DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White with lots of chrome
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
BigRig is on a distinguished road
Question Hauling kayaks with Ramboxes

Hey guys, as the title suggests, I'm looking for a way to haul two kayaks, a 10 foot and a 13 foot on my truck. Generally a headache rack and over the tailgate, or a boat rack of some kind would work great, but, having the ram boxes on my truck, theres no room for a headache rack or bed rails, and I can't mout a side of the box style boat rack along the edges or the rambox would be covered. So, lets hear it! Any ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a custom rack that mounts down in the bed might be necessary.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
LaramieV is on a distinguished road

Hey BigRig, I'm in the exact same predicament. Have you come up with any solutions yet ?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black
evanyj350 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking for something similar. Seems like Mopar should make an aluminum headache rack that would slide in the cargo management rails inside the bed. Just a strong enough rack to hold a kayak, a ladder, or a few 2x10s The other end of the load would rest on top of the tailgate and hang off the back.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at several sites,
at this time, no one makes a rack of any kind for the Rambox Rams

I needed my auxillary gas tank/toolbox bolted down & i also have a rather large toolbox that also needed bolting down.
I do Not have the Rambox
I bit the bullet & drilled holes into the bed & through the bottoms of the boxes, when i sell this Ram, i will get Line-X to respray where the holes are

You could do the same thing & make or modify a rack to suit your needs
just use a either body washers or a small steel plate on the underside of the bed to run a bolt through, mostly because canoes & ladder racks tend to cause a air flow lift
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-20-2012, 10:25 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: grey
Rep:17
edd5 is on a distinguished road

I have the 6-3" rambox and just lower the tailgate, slide in the kayaks (9'-6" Old Town), tie them to the bed cargo tiedown loops and let em hang out the back a couple feet. Put a little red flag on the end for safety rules. Have also just chucked em in upside down with the tailgate up and nose down in the front of the box and tied to the cargo loops on the siderails. So long as they aren't going anywhere should be OK. Sooner or later someone will come up with some accessory racks that mount to the tiedown rails.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Blue Streak
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
AirStreak is on a distinguished road
Default Rack mod for Ramboxes and Tonneau cover

Well, it took a bit of doing, but I found the solution to complete my 2014 Outdoorsman for full toy hauling duty.
I wanted to be able to haul bikes, luggage and windsurfers on my holidays yet retain the usefulness of the ramboxes and covered cargo area.
The solution is made by VanTech USA, and requires a bit of work, but nothing you couldn'd do on your own.
I wanted it all: Tonneau cover, rack, Ramboxes and bike hauling in the same go.
Everyone will tell you there isn't a stock solution available, and they're right, but a reasonabe compromise can be made modifying VanTech's conversion van racks. This link shows you how the standard rack works: http://vantech.us/Custom-H1-1-Bar-Sy...2-H-Custom.htm

What I did to make it work on my truck:
1. Take out the Rambox side rails.
2. Take Vantech mounting plates and use one OEM hole and mark second hole, drill and install "Nutserts" or similar product. (you'll also need to buy the installation tool, or find someone with one, they're much like a rivet gun, but leave you with a threaded hole in the body of the truck)
3. get countersunk Allen "(Hex) keyed machine screws to match Nutserts you bought
4. Countersink one hole in plate (I bought Part No. H14B), and install with some double sided sticky tape behind it to keep it in position over the factory side rails's mounting holes. The plates are flat with a 45 degree bend. I chose to have the bend extend outboard, which restricts your Rambox lid to that same angle.
5. insert Vantech supplied carriage bolts befor tightening plates.
Plates are 1/8" thick steel or aluminum, so you'll need a gasket material in between your plate mounting points if you wish to keep your tonneau covered bed dry. If you don't have a Tonneau cover, I'd suggest you flip the plates inboard as they won't extend past your tiedown rail and will still allow full opening Ramboxes.
6. Build Vantech 53" wide rack (Cut crossbars to length)
7. Drill crossbars to match mounts using supplied templates
8. install at height you'd like to have ensureing cab clearance (Note that your Ram truck roof is lower on the side than it is in the middle, so don't drill or cut uprights too short.
9. Cut the bottom lip off the supplied uprights for additional clearance for the tonneau. You don't need them for strength because he mounting plates are very righid due to them being sandwiched between the rails and the bed. The rack doesn't move while on the highway.
10. I bought SS wingnuts paired with lock washers for easy install/removal. I cut about 1/2" off the SS carriage bolts to limit interference with the factory tri-fold cover. If you go with Vantech supplied locknuts you can cut the bolt even shorter and have limited to no interference with the tonneau.
11. Tonneau cover clamps will need adjustment to inboard direction. The nuts are an odd size, neither 1/2" nor 13 mm. It's easiest to get a No. 5 Allen key and turn from the blind side while holding the nut.
Pros:
Ridgid mount
looks factory
You can have it all, sort of.
altogether cheaper than most complete ladder rack solutions on the market.
Cons:
limited opening Rambox if mounted pointing outboard.
Tonneau cover removal is a bit more delicate operation as front end needs to slide under the bolts.
finnicky work which takes up time (ultimately very rewarding though)

I talked to Richard at Call 718 497 3482, and he was patient and helpful. They use US Mail which was cheap and fast. I went with the black anodized aluminum: Very well finished product, and the extrusions give you all kinds of attachment options. All the hardware is good quality, mostly stainless steel. They also make other colors.

I'll figure out how to download pix next.
Cheers, Airstreak
Old 06-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Blue Streak
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
AirStreak is on a distinguished road

This is what the end product looks like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lj5fsm5gt5...615_204556.jpg
Old 06-16-2014, 06:07 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 TRX4
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
j.krug is on a distinguished road

Wow that looks really good. You did a great job!
Happy hauling.