DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport CC
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
kardys35 is on a distinguished road
Default Brake Controller Install

Just wanted to say Whats Up to everyone as I am new here and a have a question to anyone who installed the Integrated brake controller. How do you remove the factory bezel and what size screws do I need seeing as how they dont supply them for you. Any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crew Cab, 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red/Sandstone
Rep:91
dgard61 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardys35 View Post
Just wanted to say Whats Up to everyone as I am new here and a have a question to anyone who installed the Integrated brake controller. How do you remove the factory bezel and what size screws do I need seeing as how they dont supply them for you. Any help will be appreciated.
Check out this thread. Hope it help's. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=52410
Vent Visor's, Bug Deflector, Chrome Fuel Door, Bak Flip G2 Tonneau Cover, Bed Extender, EZ Down Tailgate Dampener, Line X Spray in Box Liner, WeatherTech Winter Mats, Husky Moulded Mud Flaps, Billet Tech Oil Catch Can, 12" S/S Antenna Mast, Chrome T/G Handle, Mopar CAI, Painted Engine Cover, Billet Tech Polished Underhood Cap's, Front Window Tint, Billet Hitch Cover, Anti-Theft Valve Cap's, MGP Caliper Covers, Retractable S/S Stake Pocket Anchors, Mopar Trailer Brake Controller, Recon LED Light Bar, Polished Billet Lock Pins, Mopar S/S Door Sills, Interior LED's, Mopar LED Cargo Bed Lights, Billet Throttle Body Cover
Old 03-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the link....was very helpful. Here's finished product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0034.jpg (122.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardys35 View Post
Thanks for the link....was very helpful. Here's finished product.
Your welcome! Look's like you did a great job.
Vent Visor's, Bug Deflector, Chrome Fuel Door, Bak Flip G2 Tonneau Cover, Bed Extender, EZ Down Tailgate Dampener, Line X Spray in Box Liner, WeatherTech Winter Mats, Husky Moulded Mud Flaps, Billet Tech Oil Catch Can, 12" S/S Antenna Mast, Chrome T/G Handle, Mopar CAI, Painted Engine Cover, Billet Tech Polished Underhood Cap's, Front Window Tint, Billet Hitch Cover, Anti-Theft Valve Cap's, MGP Caliper Covers, Retractable S/S Stake Pocket Anchors, Mopar Trailer Brake Controller, Recon LED Light Bar, Polished Billet Lock Pins, Mopar S/S Door Sills, Interior LED's, Mopar LED Cargo Bed Lights, Billet Throttle Body Cover
Old 03-12-2011, 02:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Jgroes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgard61 View Post
Check out this thread. Hope it help's. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=52410
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I've got a couple questions for the group regarding the OEM TBC install.

I installed a OEM TBC, following the instructions above on my 2010 CC TRX. I had both grey connectors so no splicing was required. I have not flashed the chip so it's not showing up in the EVIC. Regardless, I've read that the TBC should still engage the breaks without it showing in the EVIC.

I can not get the breaks on the trailer to engage at all. I would like to troubleshoot this weekend but was looking for some advice on where/how to start.

First of all, for those that have successfully installed their TBC, what does the display look like as you start your truck and thereafter? Immediately upon starting my truck up the TBC display fully lights up with an exclamation point for 1-2 seconds. After this the TBC goes blank and remains that way with the trailer hooked up whether I engage the breaks or not. The only time I can get the TBC to display the setting it's on (2.5, 4.0 etc...) is when I squeeze the manual slider on the TBC.

Next, when you're looking at the 7 way connector on the bottom left of the license plate, what is the position of the brake connector? I've seen varying schematics for this. The shop manual shows the brake connector in the 3rd bay, or at the 7PM position as you're looking at it. Assuming the correct connector is the 3rd bay, or at the 7PM position as you're looking at it, what kind of reading should I get on a multimeter? And, will the reading be static, or will it vary by how much gain you have set on the TBC?

Thanks for the help guys. I just want to make the TBC is hooked up correctly before I begin looking at the trailer.

Cheers,
JG
Old 03-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgroes View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I've got a couple questions for the group regarding the OEM TBC install.

I installed a OEM TBC, following the instructions above on my 2010 CC TRX. I had both grey connectors so no splicing was required. I have not flashed the chip so it's not showing up in the EVIC. Regardless, I've read that the TBC should still engage the breaks without it showing in the EVIC.

I can not get the breaks on the trailer to engage at all. I would like to troubleshoot this weekend but was looking for some advice on where/how to start.

First of all, for those that have successfully installed their TBC, what does the display look like as you start your truck and thereafter? Immediately upon starting my truck up the TBC display fully lights up with an exclamation point for 1-2 seconds. After this the TBC goes blank and remains that way with the trailer hooked up whether I engage the breaks or not. The only time I can get the TBC to display the setting it's on (2.5, 4.0 etc...) is when I squeeze the manual slider on the TBC.

Next, when you're looking at the 7 way connector on the bottom left of the license plate, what is the position of the brake connector? I've seen varying schematics for this. The shop manual shows the brake connector in the 3rd bay, or at the 7PM position as you're looking at it. Assuming the correct connector is the 3rd bay, or at the 7PM position as you're looking at it, what kind of reading should I get on a multimeter? And, will the reading be static, or will it vary by how much gain you have set on the TBC?

Thanks for the help guys. I just want to make the TBC is hooked up correctly before I begin looking at the trailer.

Cheers,
JG
I did read in the mentioned thread that some people had trouble with TBC not working. Apparently 1 of the 2 grey connectors wasn't inserted all the way. I think it should click when pushed in all the way. You may want to check that first.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

DGAR61,

Have tried that but I don't recall a click sound. I'll give that a shot this morning and see if my kid can lend me his ears as mine are about half shot. Thanks for the quick reply.

JG
Old 03-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I just checked mine key is on and all lights illuminate on controller. The 7 pin on truck shows the trailer brake on the bottom right pin. Maybe your trailer is wired differently.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Got a chance to troubleshoot the TBC this morning. Still having issues and can't get the brakes to engage on the trailer. Here's a summary of what I did:

-Re-connected both connectors to the TBC, ensuring a solid fit, both of which gave off a click when seeded.
-Upon starting up the truck, all the lights lit up on the TBC for 1-2 seconds, at which time the TBC went completely dark. The TBC does not light up while depressing the brake, only while using the manual gain sliders. This is no change from before.
-Measured the bottom right of the 7 pin receptacle below the license plate with a multi-meter. I could get no consistent readings before or while the brake pedal or manual gain sliders were activated. Measured voltage was bouncing back and forth between .18-.59 on the multi-meter. Again, the measurements bounced up and down regardless if the TBC was engaged or what the gain was set on.
-I measured the voltage on the green wire behind the bumper that is the match with the lower right on the 7 pin receptacle beneath the license plate. I came up with the same measurements as above.
-I measured the green wire immediately off the A4 terminal of the TBC. Readings were the same as above.

All other functions work on the trailer (lights, turn signals, etc...) At this point with the voltage variance, regardless of whether the brakes or manual sliders are engaged has me thinking it may be a bad TBC? Has anyone measured the voltage on the dark green trailer brake tow wire, as I'm curious as to what readings you came up with? I'm open to suggestions for further troubleshooting before I hit up the dealership for a new TBC.

Thanks for the help guys....

Cheers,
JG
Old 03-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgroes View Post
Got a chance to troubleshoot the TBC this morning. Still having issues and can't get the brakes to engage on the trailer. Here's a summary of what I did:

-Re-connected both connectors to the TBC, ensuring a solid fit, both of which gave off a click when seeded.
-Upon starting up the truck, all the lights lit up on the TBC for 1-2 seconds, at which time the TBC went completely dark. The TBC does not light up while depressing the brake, only while using the manual gain sliders. This is no change from before.
-Measured the bottom right of the 7 pin receptacle below the license plate with a multi-meter. I could get no consistent readings before or while the brake pedal or manual gain sliders were activated. Measured voltage was bouncing back and forth between .18-.59 on the multi-meter. Again, the measurements bounced up and down regardless if the TBC was engaged or what the gain was set on.
-I measured the voltage on the green wire behind the bumper that is the match with the lower right on the 7 pin receptacle beneath the license plate. I came up with the same measurements as above.
-I measured the green wire immediately off the A4 terminal of the TBC. Readings were the same as above.

All other functions work on the trailer (lights, turn signals, etc...) At this point with the voltage variance, regardless of whether the brakes or manual sliders are engaged has me thinking it may be a bad TBC? Has anyone measured the voltage on the dark green trailer brake tow wire, as I'm curious as to what readings you came up with? I'm open to suggestions for further troubleshooting before I hit up the dealership for a new TBC.

Thanks for the help guys....

Cheers,
JG
Sorry to hear about your problem's with ITBC. Wish I could help, but I have never installed one. Try and get in contact with Netman66. He did the install in the thread that I pointed you too in the knowledge base. He is very knowledgeable about the ITBC. Good Luck!

Last edited by dgard61; 03-14-2011 at 01:21 AM.