DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
trentowens92 is on a distinguished road
Default what do i use??

ok i am about to change the water pump to see if it fixes the problem i have had with leaking antifreeze under the radator cap.i changed the thermostat and it slowed it a little bit but didnt fix the problem.the water pump is making a little noise but not much.

first i am getting a reman water pump...whats your thoughts on that?

and secont, when i go to get antifreeze to refill it, how much do i need?i am not sure how much will be lost.also, i have been refilling it with the "all makes and models" kind of antifreeze.what should i refill it with?

any suggestions will be a great help.
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If you're leaking coolant from under the cap, why would you suspect a pump problem and not a cap or cracked radiator neck?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:20 AM

well i have tried 4 different caps and none solved the problem.the one i have now is from the crysler dealer and was ordered by the vin number, so it should be correct.as for cracks i cant see any and i had it pressure tested and it didnt show any leaks anywhere.that makes me think something is clogged up or something.there seems to be some noise coming from the water pump and i have heard that the blades in it can get worn out causing it to slow down or stop.that makes it build up pressure, but is letting enough through that it doesnt overheat.

also, i have seen on some other forums(through web surfing) that people that have had this problem fixed the water pump and thermostat and their problem was solved.

i get what your saying, and yeah it confuses me too, but id rather get the water pump than just go buy a radiator somewhere.that can get expensive.

on the other hand me and the place i got the truck from have been having some issues just because they sold me a truck that seems to never have been taken care of...i was able to get enough money out of them to get the stuff to change my ball joints and a water pump(in other words its not my money haha) so since i have it im gonna try it.im not losing any money on the deal so i might as well try it.

any other suggestions on what it might be though?im lost.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 AM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Water pumps can and do wear out and if yours is noisy changing it is a good idea. It is kind of hard to imagine there wouldn't be an overheating issue though. I'm thinking if the radiator you have is an aftermarket, the caps may not be fitting correctly but still passing a pressure test because the tester fits tighter. I say this because I have seen it happen before but it is pretty rare.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:23 PM

how would I no if it's aftermarket?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:25 PM

You'd need to compare it to a stock one. Many aftermarket radiators look very similar and I can't recall seeing a part number on a factory radiator that you can look for.