DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: black w/ silver stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:883
98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold

It would be considered 4 wheel then. I'm presuming all they're talking about is the fact that you have a front differential. Not if you drive in 2wd but have 4wd capabilities

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1337
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddy View Post
This always confused me, actually. My truck is 2WD by default with the option of turning on 4WD/4WDlow. I imagine this still means my truck is considered 4WD since it obviously has the capability?
Yes, you will need to buy a 4WD lift, because the suspension systems are different between the 2WD and 4WD trucks.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram SLT Quad-Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:13
geddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxHunting View Post
Yes, you will need to buy a 4WD lift, because the suspension systems are different between the 2WD and 4WD trucks.
Alright, awesome guys! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand I should look for? I'm really in the dark with this kind of stuff :\ My girlfriend's father is in the auto business and he might be able to help me get in touch with people who I can buy from.. but what kinds of experience do people have with different companies?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 PM
erm

KORE Racing, SuperLift, Rancho, Tuff Country, Rough Country are all good firms.

I would be prepared to read each mfgr's offerings carefully to, 1) determine what parts are included, and, 2) the lift method (springs, blocks, etc...)

One other thing you will want is a steering stabilizer assembly for the front so if any of those kits have one included that's a bonus. But most mfgr's list those separately. Just make sure you get one.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

If you want to g with a lift then dont cheap out. Rough Country does make cheap kits and you can tell once it is on...even with the written instructions being garbage. You should look at Rancho, Superlift, Zone or BDS. Those are really good kits and you will be happy spending a little more for better quality. If you want to go a little cheaper thn the Zone kit would be good since they are the same as BDS.... the two companies have history togethre. I always have the motto you get what you pay for, and my trucks suspension is not one I would want to cheap out on. As Maddog said KORE and Superlift are other really good companies. I know he put Rough and Tough Country but I just have heard crappy things so...... ANYWAYS!

All the kits come with everything you need to complete the lift kit. You can always do some add ons like steering stabilizers (if made by the company you choose and for your truck), sway bars and ladder bars. Those will help out you control of the truck and make the suspension better.

I would highly recommend waiting to put the lift on until you get the tires on. The truck will look kinda goofy without the tires on. You should look at a 35" tire to make it look really good.

With the gear comment you should check out what you have now. You can check that by looking at the rear axle, it is located on the front of it on the passenger side. It is on a little rectangle tag on the axle itself. If you have a 3.92 gear in it already then you will not need to upgrade the gears since they can handle that big of a tire. If you have the 3.55s I still think you should be alright, but you can always go bigger if you like. I would recommend getting a programmer since you can actually change the tire size on that to correct your speedo. You will also pump out an extra 40hp and 40ft/lbs, with a Diablo Sport Predator.

The difference in price between a 3rd gen and 4th is due to different suspension set ups from factory. The new Rams have an independent rear suspesnion which I guess causes the lifts to be a little more.
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Inferno red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
daytona691 is on a distinguished road

You should check out zoneoffroad.com they have fairly good prices a little more then rough country though
Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram 1500
Rep:10
amcervantes is on a distinguished road

I would second that dont get Rough Country. Im currently putting one on my truck and am having multiple problems with it this far. 1 wrong size washers for front crossmember. 2 directions are the crappiest in the world. 3 keeps saying to use provided nuts and bolts but which bag are they in cause they are numbered. 4 wrong size nuts and bolts for stinger bars. 5 supposed to be no cut kit but I have to now grind off part of the rear front crossmember ear cause the diff is hitting it slightly. 6 it says use MM sockets and wrenches but most sizes are two big and are in standard. 7 the bump stop extender looks like if it were ever to get bumped it would probably get crushed or break off. Oh yeah your going to need a 36mm socket for the CV nut which they neglected to inform me of. Just because its cheaper and has less parts doesnt always make it better. But then again everyone has their own experience.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:61
dodgeguy will become famous soon enough

I'm surprised that Big Horn hasn't chimed in yet... He's a member here, and he can get people fairly good deals from BDS.
If you go for a better company like BDS or Fabtech, the parts for the suspension will last longer, and will be better quality. I would highly recommend a better quality brand like one of those. You should probably get a steering stabilizer to go with whatever lift you get, just so you truck will be steadier on the road.
Also, they were right about 4 and 6 in lifts; there isn't much of a difference between the two. You would probably want bigger tires than you would on the 4" if you get the 6" though.
If you get bigger tires, you'll probably either need new rims with a negative offset or wheel spacers, so that the tires don't rub on the suspension parts. (A lot of guys on here will tell you that wheel spacers suck, but they aren't that bad if you don't go over 1/2" though)
If you go for the 4" lift, it might look ok without the tires on, but trust me, you'll get tired of looking at "too small" tires. If you get a 6", it'll just look stupid. You should probably wait until you can do the lift and tires at the same time.
The Diablo Tuner is a great option, even if you don't do the lift right away. It can help with gas mileage,, I've heard, and it can help you out in the power area, if you need it.
Depending on what gears you have, and what size tires you have, you might want to think about regearing. If you put on 37"s and only have 3.21, your truck will feel dead.
If you have put on 35"s and have 3.55s, you might be alright.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:34
tuckertrucker is on a distinguished road
Talking

I would check out TopGunCustomz.com They have everything you could consider for a lift from 1.5 spacers to 6in full lifts. Also you might want to think about that a 3in lift is about the limit you can go before you have to start changing out control arms, Pitman arm, sway bar drop bracket, track bar drop bracket, and the such. TopGun has a 3in coil lift I just got it comes with 2 front coils, 4 shockes, 2 lower control arms (not really needed but one of mine is bent) blockes for the rear and new u bolts. I paid about $550. Not a bad lift for the first time. Tire size and gearing, You could get away with stock gears with stock tires,(will look a tad funny with 3in lift) go 33in tires you can go with 4.10 gears, with 35in tires you go 4.56 gears, Dont forget you MUST change both front and rear gears CANT RUN DIFFERANT GEARS FRONT AND REAR things will break. This is just my OPINION I am no expert.

Tucker