DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 2X4 V8
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Rep:10
FLKeysRam2004 is on a distinguished road
Default Either Tranny Fluid or Oil...

So regarding the last post from a few days ago I finally got my truck up on the lift and got a chance to take a look at it. It seemed to me that the transmission fluid pan had been leaking because every bolt that keeps it secure was loose. I tightened them up and am hoping for the best.

However, I got to thinking that maybe it's not the tran. fluid....what if it's the oil? The fluid is all over the underside of the frame and the transmission fluid pan and a few other places... I am at a loss here. The oil filter was snug as could be when I checked it on the lift...

Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated! I thank you all in advance.
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 1500 Mega Cab 4X4 3.73
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:185
namretsud has a spectacular aura aboutnamretsud has a spectacular aura about

What color is the oil you are seeing. That will tell all.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Pink usually means Tranny fluid. Anything else means oil. I am only guessing but that's the only two colors I've ever found leaking off my old 01 Dodge

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^yeah. Oil will be blackish or goldish. Trans fluid should be redish. Also, do you have a manual transmission? The rear main oil seal on the engine (around the crankshaft) could be leaking. When they leak the oil usually runs down to the trans pan. Rear main seal leaks are much more common with manual transmissions than with auto transmissions since the clutch is constantly applying/releasing on the pressure plate, which transfers that force through to the crankshaft, causing the seal to wear a bit quicker than with auto trans, where you don't have that force. Just something else to look for.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 2X4 V8
Color: Red
Rep:10
FLKeysRam2004 is on a distinguished road

It's an automatic. The leak seems to be black in color but when i put the truck on the lift yesterday all of the bolts for the transmissions pan were loose. Is the main oil seal a hard and/or expensive fix? If this is the case of course. When checking the oil and trans fluid levels yesterday, oil was low and trans was fine. I'm just afraid ita going to be a major repair that costs buku bucks!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKeysRam2004 View Post
It's an automatic. The leak seems to be black in color but when i put the truck on the lift yesterday all of the bolts for the transmissions pan were loose. Is the main oil seal a hard and/or expensive fix? If this is the case of course. When checking the oil and trans fluid levels yesterday, oil was low and trans was fine. I'm just afraid ita going to be a major repair that costs buku bucks!
It's not uncommon to find the transmission fluid pan to have loose bolts, you have an aluminum bell housing so after it heats up and cools down the bolts loosen a little. I always go back every oil change and just attach a inch lb torque wrench and check. Anyways if your rear main seal is leaking it's a cheap repair if you do it yourself of course. Maybe 100 bucks to fix the seal, I say 100 because I usually replace the oil pan gasket and do an oil change and I use valvoline so thats 22-25 bucks and then I use the OEM filter which is around 5-6 bucks. So yea in the end it's a 100 dollar repair, but hey you don't have to worry about it for a long time.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Sounds like an oil leak if the fluid was black and your oil was low. Rear main seal is not a "simple" fix. How many miles are on the truck? Could be leaking oil at the oil pan, check to see that those bolts aren't loose. Could also be coming from up above like the valve covers.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 AM

The rear main seal is cheap, but you have to pull the trans, oil pan, etc... just want to let the OP know it's not an "easy" fix...

Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
The rear main seal is cheap, but you have to pull the trans, oil pan, etc... just want to let the OP know it's not an "easy" fix...
You don't have to pull the transmission to replace the rear main seal, maybe on some of the GM's yes but he has a dodge, and the dodge magnum engines matched with any torqueflite don't require removal of the transmission to access the rear main bearing cap and seal. I have done it before on a Magnum engine and it is an easy fix and again don't need to remove the transmission. But I agree with you about checking other places for leaks before jumping to a conclusion. Anyways to the owner, here's a trick you can use to find oil leaks, use baby powder and put baby powder all over the engine were their is oily residue, if their is a leak it will show run lines of oil on the fresh powder.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:07 AM

^ok, didn't know that. I don't see how you could get the seal on without removing the flywheel though. Two piece seal?