DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough
Default a/c condensor

Well it is a big shroud and may be hidden out of sight, but I saw no AC condenser/fan unit like you have described. But looking thru the front of the grill I may have discovered the answer...I saw a longish finned tube mounted horizontaly in front of the a/c radiator and just inside the grill near the bottom. There was no fan, but could this tube be my condensor. and merely cooled by the flow of air over the fins as I drive instead of a fan?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambers View Post
From looking over the parts page here http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0, your truck should have a clutch fan. It will be hidden by the shroud shown in the diagram as part #4. Does your truck have what looks like a little radiator off to the driver side w/ an electric fan on it. The 02-08's were this way, that is for the AC condenser. Then the radiator had a clutch fan under the shroud to cool it. On the 09 hemi that I saw they changed the setup so the condenser was attached to the radiator and the clutch fan and efan for the AC were both behind the radiator. Yours could be like that.
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2011, 09:09 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Well it is a big shroud and may be hidden out of sight, but I saw no AC condenser/fan unit like you have described. But looking thru the front of the grill I may have discovered the answer...I saw a longish finned tube mounted horizontaly in front of the a/c radiator and just inside the grill near the bottom. There was no fan, but could this tube be my condensor. and merely cooled by the flow of air over the fins as I drive instead of a fan?
How about posting some pics dancianne? I know all the v8 4th gen trucks have electric AND mechanical fans....not sure about the v6....but if you posted some pics I could tell you.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:12 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:29
chambers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancianne View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Power steering cooler probably like this http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=213674&cha pter=&Sectionids=0,2308&groupid=4296&subgroupid=41 57&componentid=0&make=8&model=Ram%201500&year=2011 &graphicID=TM09055&callout=1&catalogid=2&displayCa talogid=0. If you don't have a smaller radiator (AC condenser) off to the drivers side then I assume it's hidden behind the radiator along w/ your fans, it would need a fan to work. When the truck is off and engine cool, make sure you don't hear a fan moving first, reach into the shroud from the motor side and you will probably feel you clutch fan. It will about the diameter of the shroud opening just up in there a little ways close to the radiator. From the parts site you truck has a clutch fan, so I'm pretty sure it's in there.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:57 AM

Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough

Thanks snrusnak and chambers,
I'll see if I can take a pic but it's pretty hard to even see just peering thru the grill and not sure that I can get a pic,...,maybe a piece of it.
Also, I'll see if I can feel anything hidden behind the corner of the shroud too. Could not visually spot anything like the pic chambers sent though.
Leaving for vacation partytime with friends in Atlanta this morning and won't be back until the weekend is over, so will be out of internet access until I get back. Thanks for your advice !
ps,...snrusnak, I'll hold off on doing my makeup while driving thru Atlanta traffic.
---------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
How about posting some pics dancianne? I know all the v8 4th gen trucks have electric AND mechanical fans....not sure about the v6....but if you posted some pics I could tell you.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:55 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

lol the residents of Atlanta thank you!

Take a picture inside the engine bay too, between the engine and the radiator.

Careful sticking your hand near an electric fan, they can turn on while the engine is off!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:35 PM

Default MPG-v6 3.7 auto

My first long distance trip: 300 miles interstate highway travel, speeds 60 to 70 mph, tires 40 psi, 21 mpg......about average per the EPA.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:10
JumpSteady is on a distinguished road

The 2011 Dodge ram 1500 with the 3.7 does not have a mechanical fan, only 1 electrical fan. Trust me.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:32 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Rep:29
chambers is on a distinguished road

^Cool, one less mod to worry about then for you guys and gals. The clutch fan would have been on the end of the rusted pulley.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 3.7 2004 dodge ram 1500
Rep:10
cyberghost is on a distinguished road

wow i have a 04 1500 and i pull my airboat that has a472 caddi and my dodge you can not tell it is there.i work on the road and travel a lot lot and i luv my dodge i get like 22 24 on the high way i have the 3.7 v6 i have a 5 sp transmission
Old 12-21-2011, 05:20 PM

The 5 speed saves you ^. An under powered vehicle with an auto is a terrible combination. Having a manual helps out a lot.