DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Challenger
Trim Level: SRT-8
Color: Hemi Orange
Rep:10
Slipknot is on a distinguished road
Default Going to start Modding my 07 5.9

Howdys guys/gals
I got a 07 2500 5.9 that i want to start modding a lil..
Right now i got a set of 33in nitto trail grabbers comming in.. Thats if they ever do(Been waiting 5 days now)

Right now i am looking for exhaust(Stacks),cai and a programmer..
My main objective is shooting black coal all over the place(Just so cool to see that going on lol).. This is my first diesel so i wanted to ask the pros about the best way to do this and the gear that would be needed (:..

Thank You
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:353
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

IMHO I would check the local and state law regarding excessive smoke from vehicles. Some jurisdictions have laws like that and you can get a ticket or a defective vehicle notice for it. I know it may seem fun to smoke someone out but there's a chance you can get into trouble for it. You can read some of the dodge diesel sites and see that cops are starting to crack down on excessive smoke. That said, if you put a programmer in your truck, usually on the high hp settings, you can hammer it from a dead stop and throw plenty of smoke. It usually works best if you have side exhaust and the car next to you has their window down playing rap music so loud that you can't even hear your diesel run. The diesel smoke just seems to find it's way into the car.(No experience just been told that) LOL
Jay
Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Haha that would be funny to see
But im from the bootheel of Missouri and we dont have any laws like that or i dont think we do,cause all these kids are doing it and the cops just look with a smile on their face lol. Small town of 8k people and all we do around here is race and mud lol

Not sure if i want stacks or the dual that goes out the back.
Stacks just gives it that big rig look that i like and the onlything ill ever be towing would be a 4wheeler and a 12ft boat.. However im thinking of putting a bed cover on it and think the stacks would get in the way of it or do they make a cover that goes around the stacks?

Guess all programmers do the samething,but im looking at the bank 6 sling or the bully dog gt and either the brute or aef cai (:.. Ima drop 2,000 in mods so im trying to find out what would be the best route

Thanks for your reply (:
Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 PM

Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

A couple things about Banks. They make some of the best designed and fitting products you can buy. They spend a lot on R&R and advertising and you get to pay for that through their prices. They have some of the highest prices of anyone and $ for $ people report that other brands produce mush more hp etc. than Banks. It's kinda a trade off--when you ask people what they think is the best, it's like asking what kind of ice cream do you like best--everyone has their own favorite. I used Edge chips and AFE air intake and was happy with both. If you use duals out the back don't let anyone sell you a mandrel bent exhaust to replace what you have---the factory pipes are mandrel bent, although you may want to go to 5" instead of the stock 4".
Jay

Last edited by Pull Ya; 03-28-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

Like he said mandrel bent are a little more restrictive. Listen to some sound clips(they dont really do justice) to see if you like the sound of 4in or 5in, duals, stacks etc.
I'm not a fan of 5in sound (or duals look) but its necessary over 500hp. You factory exhaust is 4in so you would only need a cat back system if you go that route.
Edge makes great products and diablo sport prederator are great tuners too(I wish H&S would make 5.9 tuners)
Grand Rock sells pretty inexpensive stack kits. Alot to take into consideration with stacks. The sound, the drone right outside the cab, and you'll cover your truck in soot and the lose of bed space.
Bringing the exhaust out infront of the back tire raises that tires temperature and turns your wheel black.
I had a buddy black out a PA state trooper to see what would he would do and nothing happened haha
Old 03-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the replys (:

Ya,in the long run ill probably hit the 500-550hp mark ,so ill need the 5in exhaust .. Now,my question is this,why isnt there any exhaust kits that run straight out the back? (Instead of curving and going out towards the sides) Iv always loved this look,but never seen a diesel have this setup.. Guess there has to be a reason lol.

I heard great things about the Edge brand.. Ima look at the prices and compare them.. I was wanting a tuner that can change the settings on the fly.. I think im pretty set on the AFE cai and im getting this all done in a few weeks.. Just needed some info on it and start looking at some sites for the best prices (:..

Thanks for the info
And whenever my new tires come in ima take pics and post it
Old 03-29-2011, 12:10 PM

I would guess the reason that you can't find any duals straight out the back is because of the crap you would throw on anything you are towing, so most kits have the exhaust come out at a angle behind the rear wheel. You can always cut the tail pipe off and weld a straight piece on it so your pipes come straight out the back. The Edge I had was an older style that you could change on the fly. It had 3 positions and you could switch while you were driving. I'm not sure about the other brands through. Make sure somewhere in your budget you plan for at least 3 gauges--Boost, EGT and Trans temp. IMHO gauges are the FIRST thing that you should install.
Jay
Old 03-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

haha i wasnt thinking!!
Ya the edge i am looking at is a Edge Juice w/attitude cs/cst and ill probably have it on the 3rd setting all the time(60 Horsepower - 150 Foot Pounds of Torque).. I think my auto can handle that?
Ahh yes i was wondering about gauges.. When i order my cai,programmer,exhaust ill make sure to get those (:

Thanks for the help guys
I think im pretty much set now

Have a great day
Old 03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

4"+ tips dont look good coming straight out the back, you throw exhaust all over anything your towing and the have a tendency to get smashed/ripped off. Unfortunatly I have seen a diesel with them haha
If you get the edge juice with the attitude cs/cst, you can select from a list of different guages you want it to display which includes boost, egt and trans temp
Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM

Damn, I love helping people spend THEIR money. LOL
Jay