DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: gray two toned
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Cloudpeak is on a distinguished road
Default Hard, folding bed covers for 2010 Quad Cab

I just traded my 2006 Tacoma for a used 2010 5.7 1500 Quad cab, short box and have been researching bed covers for this truck.

I had a "Fold A Cover" on a 2003 Dodge diesel 2500 Quad Cab Laramie and liked it. I traded the Dodge for a 2006 Tacoma (automatic transmission). Due to a shoulder injury, I couldn't handle the 6 speed manual transmission on the Dodge. A couple of days ago, I traded the Tacoma for a used 2010 Dodge.

I had a roll up "Access" bed cover on the Tacoma and it performed just fine for 5 years but I was always concerned about security and would like to go with a hard cover for the new truck.

From my research on this site, I think I've narrowed my choices to an "Advance" folding cover (aka Kcover) or a "Backflip G2". The Advance cover seems to have a better installation configuration than my old "Fold A Cover". The Backflip G2 also seems to be a better installation.

The best prices I've found, so far, are $609 for the "Advance" and $639 (delivered) for the Backflip G2.

Though there are lots of posts available through search, if anyone is interested in providing additional information on either cover, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to make a decision as quickly as possible as I could get called for a well job at any time and need to have my gear secured.

Though I've only owned the 2010 Dodge a couple of days, I'm tickled as the dickens and the Tacoma is a distant (and not all that pleasant of a memory). I'm happy to be back in the "Dodge fold".

Cloudpeak
Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

i would go with the bak flip thats a sexy cover and im gonna be pickin one up when the tax money comes back lol
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 AM
erm

I keep hearing that the BakFlip owners just love that cover.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
I keep hearing that the BakFlip owners just love that cover.
It does seem like most folks like this cover. I think I only found one or two complaints on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinuminjected View Post
i would go with the bak flip thats a sexy cover and im gonna be pickin one up when the tax money comes back lol
Sorry, but at my age, "sexy" has lost a great deal of it's importance

I do like the fact that, with the Advance (KCover), you can open the cover at the rear without opening the tailgate and can also open the section close to the cab to access items in the front of the box.

Thanks for the comments.

Cloudpeak
Old 03-13-2011, 03:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:43
rickerred is on a distinguished road

I have a trifold, as long as you pick a good name trifold, bakflip you wil be happy

Future Mods: What ever I can sneak by my wife.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I thought I'd post an update.

I bought a Bakflip G2 from Moe's Performance on Mar. 14th and it arrived today, the 17th and I installed it this afternoon. I can't remember when I had such good service. I phoned Moe's Mon. a.m. and left a message. Bob called me 3-4 hours and I ordered the cover.

I'm very impressed with this cover. I had it installed in an hour from the time I opened the box (and found all my tools) to completion. I think it's a well thought out product and represents a good value.

My previous hard cover was a "Fold A Cover" and it gave me good service but was more "fiddly" to install. When I was making my decision between a FAC, Advance & Bakflip, I thought the no lock design was the winner. I did use my front "flap" on my FAC, but there was a lock up front and at the rear and then the tailgate. With the G2, I only have to fool with the factory tailgate lock (which is vastly superior to the "PopLock", IMO).

BTW, the G2 for my 2010 Laramie Quad Cab is a four panel.

I didn't think too much of the heavy, "kinky" tubing included in the kit so went to my "bag of tricks" and pulled out some flexible conduit left over from my airplane building days. It was exactly the diameter needed and I cut a couple of 5" sections and attached to the cover's fitting with small hose clamps. Using the high placed stake hole would put a pretty good kink in the vinyl tubing as can be seen from the install videos. The flex tubing that I had on hand worked very well.

I don't have a picture of the tubing installed (too dark inside the garage) but did take a quick picture of the tubing. Lots of airplane builder's, especially "RV" builder's (the most popular experimental airplane design), use this as wiring conduit. If you live in a big city, you might search "EAA" (Experimental Aircraft Ass.) for local chapters and might be able to "scrounge" some from a builder or perhaps your local NAPA, etc. store might have some.

I have many feet left over from my airplane building days and would be happy to supply fellow Dodge guys if anyone is interested. It will be awhile before I can "pm" due to post count. I guess I can receive pm's, though. Maybe I can reply to pm's I receive?

(Earlier this afternoon, I received a call to go to an oil well job and I will be gone for several days so won't be able to reply to any pm's. I've got to get my gear together and leave tomorrow if everything works out.)

Cloudpeak