DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Laramie 3500
Rep:10
nancyh1980 is on a distinguished road
Default Recommendation needed

My husband and I purchased 06 laramie 2-wheel drive drive with auto transmission. I am now the sole owner of this 140,000 truck. I don't tow. This is my primary driver (primary highway miles). It has been a most unreliable truck I have ever owned. Aside from the unresolved steering click click, I have rebuilt a tranny due to a bad torque converter(paid dealer $4K). Now I hear a thump noise each time I accelerate or change from reverse to drive. My co-workers drove and got underneath the truck and think it is the rear end.
1) Any idea of how much rear end costs? This is the standard ratio that came with the truck.
2) Can you recommend a trust worthy shop in or nearby Houston that I can have them fix all the issues I have?

Thanks so so much
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

before thinking it is the rear end
get the drive shaft Universal joints checked, they could have worn bearings, that could cause noise with a jarring sensation, if it is the problem, it is an easy less costly fix

if it turns out to be the rear differential, do your research, decide whether you want a highway or a pulling truck, highway gears would give you better mileage possibly
check general parts prices here, to give you an idea of what it may cost, so that you won't get sticker shock
http://www.ringpinion.com/

some shops in your area, look for AAA, ASE, BBB accredited shop

BAYTOWN --- http://www.pylebros.com/ many people recommend this shop

Houston------http://www.circledtrans.com/custom_applications_conversions.php

Texas Auto Gear ----this shop doesn't even have a website, but, may be worth checking out
314 West Carby Road, Houston, TX 77037-3723 (281) 448-4371

Good Luck
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Laramie 3500
nancyh1980 is on a distinguished road

You were dead on. It was the 2-piece U Joint. $500 later this issue is fixed. Randy's Drive train and Sam were wonderful.
(3) issues left:
1) The front steering popping happened from they one. I guess no one can ever solve this.
The other 2 - easy. New shocks and replace brakes.
Throughout my sponsorship by Bilsteen, they sent me new shocks for the truck.

Approx $ for changing the shocks (using my shocks) and brake jobs on all 4 wheels including turning the rotors.

Gents, thanks so so much
Old 03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:637
sk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to all

I would have suggested checking the u-joints first as well just as GT did. Now for the $500 price tag ! That seems a bit steep to me. I haven't had to replace them in my Ram yet but in my Chevy they are $45 a piece and I replaced them myself. Just curious as to th high price tag is all. Glad you got it fixed though. As for the steering knock, do you have excessive play in the steering wheel ? You could check the Drag Links or possibly the Sreering Box itself.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 2500 4x4 Diesel
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
mkobliska is on a distinguished road

If the steering "popping" you are refering to is a "clunking" feeling in the steering wheel and also in the brake pedal...check your steering shaft. I replaced mine and its better than it ever was. Spend the extra $$ and get the Borgenson instead of stock...far superior ($270 for the shaft, 1/2 hr to install).