DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: standard
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
AJ1500 is on a distinguished road
Default Could use some help with OD

I'm hoping someone can answer a couple questions that might help me find a problem I'm having with my 1500

The problem is the OD won't turn off, nothing happens when you hit the button on the shifter, BUT sometimes and there is no reason for it the off light will flicker on the dash, it could happen while still in park or as soon as you put it in drive or going down the road. It does NOT effect the trans at all, the llight just flickers

Now a quick history, I repaired quite a few wiring issues that was cooking PCM's a while back, Thanks to some good advise and suggestions I got here it seems that is all behind me now, however the OD issue was and still exist since we bought the truck. This issue has never changed

OK question 1 can I remove the button at the end of the shifter without destroying it, then other than broke wires what can I check/test

2 does anyone know what wires feed the OD throught the harness so maybe a could do a continuity test on it
or know the voltage I should be looking for
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I had issues with my '01 . The wires are very rigid and have a tendency to break at the column shifter pivot point . You can get it apart and make the necessary repairs . Mine works fine now .
Old 04-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

when you say pivot point are you referring to the where the shifter moves throught the gears or the tilt steering pivot point.
so I can remove the outer colomb covers and access the wiring where it binds
Old 04-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well I got the OD issue repaired and thought I would share what I found

First I found there is a small slot on the outer ring of the shifter at the button, you can remove this ring with a small screwdriver, then you can push the wiring from the bottom of the colomb(once cover is removed) and pull the button out

Of coarse I found this out after accidently pulling the shifter end off and pulling the wires loose from the button, it is possible that one of the wires was already loose
this would explain the flickering of the OD light in the dash

what I did first was to inspect the wiring at the pivot point, everything looked good there, so I unplugged the plug on the steering colomb and using a test wire I made a momentary switch there, after determining the OD works I then repaired the wiring at the plug for the button and hooked it all back up

It still didn't work so at this point I thought I had nothing to loose so I opened up the OD button, inside is a small circuit card and a rubber bushing with a brass button to make the contact on the card
both were glazed, so I took a pencil eraser and cleaned them and reinstalled

Now the OD turns off and back on on demand

Thanks for the help and I hope my findings will help someone with the same problem