DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

FYI...you can get the EB in a regular cab long bed. I just built one on their website. So we might see some lighter weight EBs out there.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default I looked at the EcoBoost, but went with Hemi

So before I bought my 2011 Ram Sport 5.7l, I looked at Chev/GMC, Ford and Toyota. I watched all the Ford Ecoboost Propoganda and it all sounds great. Ram was best Truck for the money by far.

In 4 years when I trade, I will do the same investigation and Dodge will probably have some kind of hippie v3 burning french fry oil and running a turbo charger made of hemp.

We will see how the new turbos (huge rpm increases over old turbos) stand up to the test...plus Ford needs to surround that engine with a nicer truck before I buy one.

My fleet manager bought a 2011 Ram Bighorn, and he is a huge Chev Man and a mechanic for 30 years. I followed with the Ram Sport the following week.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
We will see how the new turbos (huge rpm increases over old turbos) stand up to the test...plus Ford needs to surround that engine with a nicer truck before I buy one.
That's the bottom line right there!

Quote:
My fleet manager bought a 2011 Ram Bighorn, and he is a huge Chev Man and a mechanic for 30 years. I followed with the Ram Sport the following week.
I'm also a GM guy, but the ram's are without a doubt the best truck for the money. I originally was looking at v8 quad cab colorados....they were the same friggin price as the quad cab rams! lol.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: outdoorsman
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
beerguy214 is on a distinguished road

I had a 1992 eagle talon that was turbocharged it was great when the turbo was working but it put so much stress on the engine i kept breaking timing belts and then it would bend the valves.The mechanic at the jeep eagle dealer even told me when an engine has a turbo it puts so much extra stress on the internal engine parts that it is gonna break sooner or later.So Almighty Ford decided to put twin turbos on a v6 built Ford Tough.lol.Wait till you see these guys bitching about what it cost to fix there truck when it isn't running right.Ford couldn't even keep turbo's running right in there diesels and that was only one turbo.Now they have 2 i can't wait to see how many buyback they get.lol
Old 09-18-2011, 03:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:19
Real Estate Man is on a distinguished road

I think its funny that Benz, BMW, etc are rolling the twin hairdryer route for their highest HP rides and none of this " more stress" convo gets pelted their way. Ford is ahead of the curve with the EB. Don'y even get me started on the legendary bi-turbo Supra.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:55 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastst HTown Realtor View Post
I think its funny that Benz, BMW, etc are rolling the twin hairdryer route for their highest HP rides and none of this " more stress" convo gets pelted their way. Ford is ahead of the curve with the EB. Don'y even get me started on the legendary bi-turbo Supra.
+1. Not all FI motors grenade and blow up. I know guys that have supercharged(x charger) 4.0 mustangs with over 120,000 miles on them(those miles are with the supercharger) and haven't had to fix anything on the motor. Only the normal maintenance like plugs, oil, etc. It's just a matter of how you take care of it and treat it. Drive it like hell and don't take care of it, any motor is gonna mess up on you even the "lifetime" honda motors. Take care of it even if you do drive it like hell and it'll last for you
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28
Old 09-18-2011, 06:46 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastst HTown Realtor View Post
No...what's funny is you comparing the quality of a Ford to a Benz and a BMW...now that's funny, lol!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 crew
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Bright Red
Rep:10
wingless1 is on a distinguished road

good to see some informed comments here.
Yes, an engine designed to be boosted, and built to stand it from the get-go, will last as long as any engine-aviation has been using turbos and sc for decades, and the safety/reliability standards far exceed anything a truck would need to have.
Engines designed for natural aspiration, that are then boosted, don't stand up as well in most cases.
The eco boost almost ended up in my yard-went with the ram more due to price than anything else, and am very happy with my truck, but am pretty sure I'd say the same of the ford-except that it is a new engine, and it is unfamiliar territory for me, and I really didn't feel comfortable with the idea of being the guinea pig (and for some reason I don't find them ugly, and prefer the ride/handling over the ram-feels tighter and more in control).
Old 09-18-2011, 02:46 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay9 View Post
2011 Ford EcoBoost F-150 picks up 90rwhp with Fastlane's tuning
Description:
We just got done tuning the Ford's new EcoBoost motor in the F-150 and were able to pick up over 90 rwhp with a tune and our new down pipe!
If this video is true, who ever owns this truck can kiss their warranty goodby according to what I just read. As of right now, even without the downpipe Ford will know it's been tampered with. Esecially if you adjusted the wastegate acutator to add the boost. According to this, Ford techs are instructed to check every truck that comes in for maintenence...especially the EB. (TBS 10-2-6 "Service Proceedure") I just found this on the Ford forum and it contradicts this video and any hope for a tune in the near future. They are actually instructed to look for tuned vehicles according to this.

Last edited by CajunDodge; 09-18-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
If this video is true, who ever owns this truck can kiss their warranty goodby according to what I just read. As of right now, even without the downpipe Ford will know it's been tampered with. Esecially if you adjusted the wastegate acutator to add the boost. According to this, Ford techs are instructed to check every truck that comes in for maintenence...especially the EB. (TBS 10-2-6 "Service Proceedure") I just found this on the Ford forum and it contradicts this video and any hope for a tune in the near future. They are actually instructed to look for tuned vehicles according to this.
Who said that person cares about warranty? Same thing with the hemis, you tune it and they can void your warranty. Not everybody cares about warranty when they mod their cars
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28

Last edited by CajunDodge; 09-18-2011 at 04:30 PM.