DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Tnic is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny troubles?

Hey all, forgive me if this has been answered a million times.

I've been told that my year Ram is in the range of years that had some tranny problems. I think I'm having those problems now, but would like to hear from them that's been down that track before.

I bought the old girl in 2005 with less than 25k on her. I didn't beat her up, but I did do some light hauling. I never towed a load over 3000# by my best guess. I was pretty good about changing the oil and general up keep.

In 2008 I started getting symptoms that resembled water in the fuel (even the NAPA guy agreed), but nothing helped. I later discovered that the back 2 cylinders (7 & 8) aren't firing. Ign. module? Plugs and wires helped not. I don't suspect the Cat because I always had the power, it just runs rough at lower RPM. get her up to 1500 or so and she goes right along.

Sometime in 2009 I started having trouble with the tranny not shifting into 1st gear. When I shut off the eng and restarted it would go for me most times. So like a total MORON I actually listened to (a different) NAPA guy who just couldn't say enough about that crap you dump into trannies to make em all better. Yeah right! I had a mechanic have a look and he tells me the valve body(?) is clogged and the tranny needs rebuilt/replaced.

Fast forward to today, The arn Maiden is waiting for a new battery and 3 or 4 qts of tranny blood so I can drive her out from behind the barn and get her INSIDE the barn to start getting into some fixin.

Q #1 - What was the infamous issue the trannies had (if this is the same thing)? Were there some common parts that failed?

Q #2 - If I have an Ign. Module failure where did they hide em so I can plop down $50 and replace it?

And I already know I was an idiot for driving her in that condition. Hopefully I can make it up to her and treat her right from now on. I just didn't have the money to do anything then.

Well, that's it for now. I thank you in advance for your advise.

Tim
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If 7 and 8 aren't firing, I'd suspect the plugs are fouled out due to a blown intake plenum pan gasket. As for the trans, I would change the fluid and filter and perform a band adjustment before I sank money into a rebuild.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks RamTech!

Plenum gasket. I'll get it checked out.

Sounds a little cheaper than a tranny rebuild. Hope that will do it. But what about that clogged valve body (?) the tech told me about?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Unless he's performed some sort of testing or dropped the pan and pulled the body, I think he's speculating.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
Unless he's performed some sort of testing or dropped the pan and pulled the body, I think he's speculating.
They dropped the pan and had a look see. They're recommendation was rebuild, but they might have been looking for business. My landlord referred me to them so I wasn't a complete stranger at the time. So who knows?

That was in CT, I'm in Maine now and if a rebuild is required I have a guy I used to work with (different sections, same Base) who will do me right. I'm getting with him asap and see where we go from there.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'm about 95% positive I have scored cylinders from day one judging from the oil usage. No leaks it just uses about a qt a month that would slow down if I used an oil additive at oil changes.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

You may find that if the plenum gasket is bad and you replace it, that not only will you low rpm performance improve, but you oil 'consumption' may reduce. This is an excellent starting point in the 'make it better' effort.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well I'm glad I found this place!! If I'm a liitle bit lucky I won't have to rebuild the tranny and can The Arn Maiden back on the road fairly cheap.

The reason I suspect scored cylinder though is because the original owner lived in FLA every winter so the truck sat in the garage for 4 or 5 months every year. Those first start ups had to be pretty dry.

For now I'm waiting on Friday when I get my retirement check in so I can get started on her.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 AM

I seriously doubt the cylinders are scored. A blown plenum pan gasket will cause oil consumption of about one quart a month but you'll almost never see it burning. It's a relatively cheap fix, so try that first.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So, a compression check for the plenum gasket then?

Just a quick update. ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!

Dropped a new battery in and 3 qts of tranny blood, she fired right up. Had to use 4x4 to get her out of the hole though. Poor thing's been sitting in one spot for 2 years and she sunk in a bit. She's in the barn now and I'll get under neath and try to track down that tranny leak first thing. Then start working on that plenum gasket.

I'm told that I don't have bands to adjust in the tranny though and a clutch or pressure switch(?) could be the culprit on not shifting into 1st. But then again, the guy who told me should stick to oil changes and leave the real mechanicin to the pros.

It was just nice to hear the motor fire up after sitting so long.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Spent some time on the phone with a Dodge mechanic and I'm totally locked into the Plenum gasket.

I also confirmed I have a 46re tranny so no bands to adjust. He's thinking the pump may be having a problem. After I get the bleeding stopped I'll really get after that issue.

But for now can anyone recommend a repair manual so I don't fly completely blind here? I was a wrench tosser in the Air Force so I can likely do most of the work myself. I do think I'll take it someplace to get the gas tank drained of it's 15+gals of 2 y/o fuel it still has.