DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White - Black Trim - Red Sport Decals
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:94
98RamSport will become famous soon enough
Default Water Sloshing In Dash (Sounds Like)

I hope I'm posting in the right area. I don't see a spot for A/C issues.

When I start my truck up and start to get going it sounds like there is water sloshing around in my dash. I think it may have something to do with the A/C but am not sure. When I turn on the A/C the air coming out smells kind of musty at first, and sometimes the air will stop blowing cold. I shut off the A/C for a bit, turn it back on and its cold again, for a bit.

Any ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Is the sounds changing with engine speed or with the movement of the truck, side to side in particular? The musty smell is mildew building up on your evaporator. There are kits available that can lessen or get rid of that smell. Make sure you check the drain tube for a blockage. As for the cooling issue, my first guess is that your system has a low charge and possibly a leak.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Could also be low on coolant . Thats the rushing water sound you may be hearing , the heater core filling up . You could have a heater core leak also . Have done quite a few heater cores in Rams .
Old 12-02-2009, 05:12 PM

Vehicle: 1998 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White - Black Trim - Red Sport Decals
Rep:94
98RamSport will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
Is the sounds changing with engine speed or with the movement of the truck, side to side in particular? The musty smell is mildew building up on your evaporator. There are kits available that can lessen or get rid of that smell. Make sure you check the drain tube for a blockage. As for the cooling issue, my first guess is that your system has a low charge and possibly a leak.
No, the water rushes/sloshes just at startup, not all the time. Where can I get a kit, and is it something that a mechanically incline individual can tackle, or are there special tools required that I should take it to a shop for? Where is the drain tube and how do I check for blockage / correct the blockage if it exists? I have checked my Haynes manual and have not found an A/C drain tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
Could also be low on coolant . Thats the rushing water sound you may be hearing , the heater core filling up . You could have a heater core leak also . Have done quite a few heater cores in Rams .
I keep up on my fluids pretty regular, but I haven't checked the coolant in about two weeks, and this sound has been going on since before then. If it is a heater core leak, how would I know? Replacing this would require discharging the lines right, therefore I would probably need to take it to a service center to have the work done? There are a few things I really try to steer away from; some electrical, gas lines, A/C components.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Is your radiator overflow bottle low ? You need to check and see if your evaporator drain is clogged first . It's on the engine side of the firewall on the passenger side . It is a black nipple sticking into the engine compartment down low . It may be clogged up . If you get a large amount of liquid out of it , pay attention to what color it is . If it's clear it's just condensation from the evaporator and thats probably what your problem was . Let us know what you find . Tom
Old 12-02-2009, 09:05 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If you have a leak in the core itself, you'd smell coolant and youd likely fog up the windshield when you turn on the defrost. A pressure test of the cooling system will reveal any leaks. There is a TSB with a part number for the can of cleaner and instructions for the odor.
NO: 24-11-97

SUBJECT: A/C Evaporator Odor

DATE: Jul. 11, 1997

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some vehicle operators may experience a musty odor from the A/C system, primarily at start up in hot and humid climates. This odor may be the result of microbial growth on the evaporator core. During normal A/C system operation, condensation forms in and around the A/C evaporator. When airborne pollutants mix with this condensation, bacteria and fungi growth begins and odor results.
DIAGNOSIS:

Operate the A/C system, if a musty odor is experienced, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:

QuantityPart No.Description104897625AACleaner, Aerosol Evaporator

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves inspecting for leaves or other foreign material in the evaporator and HVAC housing and applying Mopar aerosol evaporator cleaner.
NOTE: FOLLOW ALL CAUTIONS AND WARNING SUPPLIED WITH THE AEROSOL EVAPORATOR CLEANER; KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN; AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN OR EYES; WEAR SKIN AND EYE PROTECTION, IF SKIN OR EYE CONTACT OCCURS, WASH SKIN OR FLUSH EYES WITH GENEROUS AMOUNTS OF WATER; AVOID BREATHING VAPORS.
  1. Inspect the evaporator and HVAC housing for leaves or other foreign material that may be blocking the air flow through the evaporator. If the build up is excessive, replacement of the evaporator may be required.
  2. With the parking brake applied and the transmission in Park, start the engine and let idle. Put the temperature control to full hot, blower speed to HIGH, select the PANEL and RE-CIRCULATE modes. Open all windows about 13mm ( in.). Disable the A/C compressor clutch by disconnecting its wiring connector or the wiring connector to the A/C pressure switch. NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE HEATS THE EVAPORATOR AND CAUSES MOISTURE TO EVAPORATE FASTER. THE SLIGHTLY OPEN WINDOWS ALLOW MOISTURE TO ESCAPE THE VEHICLE WITHOUT LOOSING MUCH HEAT. SOMETIMES, YOU MAY SEE A "FOG" CLOUDING THE WINDOWS. AFTER THIS "FOG" HAS DISAPPEARED CONTINUE TO OPERATE THE HEATER FOR ANOTHER 5 MINUTES. IF THE "FOG" NEVER APPEARED, OPERATE THE HEATER FOR A MINIMUM OF 30 MINUTES.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  4. Gain access to the evaporator cavity to apply the evaporator cleaner by:
    • BR, TJ, XJ, ZG, ZJ - Remove blower resistor.
    • For the above vehicles, place a piece of heavy masking tape over the opening in the evaporator housing where the fin temperature sensor access grommet or blower resistor was removed, then punch a small hole for the evaporator cleaner tube to be inserted into.
  1. Shake evaporator cleaner aerosol can well and insert the application tube in the access hole created in step 4. NOTE: THE APPLICATION TUBE HAS A BLACK MARK AND A RED MARK ON IT INDICATING HOW FAR THE TUBE SHOULD BE INSERTED INTO THE EVAPORATOR CAVITY. THE RED MARK IS FOR AA, AC, AG, AJ, AP, AND AY BODY VEHICLES. THE BLACK MARK IS FOR ALL OTHER VEHICLES.
  2. Start the engine and let idle. Set the blower motor to HIGH.
  3. Put on goggles and dust mask type breathing protection.
  4. Spray the entire contents of the evaporator cleaner into the evaporator cavity. NOTE: A "FOG" MAY BE SEEN ENTERING THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT WHILE THE EVAPORATOR CLEANER IS BEING SPRAYED. THE EVAPORATOR CLEANER WILL NOT STAIN OR HARM THE VEHICLE INTERIOR, BUT GOGGLES AND BREATHING PROTECTION MUST BE WORN DURING CLEANER APPLICATION. DO NOT BREATH VAPORS!
  5. When the can is empty, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and let the vehicle sit for 20 minutes. This time will allow the cleaner to flow over and coat the evaporator fins and case assembly.
  6. Install whatever components that were removed to gain access for application of the cleaner. On AS, ES and 1994-1998 AN, seal the access hole drilled in step 3 with black silicone sealer.
  7. Open all of the vehicle windows about 13mm ( in.). Start the engine and let idle for a MINIMUM of 30 minutes with the temperature control to full hot, blower speed to HIGH, PANEL and RE-CIRCULATE modes selected. This will dry and cure the evaporator cleaner onto the evaporator coil.
  8. Connect the wiring disconnected in step 2 to re-enable the A/C compressor clutch.
  9. Verify proper A/C operation.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 PM
erm

That ^^^^ is some good info right there!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:28
streetbob is on a distinguished road

Wow, that really is good advice. As for the air blowing cold for a while and not and then on.... if the system is low on freon, you could be icing the evaporator, just like your freezer. When it build ice it doesn't let the air through which exacerbates the problem and grows more ice so the air doesn't come through the coil. When you turn it off for a bit it thaws and when you turn it back on it lets air through until there is more ice and on and on. Could also explain why you got the bacteria growth problem.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 99 dodge ram 1500 4wdr
Engine: 1999-2000 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual)
Rep:10
chickywood is on a distinguished road

hi
i have the same problem.I am wondering about the orface tube for a/c Help!! tHE PASSENGER SIDE FLOORBOARD GETS WET
Old 04-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram1500
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
FunInTheBush is on a distinguished road

I've noticed that sometimes when I've just started my truck and for some reason I only notice it when I'm in a particular area but when I accelerate it sounds like I have water sloshing around in my dash too. I don't have any other issues though, my air works reasonably well, I live in FL and when I take short trips when it's hot it just doesn't cool down enough but it'll blow cold or hot air once it warms up or cools down, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any leaks either.