DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 1500 Quad SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black on Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
HOTHEAD is on a distinguished road
Default Traction question/ plz help

I have posted this in another forum, and figured I might receive better information here.

Basically, I had a 2000 Dakota Sport Quad cab 4.7. This truck was BY FAR the best truck I have ever driven as far as traction in the snow. I could drive that truck offroad, uphill, through feet of snow. Do 65 down the interstate in a blizzard, and even plowed driveways towards the end of its life, and I could not get this truck to slide or get stuck EVER, even if I tried.

So fast forward, and the truck finally started to rust out on me, and I figured it was time to get a new truck. I was so impressed with that truck I bought a brand new Ram 1500 4x4 quad. I figured same truck, just a little bigger.... WRONG
This Ram is the biggest POS I have ever owned as far as traction. If its raining I had better stock up on supplies because I'll probably get stuck in my driveway if we get some fog in the morning. No really, its that bad. It has the ESP traction control system, and decent tires, so I figured there has to be a mechanical reason why this truck is so bad compared to that Dakota.( size, weight, rear end)

If I try to get into my driveway with 1 inch of snow, I can feel the traction system kick on, almost like the feeling of ABS in the pedal:icon_frown::icon_frown: So at 1 inch of snow, the tires are breaking loose to the point where it thinks that the truck is out of control. This is while doing an impressive 3 MPH in my driveway mind you. So I decided to do my homework and found out that I could disable the ESP button, and decided to give this a try. Our last snowstorm, we had about 3 inches of snow, I shut off the button, and took a little trip down our interstate. At about 40 miles an hour, the rear end came around on me so bad that I was going down the road completely sideways, BUT I'M IN 4 HI, AND ONLY 3 INCHES OF SNOW. Ok turn the ESP back on.

Now before people beat me up about road conditions,tires, or anything other than the truck. Let me just say, I live in upstate NY. (winter driving is SOP) I have plowed either for myself, or other people, for the last decade, and have owned multiple 4x4's of every make, size, and type since the 70's. From mid 2000's F250's, to K5 Blazers, to Chevy short box's to that Dakota. This truck is the worst.

So I an coming to you guys to ask what you think could be the issue. I have already tried turning off the ESP. I don't mind leaving it on , but when it kicks in, it drops out tire speed and torque. I'm sure that it is some kind of safety feature but there are definitely times you want momentum and your tires moving as not to get stuck. But when this detects slippage, it kind of ratchets the tires. I wondered about the differences that there may be in the rear ends. From what I've read, my truck may have come with a type of rear end that never goes posi, and I don't know what the Dakota had, but this might be the reason.

So what say you? Any suggestions? I am not saying that I want this to be a plow truck (that is another thread all together. But possibly a back up in case my plow truck breaks down) But compared to the type of traction I am used to, it seems like it would literally not be possible to use a truck with this set up for plowing. Can I convert the rear end to something that goes Posi?

What say you
Regards
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The factory Goodyears on your truck are crap IMO and many others will tell you the same. Getting rid of those tires for something more snow friendly will be a huge help. If you have 3.55 gears then you have the open differential. The 3.92 gears have factory installed limited slip. Yes, you can upgrade to a limited slip diff if you so choose.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
The factory Goodyears on your truck are crap IMO and many others will tell you the same. Getting rid of those tires for something more snow friendly will be a huge help. If you have 3.55 gears then you have the open differential. The 3.92 gears have factory installed limited slip. Yes, you can upgrade to a limited slip diff if you so choose.

How can I tell which rear end set up I have for sure? Also, which is better limited slip or open? Lastly, any idea what something like this costs? Even Ballpark? Is it something I go to the dealer for or do I track down an after market customization or rear end shop?

Thank you for the help
Regards
HOTHEAD
Old 03-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Richie

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:12
LUBINATOR is on a distinguished road
Default Traction

Quote:
Yes, I agree with the above.

I have stock tires but I have the 3.92 rear, realistically unless you have this limited slip diff, then you do not have a true 4 wheel drive.

The ESP , which I have and can turn off or on, is a "Braking" assist for possible slippery/wet road conditions, not gonna give you both wheels biting at the same time.

Go on a gravel or dirt road, and from a stand still floor the truck. If you see dual tire tracks digging in you have a lim slip.

My friend has the same truck as you almost to the T and he has traction troubles. I live and work in NY state and NJ and my 2009 had no trouble unless I was pushing snow with my bumper.

I believe you can upgrade to the 3.92 rear, but I would not be sure of the cost. I f your under warranty I would let Dodge do it and ask about the coverage.

Hope all goes better

Richie
RAM 1500 SLT QC 2009 INFERNO RED, ARE Lift Lid ,Spray on Bed Liner, K&N Drop In, Pioneer DEH P8400UB, Alpine Amp, Mopar Kicker sets in all doors and dash, 2 Polk 10" Subs, Polk AMP, SteelCraft Nerf Bars, Mopar Fog Lights, CalTrend Seat Covers, WeatherTech Front Mats, Putco SS Fender Liners, SuperBumper SS Hitch Step/Impact Absorber, Onki Aegis SS Center Guard, PIAA 2100 driving lights
Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Look on the front or rear axle tubes for a sticker with the gear ratio printed on it. The limited slip option is definately what you want for what you're doing and where you live. If you don't have it, you can upgrade to it and I would expect it to cost around $1000 give or take, depending one the labor rates in your area. You can have the work done at the dealer or at any qualified shop with either Mopar or aftermarket parts.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:05 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:167
rtkman has a spectacular aura aboutrtkman has a spectacular aura about

I come up my steep driveway in 2wd routinely in snow with no issues and I have 3.55's without the limited slip. I don't see an issue.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Look on the front or rear axle tubes for a sticker with the gear ratio printed on it. The limited slip option is definately what you want for what you're doing and where you live. If you don't have it, you can upgrade to it and I would expect it to cost around $1000 give or take, depending one the labor rates in your area. You can have the work done at the dealer or at any qualified shop with either Mopar or aftermarket parts.
Thank you for the info, I will check for those stickers and go from there. I appreicate it.

HOTHEAD
Old 03-14-2011, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: 09 Ram 5.7 Hemi 4x4, 3.55
Trim Level: SLT Lone Star,
Color: Lt. Graystone Prl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
Bearwhiz is on a distinguished road

I checked with the dealer to have my 3.55 changed to the 3.92 and was quoted about 3000.00 bucks. I have 4x4 so they have to both differentials. I dont need it that bad.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Just to update, the axles have 355 on them. This mean open and not LS correct?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwhiz View Post
I checked with the dealer to have my 3.55 changed to the 3.92 and was quoted about 3000.00 bucks. I have 4x4 so they have to both differentials. I dont need it that bad.

3K...That will suck, I'd be better off trading it in.