DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about
Default HELP!!! ECU question/problem

hows it going recently i bought a 96 dodge ram with a blown engine for 1000 got a 5.2L magnum engine out of a 97 ram swapped engines but it wouldnt start for a min then just randomly fired up drove it for a while then one day same problem it would crank and crank but wouldnt fire up then magicly it fixed its self and ran fine until a few days ago now it wont start at all cranks just wont fire

it has spark has compression and is getting fuel i replaced the cps spark plugs ignition coil and cap & rotor sprayed starting fluid did all kinds of tests and nothing which leads me to believe its the computer because my father in law had same year and same problem and ive checked everything else

heres my question. i have a 96 2wd automatic 5.2 magnum with a new engine from a 97 do i get a ecu out of a 97 or does it not matter? should i get one from a junk yard have mine rebuilt or buy a new one? what is the difference in the vin between the 96 and 97 engine? when i did the engine swap i kept the old wiring harness and the only difference was the cps connector was different and the alternator was larger.

any info would greatly help thank you
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2011, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

For starters, what are you calling the cps? Crank position? Cam position? You said you have a spark but what about an injector pulse? Have you scanned the PCM for active faults? What's your fuel pressure?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

i havent checked fuel pressure with like a tool or anything i did purge the fuel rail and gas squirted out and there is a noticeable smell of gas coming out of the exhaust

i havent scanned the pcm i did however used a scanner on it and it wasnt throwing any codes or anything

i didnt think to explain when i said cps lol i meant crank shaft position sensor
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter