DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default Want your opinions on step bars

Hey all I am in need of opinions. As some know I'm going back and forth on selling my gorhino step bars as they hang very low on my truck, and even lower now that I lowered the rear. I'm considering selling them and buying the ones member hoosierhemi posted about that he got on ebay.

What I have now:

What hoosierhemi posted about (pic is from his thread):

Advantadges of keeping mine, they look amazing and are pretty practical.

Advantadges of selling mine and getting the others, I'd actually make money, they are aluminum so lighter, *should* give more ground clearance, still look pretty good IMO

Looking for all your opinions on looks mainly. I'm trying to get hoosierhemi to take a measurement for me of his so I can compare and actually see if I'd gain any ground clearance, but it looks like I'd gain at least an inch or maybe two...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2011, 09:53 PM
erm

Well, if you need more ground clearance, then the nerf bars above work better.

I like step bars and nerf bars. Since I've raised my truck, step bars make more sense for access and I'll be swapping soon.

No, mine won't fit your truck....
Old 11-10-2011, 09:57 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

LOL you read my mind....I think I'm trying to talk myself into doing this. There's a guy in Tampa(close to me) that showed interest in mine so I could probably sell them easily. I am planning on lowering the rear another inch so it'll be even worse. I'm terrified of coming down on a curb and crunching the cab as the step bars are thicker tubing than the cab sheet metal. Another thought is that the aluminum bars might give before the cab if I ever did hit them....what do you think?

Thanks for your opinion, what do you think about how they'd look? Of course, looks first, practicality second haha....I have a feeling the wife will be angry with me soon...

Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 PM
erm

Yes, the aluminum will give so hopefully the cab will be OK. I look at steel step bars as a form of rock slider...if they don't bend, they end up protecting the cab.

Those nerf bars look good and the wife will still have a step to use. With the truck lower, the step up to the nerf bars won't be bad at all.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:06 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

I say swap to the other ones, the steps you have are for bigger trucks!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
thorskeeper is on a distinguished road

Check out a company called AMP research. Retractable steps that operate by the opening and closing of the door(s). Awesome product.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:58 PM

^ thanks for the tip, but I can't drop $1,000 on bars lol. Definitely a cool product though!

Thanks Timmy, I'm beginning to really lean that way, and everyone pretty much unanimously agrees....so...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Hey Sean, one more vote here too brother, so go for it..! You`ll be glad you did..!
I had step bars in the past, didnt like them at all. Always had to look for the narrow step bar to get out of the truck.
The FULL LENGTH step tubes will be easier for your foot to land on getting in an out of your truck.
Ohhhh, and not to mention, the full length tubes will protect your rocker panels from stones.
Thanks LU, didn't think about the protection aspect, good point. And I need it with the offest on my wheels. That's why I added the mudspats (didn't want flaps for the same reason; I didn't want them hitting the ground/curbs). I'm amazed how much protection those little spats give actually. Even the gorhino's provided some good protection but I think you're right the full length would give more.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Bright white
Rep:435
Outlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really nice

Just lower it more and you won't need steps

Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Just lower it more and you won't need steps
lol yeah I just don't want to get into changing the suspension a whole lot. I cut the rear springs and it dropped an inch, I intend on cutting them more to get another inch to make it perfectly level. Beyond that I'm not going to do anything else. I like the look of the black step bars on my truck too, I think it ties in the black nicely.