DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:35
diablo0813 is on a distinguished road
Default Brushguard trouble.

Heya folks,

I finally got my BAKflip F-1 and Black Horse brush guard for my 2011 1500 Outdoorsman. Started out the day full of excitement as my son and I headed out to the front yard to mount the brush guard. The joy came crashing down when I got stuck on the VERY first piece I tried to remove!

I have the tow hooks that came already installed and I spent a good 45 minutes just trying to remove a bolt that held them in place. Is this not something I can do with average tool sets or am I gonna need to head to the auto shop and rent a stall? Or is there a tool I can go buy tomorrow to do this myself in my driveway?

On a plus note, I got the BAKflip installed and it looks pretty good. As much as I just want to say; "OMG I LUV IT SOOOOOOOO MUCH!"....I can't. It's JUST barely long enough to cover the length of the bed. Every time I open and close it something shifts that I need to make slight handpowered adjustments to. And there is some kind of odd color streak on one of the panels that looks like someone wiped it with a solvent that ate some clearcoat or something.
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Hopefully some of the 4th generation Ram owners can give you some advice here . I've known some on here that have installed the tow hooks and haven't said anything about how hard the install was .
Old 02-19-2011, 06:20 PM

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:56
foolioGrimz will become famous soon enough

some breakfree or other penetrating oil and a good size breaker bar? I always keep a few cans of PB fluid in the garage. Im not sure what the clearances are that ur working with but tractor supply has some decent inexpensive breaker bars.
mods-Ranch hand Brush guard, superchip tuner, 75 gal transfer tank, 4.10 gears with detroit locker, 305/70-16 BFG mudders, 2" lift, Chrome Edelbrock carb filter with throttle body mod, and a short glasspack.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolioGrimz View Post
some breakfree or other penetrating oil and a good size breaker bar? I always keep a few cans of PB fluid in the garage. Im not sure what the clearances are that ur working with but tractor supply has some decent inexpensive breaker bars.

Awesome, thanks! One question though...is there any way to determine the EXACT size socket I need or is it completely a try until I get a decent fit kinda thing? I think the best fitting one I used was a 9/16, but I still felt it slipping, so I switched off to my Vice-Grips. Those held better but just couldn't get enough torque on it...even with smackin the hell outta it with a rubber hammer.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo0813 View Post
Awesome, thanks! One question though...is there any way to determine the EXACT size socket I need or is it completely a try until I get a decent fit kinda thing? I think the best fitting one I used was a 9/16, but I still felt it slipping, so I switched off to my Vice-Grips. Those held better but just couldn't get enough torque on it...even with smackin the hell outta it with a rubber hammer.

oohh vice grips bad! ur gonna end up stripping the hell out of it. If u cant find the right size with standard sockets try metric. Im not real good at converting from metric to standard. it might be a 13 or 14? How many sides does it have? If u need a metric socket take the 9/16s with you to the store and compare it to the other sockets to find the one that is just a tad smaller. Ive been through experiences like this b4. Having the right tools can make all the difference in the world.
mods-Ranch hand Brush guard, superchip tuner, 75 gal transfer tank, 4.10 gears with detroit locker, 305/70-16 BFG mudders, 2" lift, Chrome Edelbrock carb filter with throttle body mod, and a short glasspack.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:06 PM

What a humbling experience this has been!

So I bought a breaker bar and a new set of sockets to fit it. I also had the foresight to buy an adapter to use the new sockets on my old ratchet. Got them all home and none of the new sockets fit the bolt. The 19mm one from my old set works though, as I was able to get a bolt from the passenger side tow hook loosened up, with assistance from a hammer. (On a side note, I broke the rubber mallet I WAS using.) Once I figured out the 19mm socket was the one to use, I went back to the driver side tow hook I had worked on the other day with no dice as I must have stripped it enough with the Vice-Grips. I then went back to the passenger side tow hook and tried to get one of the other bolts loose with no luck and out of fear of stripping another one, I quit.

While we were out yesterday I also picked up one of them pretty Ram Logo trailer hitch covers that acts as another brake light. The thinking was, maybe I could get my man card back...I still ain't got it back.

I decided I didn't want the cable to run in front of the bumper so I tried to run it through the little gap near the bottom left corner of the license plate. It didn't fit and I remembered someone saying you may have to cut a small notch to run the wires through there. I busted out my trusty Dremel and began EVER so slightly making the notch bigger until it JUST barely allowed the plug to fit through. I ran it through and went to plug it in and......wires not long enough. I know I could get an extension, but that isn't a look I want either.

Me-0 / Black Betty-1

And now there's a new rule in my house...if I don't already KNOW how to do it...I pay someone else to do it for me.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 PM

dang dude sorry to hear that. did u try some breakfree ?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4X4 Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:2453
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. I actually added the mopar tow hooks to mine and had no problems. The bolts are torqued up to 130 ft lbs. I also have a lighted hitch cover however I did not use the trailer wiring as there is a single capped wire up under the spare that allows you to tap into the centre high mounted brake circuit. I bought a standard 4 pin trailer wire and wired into that. With this method the light will only come on with the brake. Hope you can get this sorted out.
BT CC / Hood Kit, LED Tails, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, Black Aluminum Side Steps, Leer 700, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Front Tow Hooks and Bed Post Hide-a-Hooks, Tints (20% frt, 35% rear and slider), Painted Engine Cover/Brake Calipers, K&N Drop in,OEM Fender Flares/ bug deflector, FM 40, SC Cortex, Oracle H11 LED Heads, 4000k Putco Fogs, LED Interior Lights, Honeycomb Grill, Bilstien 5100's.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:27 PM

Vehicle: 2009 1500 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: grey
Rep:15
337ram is on a distinguished road

If you have a autozone or any parts store they have sockets that is universal , the one i got was called a gator for situations like yours . Also as a rule on something that is torqued down use a 6 point socket only . You might try and step down one hlaf size , basically a standard socket , it will be very tight and you might have to beat it on there but it will go. GOODLUCK!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 06:41 PM

Default Oops!

I suppose I got a little sidetracked lately as it has been on for a while now, BUT....

My wife must of gotten tired of my bitchin', and decided to sneakily get it installed for me!