DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ford
Trim Level: Lariat 6.2L V8
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
gettingitdone78 is on a distinguished road

BlackRamHemi: that's a solid time! A guy with a stock EB SC ran a 14.44 in the 1/4 what would be the DA adjusted time? Also the guy in that white EB sucks at driving lol
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
Radio -Here's my example to help try and clear things up:

let's say you have a s/c with a 3" snout pulley and on a particular engine setup your guage shows 12 psi. If you install longtubes you'll prob see about 1-1.5 psi drop in boost b/c the engine is more efficient but the s/c is spinning at the same RPM....remember still have the same 3" pulley installed. After getting it retuned for the L/Ts you also would've seen an increase in hp even though your psi is lower...remember same 3" pulley. Not that anyone would ever do this but if you removed L/Ts in favor of some crappy cast iron exhaust manifolds the opposite would happen. The psi would go back up and you'd lose a little but of hp.
I give this example b/c this is exactly what I saw on my project car...same s/c & crank pulley and a small drop in boost with an increase in hp after installing L/Ts.

Boost PSI is a measure of restriction. The compressor does build the boost but you can manipulate it by making your engine more efficient. P&P your heads and you'll prob see another small drop in PSI with a hp increase if you don't change the s/c pulley.

Now yes, swapping to a smaller pulley and creating more boost usually does add hp but only to a point when something in the airflow creates such a restriction that you don't see anymore gains. Maybe the heads, exhaust, throttle body, CAI.

Kenne Bell has actually done many tests showing that positive displacement blowers hate restrictioins before the blower (i.e. larger CAI and/or throttle body). At lower boost levels, swapping to a huge t/b or CAI won't reward you with much to brag about but above 14 psi is when the t/b or CAI become the restriction and swapping to a bigger t/b or CAI will net some good gains!
It's a bummer when you type a big frigin letter and it tells you you're not logged in...and I hate typing, lol! So I'll skip some and try to be brief for now. First of all thanks for jumping in here to help. Two questions...how does large volume intake runners/ported heads affect a turbo when you can adjust the pressure with the actuator valve (lets say manual BC for now) and with the bypass valve in the compressor contolling the exhaust. In the F150 EB, the actuator valve is most likely a 13 lb preset valve that can't be changed and can only take that much boost....just guessing. You adjust a manual valve in the wastegate to compensate for pressure...or do you?...not in the EB I'm sure because it's most likely preset/electronic. Not mention, I don't even think that you can get to it because the compressors are under the front floorboard. I know what the theory of turbo is...at least I thought I did, lol! In short, years ago, my friend had one on his 70 340 Cuda with more probs than he could handle and changed over to a SC and all went well so I don't like turbos...I know or always thought, high volume intake with perfectly match runners to not cause probs with injectors, perfectly matched to ported heads, high volume large chamber cylinders was supposed to be the ideal build for a turbo. I still don't get how this would change the pressure when it all happens before the exhaust. On a SC the longtubes (choice of KB), those are after the SC so yes that makes sense. Exhaust and big breathing CIA as close to the rad as possible (advice from KB), I've been on that site ever since I bought my truck hoping for them to build a SC for it. If you noticed, he was always preaching how he hated the intercoolers and now he's gone liquid, lol! But he's been my mentor and I wouldn't go any other SC for...my truck that is. I'm old, you know how that goes and you can't change me because I'm 30 yrs brainwashed, lol! I'm sure you guys are right and I am wrong, I still don't understand that it's measured in restriction though I can perfectly understand that restriction affects everything. The compressor builds air pressure...not for the intake...for the ideal large chambered cylinders but can be measured in the intake...or so I thought. Turbo can only take so much before the bypass valve opens to regulate it...or correct me if I am wrong? If you can adjust say a manual actuator valve, how is the intake going to affect the pressure, can't you compinsate for the loss of pressure...just asking. If I were to do any build forced or not, I would build the top end from the heads on down to the carb/fi. Not to mention, if I were to go turbo, I would want as much boost as I could get on 93 oct and go from there, low compression thick skirts, and so on. In the case of SC, it's the boost that makes the HP so you need low compression to hope to run the highest boost posible on pump gas and you can always change the pulley size...underdrive...I forgot? BTW....this make a turbo build go even further from my mind...I would never go there, lol! The last 3 or 4 yrs of todays forced air tech is not for the old....speaking of just me of course so no offense to the other old folks, lol! EDIT Not to be any cunfusion, this is under the assumption you can adjust the boost manually and not electronically...either way it wouldn't make a difference anyway as long as you can is the point.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 08-26-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:530
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingitdone78 View Post
BlackRamHemi: that's a solid time! A guy with a stock EB SC ran a 14.44 in the 1/4 what would be the DA adjusted time? Also the guy in that white EB sucks at driving lol
If you have a registered track name/location and date and a time slip of the run I can get anyone's DA conversion at DragTimes.com

If I see that White EB again I'll ask what rear end ratio he has ...if he ever comes back.
Once he saw my time slips he was already spouting how he'd be back with larger upgraded turbo's and a tune. I hope So! lol
I converted his ET's with DA correction from that night, and they come in at around 14.6- 14.7seconds
which sounds on par for a stock SCSB 4x4 EB from what I've read

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-26-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
If you have a registered track name/location and date and a time slip of the run I can get anyone's DA conversion at DragTimes.com

If I see that White EB again I'll ask what rear end ratio he has ...if he ever comes back.
Once he saw my time slips he was already spouting how he'd be back with larger upgraded turbo's and a tune. I hope So! lol
I converted his ET's with DA correction from that night, and they come in at around 14.6- 14.7seconds
which sounds on par for a stock SCSB 4x4 EB from what I've read
BRH - For what's it's worth, thanks for chiming in with your always informative and PROVEN opinion. Some (not all) of the a-holes on this thread just don't seem to get it. They have no proof and degrade this thread to a pissing match. At least you back it up.
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

ok so heres the deal i went to the track last night for the first time EVER! i had a good time, my reaction time and launch were not that great but the truck still managed to do well. best time for me was a 14.8 with a 60' of 2.3 and reaction time of .66 lol at 93.77 mph.. did the conversion deal and it was a 14.443 i need to work on my launch and rt and ill be in the low 14! Mind you my truck is a 6.2L SC Lariat, 4x4 Max Tow package with 3.73
Old 08-27-2011, 08:34 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crewcab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4
Color: Deep cherry red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Second Life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ok so heres the deal i went to the track last night for the first time EVER! i had a good time, my reaction time and launch were not that great but the truck still managed to do well. best time for me was a 14.8 with a 60' of 2.3 and reaction time of .66 lol at 93.77 mph.. did the conversion deal and it was a 14.443 i need to work on my launch and rt and ill be in the low 14! Mind you my truck is a 6.2L SC Lariat, 4x4 Max Tow package with 3.73

Not bad.

So Ecoboost and the 6.2L V8 are almost equal in performance.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Red
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nice! I'm not messing with any 6.2 lol. My best were 14.7 in 2500 DA(in sig) and best last night was a 14.8 in 2790 DA. I only have a regular cab 2wd with 4.10 gears. Although my truck is proven to run 13.7 in 0 DA
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28
Old 08-28-2011, 07:35 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Life View Post
Not bad.

So Ecoboost and the 6.2L V8 are almost equal in performance.
Actually, what it means is that they are both pretty much all talk without pics or proof to back it up, lol!

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 08-28-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

. There you go...
Old 08-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:530
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
FYI, although a quicker reaction time may help you win a race, it doesnt effect your ET's
The clock only starts when you trip the line, not when the light turns green. R/T does not get added to the clock time.
a 2.3 60' is about normal for a heavy 4x4. You wont get much better unless you swap in a higher stall torque converter and get some smaller drag radials...maybe shave some weight.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP