DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Ram View Post
The Revelco site's statement that their security system has never been defeated is purely semantics. What is their definition of defeated? I can guarantee that a vehicle with this system can be towed away in less than 5 minutes. And if a thief wants the vehicle badly enough, they will just wait for you to come out with the Revelco key and take it from you at gun point. Best suggestion, purchase good auto insurance and rider policies for all the extras you add to the vehicle.
What's your point? Your suggestion of "good auto insurance and rider policies" won't keep the average car thief from cruising away with your ride. If you feel like you're protected with insurance, good for you. These kinds of silly statements are right up there with people who claim Ravelco is a poor idea because you could lose the key... if you're so stupid that you lose the Ravelco key I'd wager you've lost your truck key a time or two, so either way such a scenario is ridiculous. Your contentions that a car thief will lie in wait to take your Ravelco at gunpoint, or that car thieves commonly cruise around in tow trucks are simply ludicrous, and not reflective of the average car thief. Please provide some statistics on how many vehicles are stolen at gunpoint or via tow truck vs. due to opportunity to back up your assertion.

I prefer to know that my truck will be where I parked it, all the while enjoying the discount I got from my insurance carrier for having an anti-theft system installed.

Last edited by Upstater; 10-03-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
4x4Ram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsrule123 View Post
i disagree. if someone tows it, i do have insurance. I think the chances of that in my situation are very low. The ravelco is for the vast majority of thieves and that is what it is designed for. nothing will guard against a carjack. I think your analogy is off base. I lock my doors at night at home, if someone wants in bad enough they can shoot the hinges off, or run a car through my front door, or bring a saw and cut a hole, etc etc. I will still lock my doors at night.
My statement is completely analogous. The factory alarm is no different than you locking your doors. It will keep honest people honest. Dishonest people will find a way to circumvent any security if they want something bad enough.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Ram View Post
The Revelco site's statement that their security system has never been defeated is purely semantics. What is their definition of defeated? I can guarantee that a vehicle with this system can be towed away in less than 5 minutes. And if a thief wants the vehicle badly enough, they will just wait for you to come out with the Revelco key and take it from you at gun point. Best suggestion, purchase good auto insurance and rider policies for all the extras you add to the vehicle.
That's an interesting comment but I think your ideas are a bit off the mark.

First this is what the web site actually says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravelco
Since it's debut, THERE HAS BEEN NO REPORTED INCIDENT IN WHICH A VEHICLE PROTECTED BY A PROPERLY- INSTALLED AND UTILIZED RAVELCO HAS BEEN STOLEN! The Ravelco Anti Theft Device is the ONLY product that can claim COMPLETE SUCCESS in preventing car theft! No other alarm system, anti theft device or vehicle tracking system can make that claim. NOT ONE VEHICLE STOLEN IN MORE THAN 3 DECADES!
So you're right, carjacking is an exception since the Ravelco couldn't be utilized in that situation but I don't think that is particularly important. Carjacking accounts for less than .5% of car thefts. On the other hand, Ravelco would be in use if a car was towed but I think that is insignificant. The language Ravelco uses in no way makes an exception for towing so I'll guess it hasn't happened and that is believable. In my research of all the methods and statistics mentioned towing doesn't make the list. In fact, when it happens it tends to make the news. Steal a car with a tow truck and people will start to notice; eventually a description gets posted and your truck is very visible. I'd be willing to bet cars stolen by tow truck are not a major concern.

So in possibly 99% of car thefts (yes my number) this unit would be effective...I'll take that and say that the company is being genuine in their claims. I think I'll be looking into it.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!