DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-10-2011, 12:55 PM
ehillman

Default 2010 6.7 Cummins Diesel Slow Sluggish Acceleration

2010 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 Diesel 6 speed Manual
Purchased New (400 miles) in Jan 2011

I too am having a acceleration delay. Most generally it is while taking off.
At times it is VERY dangerous as you are trying to pull out into and merge in traffic or cross a busy intersection that does not have a light.. If you try to mash the throttle you will 85% of the time get a VERY sluggish start. If you ease into it and then hit it most of the time you can take off but sometimes even then it is sluggish.

This can also happen when trying to pass someone and next thing you know you are left out there in the passing lane and not swinging on around someone. The only time I have not noticed the sluggishness is when I am already going over 65 or 70.

It's sad since my stock 02 Ram diesel and my stock 06 Ram Diesel both made this truck look like a sissy in the take off catagorey thus far.

Any Diesel techs out there seeing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
It's been exactly one week February 7th at 3.00 Pm when I drove home with my truck and I must say that my gas mileage isn't that good either ( 13mpg ) driving like a grandma (no offense granny ) that is highway as well. and I too have some delayed throttle response, as for the gas mileage my dealer says it will get better after the truck is broken in 3 to 5 thousand kilometers (2 to 3 thousand miles)they claim it being new and all it's still tight and needs to loosen up and everything needs to get seated, the sub zero temperatures aren't helping either, there may be some bull there but only time will tell (don't forget a Canadian gallon is slightly bigger then an American gallon) so we're probably getting about the same I will definitely talk to my dealer if it don't get better.

Last edited by ehillman; 04-10-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, hope we can get someone to chime in for you. Other than acceleration are there other things showing up? Have you added any engine mods? Have you put the truck under heavy load?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 PM
ehillman

it has only pulled about 6k thus far. I have not done any mods etc. Everything is stock except for window tint and vent visors.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
ehillman

no ideas on this?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:12
Schroeter is on a distinguished road

Is the DPF clogged?
EDIT: It's brand new, nevermind...
Old 05-23-2011, 01:57 PM
izzy

I am having same problem! Posted a thread on diesel bombers, and no real answers. Had it to two dealers today, first one was an absolute idiot! If no lights are on there isn't a problem, right? Second one says to keep driving it and if it gets worst bring it back so he can have it for a day to figure it out. It goes for deletes tomorrow! I personally think the engine can't figure out what to do when it's choking on it's own exhaust. Well see if it helps.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:12
11Ram06Daytona is on a distinguished road

Did doing the DPF delete correct the issue?

By the end of August: Recon Smoked Headlights & Roof Markers, 8K HID, 6" Fabtech Long Arm, Amp Research Steps, Fuel - Gauge 20" Wheels, Bakflip cover, H&S MaxxMini, MBRB Exhaust, 2 10" L7's 1500.1 Kicker amp.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

They're just stupid slow with the DPFs on them. I actually stalled a 6.7 twice (never stalled any other diesel) in one day. DPF delete helped ALOT!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 2wd
Color: PDA-Light Greystone Pearl
Rep:20
Dooner is on a distinguished road

Just bought my 2010 3500 a couple of weeks ago. It was sluggish at take off too. I was looking around and saw something about psmdiesel.com and there ideas about the stock intake box. Looking at the pics, I figured I could do that myself.
I had a CAI for a non-Dodge truck that I couldn't use on it. I already got a refund for it, so nothing to loose. I added the intake tube to the bottom of the stock intake box, and it turned out great.
That seemed to make the sluggish feeling go away. Now I added the AFE filter and it is working great. No more sluggishness, and is pretty peppy on acceleration.
Can't guarranty the same for you, but what do you have to loose, but a little cash to buy some PVC parts at Home Depot/Lowes.
Maybe I can get a picture of it up soon.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 2wd
Color: PDA-Light Greystone Pearl
Rep:20
Dooner is on a distinguished road

Here is some pics of my CAI tube mod. I used a K&N CAI kit that I bought for a '09 chevy 1500 with 5.3. When installed on that truck, the check engine light would stay on. K&N told me to NOT use it. I got a refund and they let me keep the kit. I was supposed to damage it so it could not be used, but never did. My bad!

This is the stock intake box. Still looks the same, except for the sticker.

This is inside the of the stock box. I used a hole saw, and cut a nice round hole, and inserted this peice from the chevy kit.

If you can see it, there is a rubber hose connector with two hose clamps holding the tube to that piece from the pic above. You also see the air flow sensor port that I blocked off so to only get air from the bottom.

Here is the bottom of the tube. It comes out in front of the tire behind the wheel well cover. The crankcase vent was blocked off too. I cut the tube where it would be square with everything.

Once I did this, the sluggishness went away, and had more pep.

Thanks for looking.