DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:13
tank120 is on a distinguished road
Default 9.25-dana 60 swap, custom skip plate and suspension lift

Hello everybody, I searched a halfdozen pages before starting this. Im sure there has to somebody here who has swaped the chrystler 9.25 for a dana 60 or 70 from a 3/4 or 1ton 2nd gen ram. I have a few different topics in title, hope thats ok.
First, the rear 9.25 axle in my '98 ram 1500. It will be time for a rebuild soon. I am going to hold off until I upgrade the suspension wear I will require lower gearing. I got a basic quote from dynatrac for their prorock 60. The basic is about $3,700 for a semi-float. Thats alot of bread...My main question about the swap from a HD, How much modification and fab work is needed to bolt up a Dana 70 from a 2nd gen or a 60 from older RC?? I would be paying a pro to do any fab work. I like the wide options and ease of rebuild the Dana 60 and 70 offer compared to the 9.25.

Next, as you all are aware, the aftermarket selection for a functional lift kit that is not just for looks is slim pickins. BDS has a feature on their website that I really like, the ability to customize a kit. I'm sure if you called rancho, skyjacker or fabtech you could do the same. I am looking at a 5" lift with a complete rear spring pak (no blocks or addaleave) and possibly duel from shocks if I find it will improve offroad ability. Has anybody looking for the same functionality found a good quality lift that holds up to small jumps, highspeed offroad that could offer tips/leads?

For the custom skids, I have the gibson stainless catback supertruck exhuast....I freak'n love it. It sounds awesome, real clean rumble. The only thing I did not take into consideration until I installed it is when I go through any considerable amount of mud or other high obsticle, I'm going to either bend my pipes down or push them back into the rear tire (the gibson super truck exhaust exits infront of rear right tire.) Its just a matter of getting some time off to head to the local machinist and taking some measurements, but it looks like a custom skid plate that would be bolted to the frame would be a fairly easy build to provide the desired protection. I will post pics when I get it done, and anybody with a simular set up with same prob, I will be more then happy to include material and measurements used. One question I'm hoping the machinest will be able to answer is what grade of steel or aluminum should be used for best strength. It will have maybe a foot of free hang from the mount and need a metal that will not bend into the exhaust if impacted. Hope this was not to much
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Rep:13
tank120 is on a distinguished road

Hey admins, i moved this to the mods section. remove it from here if you want.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

I would like to see some pics of your exhaust as that it what I am considering.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

Lets start with the D-60/70 swap. I assume...you're doing a front d-60 as well...other wise you're wasting your time with a rear swap. This is because the d-44 under extreme conditions will fail faster then a 9.25. You probably know that, but I'm making sure...
I'm not sure if Ramforumz has previous threads on this swap, but I can say that the more hardcore 4x4 forums online have covered this extensively. Here on some basics.
The D-60 requires you to change the spring perches to the 1500 spacing, and adapting the rear u joint in some cases. I can't remember how the shocks mount from a 1st gen truck but if you used a D-60 from that year span you'd probably have to change them too.
For your skid plate plate you'll probably need some .090 or thicker 1.125 chromemoly tubing to build the bracing and a minimum of 3/16 plate. That would be the best protection but will not be cheap. Myself, I'd rerout the pipes so they exit behind the rear axle but go under the bed. That leeps them off the rocks and out of the mud, and allows them to rumble without filling your cab with carbon monoxide.
BDS is an excellent lift, and you could use them or talk to Topguncustomz they have a new long arm kit for 1500s with progressive rate front springs.
Rancho doesn't build anything for 2nd gens now, and most everyone elses offerings are very limited.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: blue
Rep:10
liftedram00 is on a distinguished road
Default dana 60/70 swap

I did a 60/70 swap in my 00 1500. i used axles from a 2nd gen due to the fact that the only modifications required are to weld new leaf spring perches on the rear axle. There was absolutely no mods required to the front. I would avoid using first gen axles if possible, the drop is on the opposite side for the front(i believe) as for the rear I don't know how much fab work would be involved. I can send/add pics if it would be any help.

Jared