DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Water Blue/White Gold Two Tone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:51
20Laramie11 will become famous soon enough
Default Bakflip Tonneau Covers

Ok, so I know there are like a million threads on tonneau covers in general and a bunch on the Bakflip and it's few different variations. So here's my question...I am getting ready to take the plunge and buy mine but I am unsure which to get. I know what the differences are in general as they are listed on their website i.e. spread load weight, warranty, thickness, materials etc. So the question is: Has anyone bought a Bakflip folding tonneau and wished they had gone with the next one up...or down? I think I want the F1, but if the HD or G2 are just as good...you get what I'm saying. I just figured what better way to find out rather than buying all three(haha) than to see what you guys thought of yours. I already know that this is the way I want to go because of it's conveniences and qualities...it's just a matter of which one. I like the fact that the F1 has that covering over the aluminum and keeps cooler, but is heat really an issue on the HD? Hmmm... Thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i think the best thing to do is make a list of what you need a cover to do for you

do you need to use the stake pockets, if so you would want a cover that fits inside the bed
is the cover just for looks, maybe a single piece is for you
do you need to open & close it a lot, maybe a 2 piece, single hinge will do
do you ever have to use almost the full bed & don't want to have to remove the cover to do it, then you need another kind
then think about the cold weather factor, snow & ice mostly, rain not so much

after you make a list of what you need it to do
do you want metal or fiberglas

then look at the cover types & see if they do each thing on the list, if not, cross that type off

go to this site to see your options & what each does & looks like
http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/

after you do you research, then its time to look for discount coupons, or even Bakflip has a SPRING special right now
http://www.bakfactoryoutlet.com/?gcl...FQwZ2goddVmrpA
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:35
diablo0813 is on a distinguished road

Well, I went with the F1 myself. I chose this route because I remember reading somewhere that someone had the G2 or the HD (can't remember exactly which one) and after a pelting of hail, was left with a fairly dented tonneau. I am moving to an area that I expect to receive a lot of hail, so I went with the Fiberglass Reinforced Polymer version in hopes of avoiding that. As far as the added thickness to the core providing improved stability and the "keeps cooler" claim?...ehhh, I personally don't foresee that being a benefit for me. I just don't see my using the tonneau as a seat...that's why they call it a Tailgate party after all!!!

I am also banking on that "Superior Performance in extreme weather conditions" claim they make on the website...a 6,000ft elevation in Wyoming is certainly gonna test that theory.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Rep:13
n2trucks is on a distinguished road

I went with the G2 and now wish I chose the F1 as there are two or three small dents from my knee's when i had to crawl over it while it was parked in my garage. If money is not an issue then I would go for the F1.

I'm happy with the G2 and hope to not have any more issues. Goos luck with your choice, hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Sounds like the F1 is the way to go. Anyone know of any discounts or specials going on around the internet? It's worth a shot. Haha. Thanks for your input guys!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

not sure if this is the right number
Bak 2010 Dodge Ram BAK BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover 72207RB

DEALERS in your area
http://www.zipwise.com/weblocator/re...1183&zip=23450

http://www.bakliner.com/contact_us.html
Corporate office is on the West Coast

but, call the number at this site for best price 15% off, but, they are also located on the west coast
http://www.bakfactoryoutlet.com/?gcl...FQ4g2godwWbkCg
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:35
diablo0813 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Laramie11 View Post
Anyone know of any discounts or specials going on around the internet?
Truckchamp.com has them pretty regularly at $840.00. You just have to call for the price. In fact, when I ordered mine from them, they weren't even showing they had the F1 on the website.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: White/Grey Two-tone
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
boldy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Laramie11 View Post
Sounds like the F1 is the way to go. Anyone know of any discounts or specials going on around the internet? It's worth a shot. Haha. Thanks for your input guys!
I went with the F1. My main focus was to have the lightest one and I read the F1 was the lightest. And I'm glad I did. And I can say so far it has handled weather extremes very well. Denver weather can be crazy. 70 degrees one day and snow the next like it did a few weeks ago.

When I was trying to find mine to buy the best deal I found was at the actual bakflip site: www.bakfliptonneaucover.com. I was able to find some sites that matched their price but I got free shipping from them. Which saved between 65-85$ depending on where else you looked.

Also, the install is super easy. Takes like 30 minutes but I HIGHLY recommend you watch this: as the instructions it comes with aren't all that in-depth. For example, the instructions never mentioned to put on the seal on top front of your bed and the cushioning you put on the part that might hit your back window.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:12 PM

Great input everyone. Thanks for your help. I ended up ordering the F1 from truckchamp.com for $840.31 shipped to my door and it should be here by Tuesday according to the FedEX website. I'll post pics once I get it started and on. Thanks for the video as well boldy. That will help tremendously! Take care all!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

i just recently went with the hd model i dont know much about it or the differences between the 3 but it was on sale so i got it lol and im happy with it
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,