DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Trailer turn signal issue

19K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  RamTech 
#1 ·
I have a problem with the trailer wiring coming from my truck. When I'm plugged in I get no left turn signal at the trailer. I checked the fuse, and it is ok. I used a multimeter to check the 7-pin round plug on the truck and it is not getting any power to the left turn. I checked the wires coming out of the trailer harness and leading to the front of the truck and could see no obvious failures there, but the wiring bundle runs along the drivers side frame where it meets up with some other wire bundles along the way and then up into the left fender where I can no longer see it...assuming it runs into the bottom of the fuse box there. Any ideas, experience with this type of issue?

#5 ·
So after spending way too much time jerking around under the truck and fixing some wires/splices that were bad, I made a breakthrough. After repeatedly checking fuses I turned on my right turn signal (this one works on the trailer) and listened to the relay in the IPM (fuse box) and then turned the left signal and listened to that relay... has a funny sounding "click - donk" rather than "click - click." After doing a google search for '2004 dodge ram trailer tow left turn relay' I have verified that these trucks are actually pieces of crap and the relay is integrated into IPM, thus requiring replacement of a several hundred dollar part that I can't locate... not even on crapslerpartcenter. Now this Dodge is turning into a Chevy and I knew I should have bought a Titan, but thought the diesel would be better.

#6 ·
Sorry to highjack this thread, but;
Hey Ramtech. Do you know were the power source is for the rear 12v Power Outlet in a 2010 3500 Laramie? I have checked all the fuses under the hood & they are OK. I do not have any power at the plugin. Is there another fuse system inside the truck? Yes I have made sure the key is on before checking.

Reg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.