DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
DTigers87 is on a distinguished road
Default Having trouble finding a lift

I have a 2001 Ram 1500 Sport "Off Road" Package, and its a pain in the ass to try and find a lift for. Im looking for a 5" lift kit, but all the ones I am interested in say they will not fit "Off Road" model. From that I have gathered it basicly just came with a factory 2" taller coil. I was looking at a 5" kit by Topguncustomz that utilized coil spacers, but it said it wouldnt fit the "Off Road" model...Any advice?
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST 4x4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:53
danv802008 will become famous soon enough

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...ght+(in.)_PQ=5

Quite a few came up on this site for it...you might try giving them a call and ask about it...they helped me a lot when i was looking for a lift for my truck.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTigers87 View Post
I have a 2001 Ram 1500 Sport "Off Road" Package, and its a pain in the ass to try and find a lift for. Im looking for a 5" lift kit, but all the ones I am interested in say they will not fit "Off Road" model. From that I have gathered it basicly just came with a factory 2" taller coil. I was looking at a 5" kit by Topguncustomz that utilized coil spacers, but it said it wouldnt fit the "Off Road" model...Any advice?
The lifts work, but there's some things you shouldn't do.

BTW, the off road springs aren't any taller just a lot stiffer.

Lifts are rated based on a standard non off road ram. Example: If you add 5 inch front coils to an off road, you only lift it 3 inches over stock but it's still 5 inches (based on a standard ram) and 35 inch tires will fit if you used all the other components.

Now 5 inch coil spacers are another matter. Thats gonna give you about 7 inches over a stock ram. But it also will not allow you to set your front end geometry unless you install a long arm kit and the proper track bar and pitman arm. Don't run a 5 inch spacer anyway. Use 7 inch springs. In other words if you want to lift an off road ram 5 inches over its STOCK hieght, use a 7 inch lift. Honestly, thats too much for a 1500. Ther's a lot of extra work involved, and durability is reduced.

If you only need a couple more inches, you can use a 3 inch spacer (or 5 inch springs) with the correct arms. Use a tough country 5 inch track bar bracket to reset and center your axle, and a drop pitman arm to restore your steering geometry. The ride will be a bit harsher, but you'll be able to run 35 inch tires. Use a 3 inch AAL in the back if you want some rake and load carrying ability, or a 2 inch AAL to level the truck.
Oh last detail, longer sway bar links. You'll increase your roll rate without them.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 03-18-2011 at 11:31 PM.