Rear end problems behind Aisin? - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 07-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Grey
Engine: 2015-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 865lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep:10
mgood777 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear end problems behind Aisin?

I am on the verge of buying a 2015 3500 with the Cummins/Aisin combo. Just for giggles I asked the dealer to price out a 2016 for me. What I learned was that starting in 2016, the Aisin can only be ordered with DRW. He said it was because there were rear end problems in SRW models behind the Aisin. He said the Aisin's were too strong for the SRW rear ends. Apparently that's also the reason why the 2016s are getting a torque increase. They had to beef up the rear ends and to make sure people don't have problems that's why you have to now buy DRW to get the Aisin.

Anybody know anything about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:518
TransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of light

I don't believe the information you received is accurate. I am not aware of any restriction on Aisin trans availability based on rear axle configuration.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Grey
Engine: 2015-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 865lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep:10
mgood777 is on a distinguished road

Apparently the 2016 ordering just opened and from what I've been told (by a dealer who tried to order one for me) you can only get the Aisin with DRW. I'm more questioning though whether there is any history of the Aisin causing rear end problems which may have lead Chrysler to make that change.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:518
TransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgood777 View Post
Apparently the 2016 ordering just opened and from what I've been told (by a dealer who tried to order one for me) you can only get the Aisin with DRW. I'm more questioning though whether there is any history of the Aisin causing rear end problems which may have lead Chrysler to make that change.
A) I do not believe any "change" has been made. As far as I can tell, rear axle / Aisin trans availability is identical between 2015 and 2016 MY.

B) I am not an axle expert, so I cannot speak to any specific axle issues on these trucks.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:13 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4
Trim Level: Limited, 6.4 ft bed
Color: Delmonico Red Pearlcoat
Engine: 2016-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 900lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep:46
Limited 3500 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgood777 View Post
I am on the verge of buying a 2015 3500 with the Cummins/Aisin combo. Just for giggles I asked the dealer to price out a 2016 for me. What I learned was that starting in 2016, the Aisin can only be ordered with DRW. He said it was because there were rear end problems in SRW models behind the Aisin. He said the Aisin's were too strong for the SRW rear ends. Apparently that's also the reason why the 2016s are getting a torque increase. They had to beef up the rear ends and to make sure people don't have problems that's why you have to now buy DRW to get the Aisin.

Anybody know anything about that?
I spec'd out a 2016 3500 SRW with the Aisin at the dealer yesterday and there wasn't any problem with the order.
Advertisement