise, didn't notice any gains, so I went back to OEM.

The only 'loss' I noted by going back to OEM was the noise,,,

Last edited by HoustonHemi; 03-02-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 PM

Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Adjustments eh? if you look at my fourth pic that gap is 2 1/2 inches and the airbox bottom is 1 inch higher than the bottom of the hole in the fender. If I "adjust" it the outlet hole for the tube will point at the passenger cylinder head!!!
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RCLB SLT 1500 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:72
catsltd will become famous soon enough

I have read several posts on the new Volant intake.
They all have complained about fitment issues.
Im glad that these forums are here,so that I dont waste my money on products that are not worth the money.
Great review.
3:92 gears.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

Just fyi the volant intake for our trucks was originally designed for the 2008 rams. That's why they dont fit perfect there are guys out there that have modded there's to make it seat with the fender better using adhesive foam strips. I just left mine un modded but i did make a ram air tube for the hole on the bottom of the airbox. Also its one of the few intakes available with a diameter big enough to handle a larger throttle body its bigger than my 90mm. Speed had to cut and mod his K&N to make it fit the 85mm. So basiclly nothing is garrenteed to fit your specific vehicle that would be way to easy anyway and who would want that its called modding for a reason. Spending money on mods is not just about the results its about the experiance.

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning

Last edited by RamTex; 03-03-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:10 AM

Vehicle: Ram
Rep:11
2010Sport is on a distinguished road

All this back and forth on intakes... How can one make a good decision? I've been looking at them for a good long while. Is there anyone who can tell me what they think I should go for?? I heard good thing about Volant up until this post here. Have you gotten it to fit any better? Oh and "Crash" if you still have the muffler I'm interested. I can't post in there quite yet. lol
Old 03-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Firemut30 is on a distinguished road

This is good to know, I had a Volant on my last truck and would have been looking for one for my Ram, which I haven't been able to find. They are very pricey.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Sport View Post
All this back and forth on intakes... How can one make a good decision? I've been looking at them for a good long while. Is there anyone who can tell me what they think I should go for?? I heard good thing about Volant up until this post here. Have you gotten it to fit any better? Oh and "Crash" if you still have the muffler I'm interested. I can't post in there quite yet. lol
I haven't had a chance to fool around with it, I work four on four off and start my 4 off tomorrow so I will play with it a bit. I do want to clarify a bit though. I do not want anyone to think that I am not happy with the performance of the volant. It does seem to have better acceleration (except that 1st to second lag) and it sounds freaking awesome for sure. What really disapoints me is the fit and I'm sure I can make it fit better I just think that for $350 you should not have to screw around to make it fit. AND I sent a very polite email direct to volant and did not even get an acknolgement from them, not that is shitty customer service right there!
Yeah I still have the magnaflow for sale i will pm you my info
Old 03-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Sport Premium
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:10
DRAM11 is on a distinguished road

So what would you guys say is the best CAI for a 2010 Dodge Ram with the Hemi? It seems like Volant sounds great from what i hear, but also a little pricey. any ideas?