DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default HID issue that needs fixing FAST please

For all you lighting pros...

Ran into an issue installing my lights. Got half way done (passenger side fog and low beam) installing my 6k lights. Specifically bought from hidextra.com cause of some reviews shows no flickering of the lights..
For those with a 4th generation truck 4 lamp, I bought just low beam kit n fogs, no high beams...you remember seeing those two circular pieces that twist that seal the outside of the housing. I cut a small hole in the low beam circular cap to feed the wiring and the bulb from HID kit. I didn't have to cut, splice, etc it was all plug and play and easy to figure out (I'm not light savy at all)

Put it all back together to test out the lights and they work. However the fogs 9145 bulbs are perfect n bright. The low beams H11 are bright but they start flickering / dimming. They do have moments where no flickering is going on and its perfect then it goes back to it. THE WEIRD thing, is when my truck is completely off and I turn my lights on, all lights work fine. As soon as I turn on my truck the passenger side starts to flicker/dim. I made sure to mount the ballasts in the same spots as the driver side. So I start thinking to myself, maybe its a bad ballast? On the flip side, a bad ballast would probably not allow the HID to run properly while my truck is off right? Could it be a bulb? Same thing, why would it be perfect when the truck is off? I am lost and annoyed with this passenger side low beam light

What did I do wrong or what can I do to fix it?

Fast replies are appreciated lol I am on shift tomorrow at the fire dept and would love for my lights to run good before I gotta be gone for 24 hours.
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

hmmm im not too sure about this one bud but i would just double check all the connections and make sure they are in right and all that good stuff but as for now that is all i can think of but if i think about something i will be sure to post it and im sure there will be others chime in on this
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

You need a relay harness for the low beams, we all have them and it fixes the flickering dimming issue!
Old 03-13-2011, 07:43 PM
erm

Sometimes a relay will work, sometimes it's a cap that's needed. These headlights are weird to work with.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Is the relay harness specific for certain kits? Easy to install? This probably was one of the easiest installs as its all plug and play. If they aren't specific which would you recommend getting it from or can you local?

thx for the tips so far!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:33 PM
erm

AAC & 3B Spec both have kits that are reputed to work.

DDM kits, even with their recommended resistor, did not work on my truck.

I'm gonna pass on HIDCountry and try Retro Solutions next. Right now I have my DDM low beams wired independently from the entire headlight system to eliminate the flicker issue.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:48 PM

Okay,

Well back to the relay.. How come one light would be constant and not flicker and the other is always flickering? I spent all weekend on these things and still kicking my ass lol...

I found relay harness on V-leds.com I guess it's universal? Any other things recommended or should I try caps first and which kinds do I need?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:20
mortelec is on a distinguished road

Hidextra.com in my opinion is a joke. Their customer service sucksand they dont send you all the parts the first time as promised. I ended up buying a second kit from Todd at retro solution llc. You pay more but his kit is a plug and play and it works. Mine worked perfect the first time. You can also call or email him anytime and he will answer your questions and help you out. I am hoping to get my money back from hidextra but may be out of luck.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

Yeah, they aren't the best customer service wise, but I spent 70 bucks and my lights work great! The harnesses are like 12 bucks, and a piece of cake to install. Here's my thread with install pics.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=70224
Old 03-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Bright white
Rep:435
Outlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really nice

well there are two issues here. one is plug and play hid kit. FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what you need to fix that and where to get it

pic of mine on at night

the other is flickering as you said. this is what you need to fix that and where to get it. i run the exact same ones in the link and have had ZERO flickers since install.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-K...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by Outlaw; 03-14-2011 at 12:19 AM.