DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 DODGE RAM
Trim Level: SLT
Color: BLUE
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:22
CEM155 is on a distinguished road
Default Hope I'm in the correct thread

First time Ram owner. 2005 Ram 1500 w/ 4.7 . I purchased it already equipped with Flow Master cat back and a dual twin intake (seen them online for like $80.00 & still don't what brand they are) The truck looks, sounds and handles great (I spent a little over 3K in slight mods, maint and suspension work) however, my opinion is this vehicle lacks performance. Maintenance is up to date. What recommendation(s) can anyone offer. I hear Diablo Performance Tuners alot on this forum. What & how exactly does it work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Forgive me if posted in wrong forum. I joined two days ago.
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Again welcome, the tuners modify the trucks computer tune profile to change assorted performance enhancing factors. They can give you control of many different factors to add HP and MPGs. The most common are discussed often here. I think the Diablo Predator is the direction I'd go myself.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:07 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yes diablosport predator is popular on this site, superchips is another product (thats what i use), and i think there are others like the bullydog or something....all should give similar results, will probably add about 10-20hp for you. First thing I'd do is remove that twin intake and either go back to stock or a cold air intake, the twin intake sucks air from under the hood where its hot and will hurt performance, you need something that sucks air from outside the engine bay (not sure if stock is like this for your year but my 2010 is and I'd assume the stock one from yours is).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

"the twin intake sucks air from under the hood where its hot and will hurt performance, you need something that sucks air from outside the engine bay" [/QUOTE]

What you say makes sense however, would this still be true if the truck is equipped with a sport hood? I can't see how a factory or maybe even a CIA will improve the performace in THIS case. I would think that with this set up, it is more of a direct air flow. On the other hand, I don't even know the brand of whats on there now and I can't seem to find any information online. My first thought was to go with something I know like K&N or AEM but, what if it actually decreases performace?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:03 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

From what I understand, the scoops on the sport hood are not functional, so it would be no better than the regular hood. Now, you could make up a REALLY slick and one of a kind ram air with that hood and intake, and it'd perform awesome I'm sure, but you'd have to somehow fiberglass or weld up an air box that completely surrounds those filters, and yet seals to the hood and would capture the air coming into those scoops...sounds like a difficult job, but I've seen similar stuff done on chargers. If you buy a name brand aftermarket cai kit it will get air from outside the passenger fender, and will improve hp by roughly 10. Most of those kits are several hundred dollars. Another option is to do what I did and reuse the stock airbox, and just buy a drop in filter for about $50, and you can even replace the ribbed intake tube and resonator at the throttle body with airraids smooth tube for about another $100. This setup will result in damn near the same performance as the whole cai kits. Although, you don't have the stock box I assume...so it'd probably be no cheaper, so you might as well get the whole kit.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:04 PM
erm

I think that if you are introducing cooler air into the engine compartment, and given the real world performance of stock engines, you should be fine.

A programmer basically remaps fuel and timing curves. I actually picked up 4+ highway MPG's after doing an intake, exhaust and programmer.

I like the Predator. I have two HEMI powered vehicles and they both have one loaded on them. I run the 91 octane tune on the truck and a custom CMR tune on the SRT. I've just seen such good results with them on my vehicles and others that I'm gonna stick with that tool.

I have used SuperChips and Hypertech on other vehicles. I got better results with the SuperChips unit than I did with the Hypetech unit.

Good luck with the mods! I'd say the next step for you is the programmer of your choice.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks guys. Well, looks like I'm going to get a REAL CIA and the Diablo Predator. One more question. How do I do this and keep peace with the wife??? lol.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:27 PM

"It will get better gas mileage"