DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

pulley change on a turbo?

and as far as some of the statements made above, "it wasn't equal because he had turbos", well you have a v8, so does that make it unequal?.....we are basically saying that the turbo v6 is "equal" to the NA v8....which is relatively correct. At the same time, that's like saying a ford 351 is "equal" to a chevy 350....but you can have a 500hp 351 and 250hp 350....so there's a million factors...basically though, from factory, the hemi and ecoboost are very comparable, or at least lets say the most comparable of any of them out there. As far as "remember, it's just a v6", that also doesn't make much sense because when you are forced induction you can make up for displacement...I've seen a turbocharged 2.2L 4 cylinder ecotec GM engine in a cavalier run a 8 second pass, that's like 1,500 hp, maybe more... It also drove home on the same tires, fuel, and license plate on the bumper... More boost also doesn't necessarily mean more power....boost seems mainly to just be a number people through around to sound more impressive. What really matters is volumetric efficiency. I don't claim to be an expert on turbo's, but from reading your past few posts I feel that you aren't close to being an expert on them either. Also, my buddies RT tires are roughly the same diameter as mine, maybe a half inch difference at most(both stock)....so I do know what I'm talking about... We shouldn't even talk about the bottom end strength and other matters like that, obviously with different engines, there are differences. Just about any v8 will have a stronger bottom end than just about any v6, the v8 is a better internally balanced engine, and has more main bearing caps...

The old saying "there's no replacement for displacement" goes flying out the window when you compare forced induction to naturally aspirated.....

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2011, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crewcab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4
Color: Deep cherry red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Second Life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
Actually, the RT's taller tires bring the gear ratios close to the same, again you...don't know what you're talking about, lol! (just having a little fun here)Alright, I take your word for it. But my truck and the RT's are very much capable of mid 13's. EB is more about strength as in a deisel but it is twin turboed sharing both turbo and SC features, in a sense it does the work of both. I'm pretty sure that you're a bright youngster...not doubting that at all. The best features of a twin turbo EB is it's torque. If you want more hp, turn up the boost, more forced air equals more hp, more rpms (larger lift cam) will give you more hp as well. But you better make darn sure that your bottem end is up to the task. For a 6 cyl pushing that much hp in stock form, I wouldn't chance it and I don't think Ford would have given the owner that option...it's pushing it as it is. Out of warranty, you could put a special turbo/sc cam in it to get more hp numbers and a good tune. I don't think there'll be much more than a tune as it is and that will take a while to come out. Lets see what Ford racing does with it, who knows. Till then my truck/3.92 gears and shorter tires match up pretty much equal to the RT/410 gears with taller tires but less the stall speed..that don't always work for all drivers anyway. And buy the way, the EB does not have the Hemi torque until it spools up. It has a bit of lag, there is 0 boost from a dig. You are on v6 power until it spools up...I witnessed it first hand, like I said, I raced two of them. They would fair better racing me from a roll where spool is already built up.

The Ecoboost engine already have tune out there. Just none for the F150 right now. In the Taurus SHO, Flex, ... they're gaining 70awhp to 90awhp with tune and basic bolt on.

It won't be long you'll see aftermarket support for the F150 Ecoboost to. The F150 should gain hp like the Taurus SHO only difference will be torque gain. Stock SHO have 365hp and 350ft-pd of torque, stock F150 have 365hp and 420ft-pd of torque. The SHO, Flex, ... are factory limited on the torque because they're fwd car (awd...) and can't stand that much torque.

With intake, exhaust, larger intercooler and tune, they'll be in the 450hp/470ft-pd of torque range. I'm not afraid to say it, Ecoboost F150 will be fast truck with little $$$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
I think faster than I type, I should have said "can" double your hp. Hey, but I didn't know they were already at 13 lbs of boost. Any much more than that and they'll be needing race gas...wow!

A simple pulley change or two could give it more boost adding race gas to be safe. I don't know how the bottom end is but it must not be too bad knowing Ford. Their SC 5.0's are just about bullet proof, check out the Kenne Belle site. They know what they're doing and they claim this. EDIT Believe it or not, it was the liquid cooled intercooler that boosted life into the SC and turbo chargers. It was the heat killing the power and they're making more and more SC and Turbo charger liquid cooled...that changes the game. So does the size of the charger itself, you can get more power from a bigger bore 3.6 SC with the same boost than you can with say a 2.8. , same goes with the size of the pulleys for different ratio preferences for more boost. It is said that some can take 26 lbs of boost in stock form...that's impressive. The hemi can only take around 14 and that's pushing it. That's in stock form though, but it goes to show you that Ford doesn't skimp on their SC or forced air builds

They won't be needing race gas just because you bump the boost a little. They run 87 stock and tuned SHO are running 91 and 93 right now with up to 90awhp gain.

How do you plan the change the boost with pulley on a TURBO? Pulley change will give more boost on a supercharger, not on a turbo.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Rep:10
moparmann is on a distinguished road
Default eco boost

Can you even get a RCSB with the Eco boost?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
With intake, exhaust, larger intercooler and tune, they'll be in the 450hp/470ft-pd of torque range. I'm not afraid to say it, Ecoboost F150 will be fast truck with little $$$$.
This is a great statement. Look at any factory turbo car, they gain tremendously with little money. A few small changes to the turbo and intake setup and a tune can add 50% or more hp in some cases (look at banks and the cummins...I know it's diesel, but same concept...)

I think people think I don't like the hemi, which isn't true, it's definitely the best current (and possibly ever) production motor as far as output and efficiency, and seems reliable enough. The ecoboost is however capable of more power output and fuel efficiency (reliability yet to be determined I suppose, but stands to reason it has more parts so there are more parts to fail...). This thread, however, was about output, not reliability. Now, granted, if you did a similar twin turbo properly setup on the hemi.....not much could touch that.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 PM

^ should have said best NA motor....

Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ford
Trim Level: Lariat 6.2L V8
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
gettingitdone78 is on a distinguished road

very valid points! i enjoy reading replies from people that know about turbos, I learn something new all the time. The EB will be a SICK motor once the mods come out, i think the delay is because manufacturers are being extra careful.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crewcab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4
Color: Deep cherry red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Second Life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmann View Post
Can you even get a RCSB with the Eco boost?

No you can't.

RCSB only come with the 3.7L V6 or 5L V8.

Ecoboost are in Supercab and Crewcab.

And the 6.2L V8 are in Crewcab Lariat max tow, Platinium, Lariat Limited, Harley Davidson and Raptor only except for Raptor Supercab.

Last edited by Second Life; 08-24-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
i think the delay is because manufacturers are being extra careful.
it is also a fairly new setup to run to manufacturers, majority of all cars have always been NA. I'm sure they are dealing with some learning curve while experiencing with turbos and superchargers. Remember all the ninety's supercharged gm vehicles, yeah they were ok, but output was nothing amazing(non inter-cooled....). I think they were "dipping their feet in" and experiementing, and now that they have a solid grasp, look at their new supercharged cts-v and zr-1, unbelievable output from a factory vehicle. Same goes with the ninety's ford supercharged vehicles vs. more current mustangs and lightnings.... turbo interest seems to have lagged behind a few years from manufacturers eyes...

Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

This thread has become nothing more than a pissing match about which emblem is on the truck. I can't believe some of you folks let a troll with only eight posts and nothing to do get you so riled up. I hope the mods shut this thread down.
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
pulley change on a turbo?

and as far as some of the statements made above, "it wasn't equal because he had turbos", well you have a v8, so does that make it unequal?.....we are basically saying that the turbo v6 is "equal" to the NA v8....which is relatively correct. At the same time, that's like saying a ford 351 is "equal" to a chevy 350....but you can have a 500hp 351 and 250hp 350....so there's a million factors...basically though, from factory, the hemi and ecoboost are very comparable, or at least lets say the most comparable of any of them out there. As far as "remember, it's just a v6", that also doesn't make much sense because when you are forced induction you can make up for displacement...I've seen a turbocharged 2.2L 4 cylinder ecotec GM engine in a cavalier run a 8 second pass, that's like 1,500 hp, maybe more... It also drove home on the same tires, fuel, and license plate on the bumper... More boost also doesn't necessarily mean more power....boost seems mainly to just be a number people through around to sound more impressive. What really matters is volumetric efficiency. I don't claim to be an expert on turbo's, but from reading your past few posts I feel that you aren't close to being an expert on them either. Also, my buddies RT tires are roughly the same diameter as mine, maybe a half inch difference at most(both stock)....so I do know what I'm talking about... We shouldn't even talk about the bottom end strength and other matters like that, obviously with different engines, there are differences. Just about any v8 will have a stronger bottom end than just about any v6, the v8 is a better internally balanced engine, and has more main bearing caps...

The old saying "there's no replacement for displacement" goes flying out the window when you compare forced induction to naturally aspirated.....
First of all, I was being sarcastic about it not being equal because of the remarks about mine being a lighter RCSB....dude, he he! And yes I fugged up with the pulleys, my son was cutting my grass for money I paid him in advance and he was trying to con me out of more money to finish it and I was running in and out trying to make sure he finished everything and typing at the same time. It does make me look stupid though I have to admit. Not to mention I was starving, I just got back from Mickey D's and just finished eating, now let's see... Okay, I never said I was an expert but I can build one either way, turbo or SC. but I garantee that the rods, pistons and crank in that six banger are forged, mine aren't. Not to mention that if it's capable of running on 97 oct with 13 lbs of boost the the pistons are 8 to one CR.EDITI don't know what planet you're from, but adding boost ads hp

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 08-24-2011 at 10:06 PM.