DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
Never thought about it from that angle...and unfortunately you might be on to something.

Here is a really great read on the new 5.0. I know it's a Ford magazine site so don't flame me. I hoping to find a similar article on the EB. Point being, if the EB is built like the 5.0 it will probably hold up IMHO. The pistons have dedicated oil cooling jets! The article does speculate that the connecting rods won't hold up to F/I which they have been so far. It's only been out a year or so and I think there are already 10-12 supercharger & turbo kits out the the Coyote. I want that kind of aftermarket support for the HEMI!
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...e/viewall.html
I like the mustang, I just favor the SRT8 but not at the cost. Kenne Belle has the best SC for the Hemi but they don't have anything for thr Ram. The EB is built the same way as the Coyote with a complete forged bottom end. The oil jet/squirters are to cool the bottom without cooling the top where the heat is needed. This helps prevent piston expansion that causes exsessive clyinder wall wear. They're used in everything from bikes to cars and airplanes. Most 800 hp plus gen 11 Hemis use them along with additioal oil jet/squirters for the heads. The Hyertech polished piston is designed to acheive the same cooling features without the oiling jets. GM Performance uses them in most of their performance builds.The Coyote engine is a CNC presision build and a beautiful one at that. But I don't like the long timing chains, the length just seems awkward to me. If you were to put a twin turbo on the Coyote 5.0, you'd have around 7 to 800 hp @7000 rpms, lol! I think they would have to tune it down a bit for emissions They would also have to dig a little deeper in their storage bin for something other than the powder coated rods to handle that much hp, 6 to 700 hp maybe...I don't know, lol! I must have said this a thousand times, Ford doesn't skimp on parts when it comes to performance builds like Mopar does. They do use forged bottom ends in the SRT8 and Gen 111 426 aluminum crate so they slowly picking up to the yesteryear days. Only Ford goes the whole nine yards from the rollers to the bottom end. Chrysler Gen 111 hemi rollers are 1100 a set. Jesels adjustables are around 3000...fuuu Headers range from 1200 to 2000...you won't see my spending that on headers. The Coyote has it all already, unfortunately it takes the fun out of the DIY aspect of the build for people like me. I haven't built one in yrs, but the build is the best part. Once I build it and the paint is on the party is over. As in the thread here, is it possible to stare the paint off your Ram. That's me with every peice of the build, it's hard to take your eyes off of it! Before I leave my job at beerthirty, I stop and stare at the work we did in awe. You can imagine the flack I got from my kids when they were with me. But that's nothing compared to the anger from my wife having to deal with a speed shop in her living room and kids all over the place, lol! I live by myself now with a 130 lb dog (my neighbor calls him kujo, lol!) and some mean ass chiwawas. The chiwawas are here to protect me from the big one...you know how that goes, lol! If someone ever broke into my house the big one would lick you to death and the chiwawas would eat you alive, lol! I have a 14 X 16 empty dining room and two empty bedrooms in need of a build. I'm half way there and I still can't make up my mind between the engines and tranny, work and play or play. Work and play is the 426 aluminum crate for my truck, play is classified, lol! edit: BTW...before anyone doubts the possibility, I already mapped out the LX to truck platform, not to mention the PCM and possible 66RFE if and when it becomes available in parts. And ...I have the drive train tech and service tech from my dealer working with me.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 09-05-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

radioflyer - tried to PM you but it won't go thru. I'd really like to install the 66RFE in my truck too so if you find out how to get your hands on one or two let me know.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:01 PM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
radioflyer - tried to PM you but it won't go thru. I'd really like to install the 66RFE in my truck too so if you find out how to get your hands on one or two let me know.
I'll keep you informed. As for now we have to wait for the 12 2500's to hit the floor full fledged and or the trannys to hit the parts numbers in their books. My dealer told me once it hits the books they can order it. They don't have the price yet but it should be close to the 545RFE at around 4k. The 3.23 first gear will lower your ring/pinion by .23 If you have a 3.92, it would be equal to a 4.15 launch with the rest spread out closer and less loss of power/rpms when shifting. This would definately lower your ET's and trap speed. edit I forgot, I'm throwing my lifetime warranty out the window with the crate motor and I don't know how just the tranny will affect yours. My dealer is going to do their best with both warranty and tunes help. They're actually almost as excited about it as I am.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 09-05-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

Radio Flyer what would be the ratio with the 66rfe, 4.10 gears, and 17s instead of the 22s R/T come with?
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28
Old 09-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Red
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

We also need to watch out for the flex ecoboost. A guy I know just took his wife's stock one and it ran a best of 14.236 @97.87 mph in 863 DA
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28
Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner View Post
Radio Flyer what would be the ratio with the 66rfe, 4.10 gears, and 17s instead of the 22s R/T come with?
Deleted because of double post

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 09-05-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: double post
Old 09-05-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner View Post
Rim size has nothing to do with it. You would have to measure your tire height from top to bottom and I don't know that from here, lol. As far as the as far as the 4.10's the first gear 3.23 would equal your hole shot to that of a 4.33
Old 09-05-2011, 09:02 PM

CHVYKLR...I couldn't send a message either, I guess the ZF postal sevice is closed today, lol!
Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: laramie
Color: black
Rep:10
hemi4life is on a distinguished road

I just bought my 2011 ram 1500 laramie loaded to the tits last friday. Anyways i traded my 2007 ram in for it because of a few issues but primarily a front end squeak for the life of me could not get rid of it....

I almost bought an ecoboost but the price difference was insane what you got for your money compared to dodge. The original payments i was estimated for the ecoboost was $4 less bi-weekly than the dodge and had half the options. And we all know the estimate is always lower then the actual once u get financed by a small amount unless ur credit sucks.

I will admit the ecoboost is very impressive off the line and the fuel economy is better, but like others have said who knows how long it will last in real world treatment. I know the ford videos are impressive but are obviously favored towards Ford. And where i live dependability is a must because it can hit -40 celcius with windchill sometimes or as hot as + 30 in summer. And honestly new 2011 RAMS fuel economy is much better than my old 2007.

I dont know bout rest of ppl looking into ecoboost but price says all i got way more for my money with dodge and lets be honest i dodge owns all in looks IMO. Only reason i considered a ford was for the ecoboost and i was so pissed at my old dodge i did consider a ford.

End of the day dodge makes one hell of a truck.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn quad cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:112
Jixer will become famous soon enoughJixer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
Has anyone here street raced an Eco Boost with their Hemi....other than me that is?
A guy I work with bought an EB a little over two weeks ago. I have already talked to him and said we needed to run 'em after he breaks his in. Mine has 1170 miles on it now, so I am ready, just waitin' on him. I will post results when we do.

K&N series 63 CAI - 22" Magnaflow muffler - MyGiG Lockpick V.4 - Rhino spray in bedliner - Truxedo LoPro tonneau cover - front and rear view cameras - side steps - tow hooks - skid plates - slush mats