DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crewcab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4
Color: Deep cherry red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Second Life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalforge View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging the rams, I Have one! Frankly, this truck is the first Vehicle i've ever fallen in love with. It's the first time since I was a teenager that I've searched for excuses to go drive it. IE, oh, the bird needs a cracker... I'll be right back, going to the store!!

as far as performance is concerned the Ford is better, but like many people have touched on, I'm curious what the long term longevity will be compared to our larger, easier worked hemi's. Ford put equivilant to almost 200,000 miles on the eco boost engine then found that it was still well within spec. But in modern vehicles, 200,000 miles isn't significant. Also, puting 20 years of grime and corrosion on an engine can drasticly change the outcome, especially when you consider that their twin 100,000 rpm turbos have an unfiltered path to the internals of the engine. Anyone here see what happens when a turbo blows up? see what happens to the engine it's tied to? I have... and it's not something I want near an engine on a vehicle I plan on keeping forever. I purchased the unlimited milage and time warantee and I plan on using it. I'm done replacing my $40k truck every couple years, and that's why I bought a RAM.

FF

The F150 Ecoboost used in the Torture Test had 167 000 miles or 168 000 miles at the end.

Yes it was still within spec... But was it true or not... Who knows. Sure was good advertising.

Last edited by Second Life; 08-18-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2011, 11:24 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Rep:12
FireWire is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine at work just got an F 150 EcoBoost.
He did drive a Ram and a Toyota before his purchase.
Says he picked Ford because of gas mileage.
He didn't say what he ended up paying, but he says truck listed at $57K.
If he payed $47 than that is still $11K more than my Ram.
With both of us driving 25000 km per year, he will save $500 per year assuming 2 MPG difference.
His break even point will be in 22 years.
I had 5 F150s before this Ram. I switched because of the looks and price.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Quad Sport
Color: White
Rep:10
farf02 is on a distinguished road

There is a big difference between a 1 year 200,000 mile test, and real life lets say 10 years at 20,000 per year. I also want to hear what ECO owners are getting for economy while towing!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport Crew white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
Focalforge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
A friend of mine at work just got an F 150 EcoBoost.
He did drive a Ram and a Toyota before his purchase.
Says he picked Ford because of gas mileage.
He didn't say what he ended up paying, but he says truck listed at $57K.
If he payed $47 than that is still $11K more than my Ram.
With both of us driving 25000 km per year, he will save $500 per year assuming 2 MPG difference.
His break even point will be in 22 years.
I had 5 F150s before this Ram. I switched because of the looks and price.
You have to compare trim levels to trim levels. I speced out an F150 today and compared options to options. With an Eco boost engine the F150 MSRP came in 1k under my trucks MSRP, but was missing my heated steering wheel, sport hood and factory spray in bedliner. However, if you include the current Dodge insentives, the Dodge comes in almost 4 k under before taking the ford to an aftermarket shop to have the above missing options added.

Overall, all of the big 3's half ton trucks are priced similarly. I still think the Dodge has better fit and finish, and available extended warantee's.

Oh, to answer the fuel economy issue. For a few hundred dollars, you can change a few non warantee voiding items and get almost 5mpg better fuel economy. I had a high flow muffler, Flowmaster 44, welded in, Changed my engine and rear diff oil's to royal purple and installed an Airaid CAI. According to my computer, i'm getting ~18mpg in city driving, where I was getting 14, and 24 on the highway @ 60mph, compared to the 19 I was getting before.

So, including current insentives, and less than $600 in aftermarket parts, I have fuel economy in my ram that is better than the eco boost plus I have a cooler truck that sounds better and looks better, and best of all, I paid less for it than the Ford.

FF

Last edited by Focalforge; 08-19-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 F150
alacey is on a distinguished road

After this I just could not stay away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
The Hemi "Ram" comes detuned all the way across the board from Chrysler. It de-throttles rpms at shift points, torque management is at 75% and the rev limiters are set a few hundred rpms below it's capability to perserve their precious warranty.
Prove it! And I mean from Dodge, not some tuner talk.

Quote:
But while torque produces HP, it's intent is strictly designed for towing and I didn't buy my truck for towing, good...your truck tows better.
That is what a truck is suppose to be used for. I do not own a truck just to say I drive a truck. My truck will have stratch marks in the bed, the trailer hitch will actually be used more then once in the trucks lifetime, the paint will have a few scratches from going though brush at the deer lease and farm. You wanna know why, becuase it's a TRUCK, not a car!

Quote:
That dosen't impress me, I bought it for it's interior and exterior design
You sound like my wife there. She would not care if a hamster cage was powering her SUV, just as long as it "looks good". Again, it is a truck, not a car. If all the "city" truck drivers out there that do not use or need a truck would have just bought a car, then we would probably be paying $2.00 a gallon instead of $3.60. But then again it is you American right to do so.

Quote:
That being said, quit comparing the Hemi to the ecoboost ...
Uhm..... Read the thread's title.

Quote:
and that's after beating two ecos and one Toyota RCSB among others. Grant it, the ecos backed off after a block but the Toy was a full 1/4.
Again... It is a truck, not a car. Please be careful racing on public roads. If you want to hurt yourself then that is your own porogative. I have known too many people in my life who got hurt or worse because a couple of a#$hats wanted to prove whose penise is longer by racing. Seriously, what does racing proove? I am well secure in my manhood, and don't need to prove anything to anybody. Take it to the track please.

Quote:
I am greatful for your service to our country as I am greatful for having served in the same branch 72-76
Thank you for your words, and thank you for your service, Sir.

Quote:
All you have is an over priced brick that gets better gas milage with a higher towing capacity and that's nothing to brag about.
I never thought I would ever hear brick and better gas mileage in the same sentence.

Quote:
...it' fugly and you can't deny it.
Actually I like it, but that is more on opinion instead of fact.

Quote:
Ford did a good job vs power and gas mileage but at a cost that will soon hit your wallets when the warranty expires.
I got a protection plan from my bank like all my vehicles, even my old Dodge. The Eco is better in my wallet then my Hemi atm with the $1,800+ I will save in fuel cost a year. Each turbo costs $830 from Ford, so I am ahead buy the time I get past my warranty.

Quote:
I could care less about the gas milage and towing...you win there.
You should care about gas milage. Everytime you fill up, you are just giving more money to those $#&@ who put a bullet through my leg and killled my commrades just so you can go race. Some people should not own trucks if they don't use them for what they are intended for. But again, it is your American right to do so, and I would fight anyone who would try to take that away.

Quote:
the turbos are water cooled Honeywell GT 15's mounted directly to the manifolds
Actually, the 3.5 Ecoboost in the SHO is a Honeywell. The one in the F150 is a Borg Warner. The same people that make the turbos for Detroit Diesel, and if you were in the military then you would know how well the Detroit held up. Also, I her=ard someone say you have to use 91+ octane in the Eco's. I have read the manual, and no where does it say that 91+ octane is required. I have been running regular unlead with no ussues.

Quote:
Lol...it has less power than the hemi but it has more torque...get it right, lol! And 14's is unbelievable because I beat two of them already....
Again, please take it to the track. A person dying is not worth trying to prove who has the biggest stick or engine. The only thing it proves is that the both of you do not have any respect for the people that you may hurt.

I still believe the Eco is better for what I need it for. I will take you up on your offer and keep posting on my future progress. I will be honest and unbiased if I have any issues.

Last edited by alacey; 08-19-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 F150
alacey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by farf02 View Post
There is a big difference between a 1 year 200,000 mile test, and real life lets say 10 years at 20,000 per year. I also want to hear what ECO owners are getting for economy while towing!

Farf, I have a post about the EB towing vs. the Hemi on page 10 of this thread. It has some towing mpg numbers vs my old hemi. The numbers are factual and unbiased. I could care less on what truck I drive as long as it does the job I need it to do. I am not trying to hype up the Eco unless it is a fact.

Last edited by alacey; 08-19-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport Crew white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
Focalforge is on a distinguished road

I found, IMHO, a perfect use for the ECO Boost engine. http://youtu.be/btViXvIDsi0

Really, the video is interesting, The car is powered by a highly modified 2.0l eco boost, and the driver came in 23rd out of 26 in the 2010 WRC season. Please understand, Ken is a fantastic driver and the video show's this. My point, bringing up his 2010 record, is to show the caliber of drivers in the WRC. In the US, we have Nascar, everywhere else in the world, there is WRC and Formula 1. Just adding a little culture to our lives.

FF
Old 08-19-2011, 03:49 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalforge View Post
I found, IMHO, a perfect use for the ECO Boost engine. http://youtu.be/btViXvIDsi0

Really, the video is interesting, The car is powered by a highly modified 2.0l eco boost, and the driver came in 23rd out of 26 in the 2010 WRC season. Please understand, Ken is a fantastic driver and the video show's this. My point, bringing up his 2010 record, is to show the caliber of drivers in the WRC. In the US, we have Nascar, everywhere else in the world, there is WRC and Formula 1. Just adding a little culture to our lives.

FF
Nice video, that's some bad a** driving! I like the exhaust bombs....awesome! Believe it or not, there's are lots American muscle car fanantics all over the world. Google "Hemi Cuda Sweden" and check out Tommy Tiger's American muscle toys. I tried to post it but couldn't get the link to work.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:00 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacey View Post
Farf, I have a post about the EB towing vs. the Hemi on page 10 of this thread. It has some towing mpg numbers vs my old hemi. The numbers are factual and unbiased. I could care less on what truck I drive as long as it does the job I need it to do. I am not trying to hype up the Eco unless it is a fact.
Is this your truck? http://youtu.be/XqCh658qG7g
Old 08-19-2011, 04:30 AM

Vehicle: 11 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Fire Red
Rep:13
Roman Chariot is on a distinguished road

Amazing Video FF.

Good post alacey, (the big one) keep us posted on the EB.