DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Here's something interesting on the suject of turbo charging the Hemi. Pay close attention to the aluminum vs the cast heads and blocks. [url]www.lxforums.com/board/.../all-aluminum-turbo-gen-iii-hemi-2568 or google All Aluminum Turbo Gen 111 Hemi?????-Lx Forums|Dodge Charger
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crewcab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4
Color: Deep cherry red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Second Life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
Here's something interesting on the suject of turbo charging the Hemi. Pay close attention to the aluminum vs the cast heads and blocks. [url]www.lxforums.com/board/.../all-aluminum-turbo-gen-iii-hemi-2568 or google All Aluminum Turbo Gen 111 Hemi?????-Lx Forums|Dodge Charger

The Ecoboost is an aluminium block and Head, too.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

In my opinion ford is not reliable, and I do not like their styling. I also did not like their old engines. The new engines are great though, the new 5.0L and the new ecoboost engine. Don't be fooled because it is a 6 cylinder, it has more torque at any rpm than the HEMI, and alot more at most rpm. It has over 400ftlb between 2,000rpm and 4,000rpm, and over 350ftlb between 1,500rpm and 5,500rpm. That is damn impressive. Assuming all else being equal, the ecoboost is capable of more pulling power....don't know about faster (ie acceleration). Acceleration would be close I'd guess, but trans, gear ratio, weight, etc....plays a big role. I haven't seen a dyno on the new hemi, but would guess it wouldn't have 400ft lb until around 4,000-5,000 rpm, and wouldn't have nearly that wide of a range with 350ft lb.... Still love the HEMI and hate ford just saying it's a remarkable engine...

Apparently it is durable too, independent testing agencies have performed torture tests showing that it will hold up to extreme duty and overheating of the turbos....how it does in the real world who knows...I expect it will be like all other fords, but with some actual power now.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:44 AM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
In my opinion ford is not reliable, and I do not like their styling. I also did not like their old engines. The new engines are great though, the new 5.0L and the new ecoboost engine. Don't be fooled because it is a 6 cylinder, it has more torque at any rpm than the HEMI, and alot more at most rpm. It has over 400ftlb between 2,000rpm and 4,000rpm, and over 350ftlb between 1,500rpm and 5,500rpm. That is damn impressive. Assuming all else being equal, the ecoboost is capable of more pulling power....don't know about faster (ie acceleration). Acceleration would be close I'd guess, but trans, gear ratio, weight, etc....plays a big role. I haven't seen a dyno on the new hemi, but would guess it wouldn't have 400ft lb until around 4,000-5,000 rpm, and wouldn't have nearly that wide of a range with 350ft lb.... Still love the HEMI and hate ford just saying it's a remarkable engine...

Apparently it is durable too, independent testing agencies have performed torture tests showing that it will hold up to extreme duty and overheating of the turbos....how it does in the real world who knows...I expect it will be like all other fords, but with some actual power now.
I agree, turbos are compared to a deisel when it comes to torque only I don't agree with the extreme testing...it was done by Ford. Google serch complaints from costumers if you really want to hear it from the horses mouth. Also, you mentioned heat...they run so hot that the hood steams like it's on fire when it rains, lol!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
I agree, turbos are compared to a deisel when it comes to torque only I don't agree with the extreme testing...it was done by Ford. Google serch complaints from costumers if you really want to hear it from the horses mouth. Also, you mentioned heat...they run so hot that the hood steams like it's on fire when it rains, lol!
I'm not talking about the videos on their site....I've seen a few articles supposedly by independent companies. I don't know much about the ecoboost, but assume it's intercooled and the turbos have some sort of cooling system (oil maybe?)....couldn't see it ever getting extremely hot even when towing, unless it was a "torture test" scenario, like climing to the top of a mountain with 11,000lb as fast as possible...lol

Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
Well guys....I finally got the answer I was looking for.
A very good friend of mine purchased a 2011 Eco, and let me take it for a drive when only had about 500miles on it. I was impressed, and stated at the time that I wanted to do a real 'street race' after he enough miles on it to consider it properly broken in. Today was that day. He now has 10K miles on it, and I have 14Kmiles on mine. We have virtually identical rear ratios, and both removed any cargo out of our trucks so ran the race(s) with both trucks in basic stock form, with the same 'full tank' of fuel and no cargo.

Race 1 - 1/4mile standing start - I got an excellent view of his tail lights the entire way.
Race 2 - 1/4mile 30mph start - He saw my tails for a bit, I never saw his, but I did get a good view of his sliding rear window.
Race 3 - 1/4 mile 40mph start - He handed me my butt on a platter (speed limiter is higher on his).

We used only the best high-tech facilities (quiet highway), with state of art racing tree (his buddy with a Strion flashlight), and very accurately measured and marked 1/4 mile (440 paces and Duplicolor white paint).

Reality - The Ford Eco out performed me in all real world street racing....hand down!
Reality 2 - When we decided to go for a simple cruise and a coffee, he wanted to go in my truck. Even he thinks it looks better... LOL.

So....I lost 3 races....but sure looked good doing it.

Did you load the torque converter before take off? That would pull a bit of timming and you would lose some power but im not sure that it would make that much diferrence. Also, if you were 4x4, i would have ran it in 4x4 till i got out of the hole, then put it into 2wd. And if he was 4x4 this might have been what he did to get a launch on you. Not to say that you can drive your truck but it does help to have someone who can make the vehicle run right.

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning

Last edited by RamTex; 08-17-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crewcab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4
Color: Deep cherry red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Second Life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTex View Post
Did you load the torque converter before take off? That would pull a bit of timming and you would lose some power but im not sure that it would make that much diferrence. Also, if you were 4x4, i would have ran it in 4x4 till i got out of the hole, then put it into 2wd. And if he was 4x4 this might have been what he did to get a launch on you. Not to say that you can drive your truck but it does help to have someone who can make the vehicle run right.

Ecoboost F150 4x4 are low 14 to mid 14 seconds truck. They are fast.

With good take off (4x4 with brake/boosting)
Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 AM

Very interesting! As much as I don't like ford, I'm glad they are the ones coming up with good products instead of toyota or nissan or honda, etc....

Would hate to see a v6 turbo tundra smoking our american trucks. Ford isn't so bad....but I'll keep my dodge...

You know, you could argue that the v6 turbo is not a "fair" competitor for the hemi, and that the only "fair" competitor would be the 6 cylinder cummins Let's see whose better then

Old 08-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I'm not talking about the videos on their site....I've seen a few articles supposedly by independent companies. I don't know much about the ecoboost, but assume it's intercooled and the turbos have some sort of cooling system (oil maybe?)....couldn't see it ever getting extremely hot even when towing, unless it was a "torture test" scenario, like climing to the top of a mountain with 11,000lb as fast as possible...lol
All turbos get extemely hot...at medium to high speed, I wouldn't call 950 degrees celsius cool, lol! BTW...the turbos are water cooled Honeywell GT 15's mounted directly to the manifolds...right under the driver and passenger sides feet. Good for winter time though... you won't have to worry about cold feet cause they'll be nice and toasty, lol!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 AM

Is it intercooled? Has to be to make that good of power....