DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Interior Cleaning and Maintenance!

Notices

Interior Cleaning and Maintenance! Keeping the inside clean!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:68
jdRAM88 will become famous soon enough
Default some clay bar questions

hello everyone i have been using a liquid clay bar and now im looking into getting a meguiars clay bar but i was wondering how far one bar went.... and it seems like it comes in an air tight pack.. so does it dry out after one use or is one bar only enough to do my truck once? any help would be great thank you !!
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2011, 07:59 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:637
sk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to all

I purchased one last week and there was quite a bit left when I was done. Did not work very good at getting water spots out however.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

when ever iv used clay bar the 1 stick was enough and i never reuse it but i tried the meguires and didnt really like the outcome so i bought the turtlewax ice and the ice wax and i looooooooove it its all im gonna use now
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

I like the ICE too, have tried the clay bar on my wife's Scion took most all day haven't hit the truck with it yet. Have to set aside a full day for it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I've used the Meguiar's, and I've found it to work well. It's a bit of a PITA but I think that is to be expected. I've used the same "clay bar" more than once, so no worries there. I ran low on the spray.. but I've found that just about any of the spray detailers will work just as well.

On my '08 it didn't work that great, as it tended to leave black spots everywhere that were a real bugger to get off, but on my '10 I've had no problems (done it twice now).

After I'm done, I seal the bar up in a ziplock bag, and it's ready to go next time.

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM

Vehicle: 97 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:55
Ram15002ndgen will become famous soon enough

I don't know what kit you are looking at, but I bought the McGuire's kit that brought 2 clay bars, cleaner wax, clay lubricant, and a 2x2 microfiber towel. Cost me around $25 at Walmart. I have used in on a couple of cars and am still using the first bar. It comes with a plastic storage case that keeps it fresh for your next use. What you have to remember is that the clay bar is like Playdoe. You use is on a panel, then kneed the dirt into the bar, use again, kneed again and move the dirt inside the bar. You keep going until it gets really dirty then toss it. I keep my vehicles garaged all the time so my results may be different. I clayed my truck a couple or three years ago, and it still feels smooth like a baby's butt. If you keep it outside you may need to do it more often. You can do the entire vehicle easily with one bar and in short order

Remember to wash the car first and use Palmolive or any dish washing liquid. Yes, I know that sounds stupid, but you want to get the wax off completely before you clay bar the body. Don't be afraid to use too much of the lubricant. If the bar sticks it will scratch. You will be AMAZED how easy it is and the results you get. It actually slides very easily and you get done quickly. You will notice that when the vehicle is dirty it will be hard to move. Once it is sliding around like glass, That's it, you are done, move on. You are only removing the contaminants on top of the paint. It will NOT remove scratches, blemishes, water marks, etc. That's what polishes are for. With doing the clay first you will find that your polish will work much, much better. If you don't clay first you have to wear through the waxes and contaminants to fix what you want to get at. More polish wasted to get down to the actual paint.

Last edited by Ram15002ndgen; 03-14-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

I detailed cars for a couple years at a dealership.
I actually enjoyed using clay bars because you can really see the results. You can use the same clay bar over and over, when it gets pretty dirty and gritty you just mold it a little bit like play dough and go back at it.
I usually just used water in a spray bottle and sprayed both the paint and clay bar and kept them soaked. I've never had a car take more then an hour to do. I'd much rather clay bar then wax.
A clay bar is non-abrasive and is supposed to remove the dirt, grit and grime from you paint before you polish it and wax it. It keeps you from rubbing everything into your paint. There not supposed to replace polishing and waxing.
Turtle wax has there own clay bar kit now but I dont know anything about it.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC BH in JBP
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn 4x2
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
KickToTheJunk is on a distinguished road

Hey all, new guy here (see welcome section). Just traded a Corvette for my truck, so I've got some detailing background in my pocket. Felt I could add to the thread.

As of right now, all clay bars are basically the same (USA). One company owns the patent and they control it all. (so to speak). There are different colors and different firmness levels, but overall they are all the same. THAT WILL CHANGE at the end of 2011. The patent is up and there are detail companies all over the place right now that are designing their own clay to suit their clients.

Since I don't know the rules here yet, I won't say the brand I use. Guy's name begins with A and he has his own polishes. I'll put it like that. I have about $1000 of his polishes and love them.

When claying, first, use a sandwich baggy or a wal-mart bag (if that's all you have) and with 2 fingers inside the bag, feel your paint - even after you just washed it. Feels like 80 grit eh? Now, get some detail spray and wet that clay bar down as well as the surface (be generous with the spray) and scrub that baby for a minute. Then, wipe the area dry with a clean microfiber cloth. Then do the baggy test again. Like glass eh? If not, keep scrubbing!

Process :
1. Wash (use dawn if claying)
2. Clay with plenty of detail spray. At least 100gram bar. Turn the bar into itself often to create a clean clay surface.
3. Swirl/Haze Remover with a Flex or Porter Cable 7424xp. Use a halogen light in the shade to see if you have swirls still, if yes, keep going, if not... ready for step 4.
4. Polish. I use machine polishes and my Porter Cable - awesome
5. Wax. I use Machine Fine Superwax on mine, then let it cure for a few days, then wash and follow with a higher grade (won't say product name) hand wax. Then use a glaze over that.

When done, you can look at your paint and see the future. If not, try again.

Watch vids on Youtube by Junkman2008 (or Junkman2000, forget which it is). His name is AJ. he's amazing and mildly entertaining to boot.

Hope I helped, and didn't overdo it.

-bob
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

Good post,

as long as your not a vendor for the stuff you can say company names.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough

So can you not just wash and clay? I personally rarely have the time to just wash my truck so when I do get a chance I like to do it which normally means having to get it done pretty quick and I just NEVER have enough free time to wax the truck. I have always wanted to try a claybar and I don't see that taking to long to do after a quick wash but does the clay dull the paint or something? Is that why you wax after claying?