DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram – 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-03-2015, 07:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006
Rep:10
BigHo is on a distinguished road
Default Park Sense Alarm

Has anyone tried to disable the park sense alarm on their Ram Diesel? It's touted as a "feature", but it's really a pain in the rear-end.
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1909
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Enabling And Disabling ParkSense®

ParkSense® can be enabled and disabled with the ParkSense® switch.

When the ParkSense switch is pressed to disable the system, the instrument cluster will display the “PARKSENSE OFF” message for approximately five seconds. Refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information. When the shift lever is moved to REVERSE and the system is disabled, the EVIC will display the “PARKSENSE OFF” message for as long as the vehicle is in REVERSE.

NOTE: The ParkSense® system will automatically disable when the system detects that a trailer with trailer brakes has been connected to the Integrated Trailer Brake Module. The EVIC will display “PARKSENSE OFF” message for as long as the vehicle is in reverse.

The ParkSense® switch LED will be ON when ParkSense® is disabled or defective. The ParkSense® switch LED will be OFF when the system is enabled.

If the ParkSense switch is pressed, and the system is disabled or requires service, the ParkSense switch LED will blink momentarily, and then the LED will be ON.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the reply RamTech, but my '06 Ram doesn't have a park sense switch, much less an EVIC.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1909
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Since your truck is an '06, the system it has is Park Assist, not Park Sense, which is in the DS trucks. There should be a button to disable the Park Assist in the switch bank in the center of the dash.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Oops, my fault. I wasn't clear about what "feature" I was asking about in my original post. What I meant was the "no park sense alarm." This is the feature that activates the horn and lights (alarm) if the driver's door is opened and the transmission is not in park. It's a pain in the butt if you're trying to line up a trailer hitch, etc.
Sorry for the confusion...
Old 02-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Just wanted to bump the thread to see if anyone finds this "feature" as annoying as I do. There must be some way to defeat it, right?
To clarify, the "no park sense" alarm activates the horn and headlights whenever the driver's door is opened and the transmission is not in park, like when you're backing a boat trailer down a narrow ramp, or trying to line up your trailer hitch with to your trailer.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge RAM 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft
RipVan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHo View Post
Just wanted to bump the thread to see if anyone finds this "feature" as annoying as I do. There must be some way to defeat it, right?
To clarify, the "no park sense" alarm activates the horn and headlights whenever the driver's door is opened and the transmission is not in park, like when you're backing a boat trailer down a narrow ramp, or trying to line up your trailer hitch with to your trailer.
I'm surprised that this thread has dropped into "idle"! I experienced the "feature" a couple of times before I realized what might be the cause. I thought that I had inadvertently hit the "PANIC" button on the key fob.
While I can see the benefit of the feature, I can see the need for the ability to temporarily disable it i.e. when backing a trailer.
A friend told me that when he bought his RAM 2500, the dealer asked him if he wanted the feature activated. He said yes before he realized that he would be doing a fair amount of "backing" with his 5th wheel trailer rig. He went back to the dealer to have them disable it and was told that once enabled, disabling was NOT possible!
I think that it wouldn't be impossible to wire an interrupter switch into the horn relay circuit to at least turn the horn off during backing operations at the boat ramp or in the campground.
RipVan