DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute
Default For anyone interested in cutting the rear coils

Had a few questions about this, so thought I would post up my experience with it. No hindsight on it, has performed better than stock for MY application. No more wheelhop, no more "skating" on the interstate when hitting the seams, and handles much better. Here is how much I cut from each coil (please remember I have a regular cab, probably don't need this much cut from a quad cab):

And here is the stance after almost half a year of having them cut:

Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 PM

chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

And for anyone curious about functionality, here are some pictures of her loaded down with four holly bushes, three azaleas, three railroad ties cut in half, and about 40 assorted landscaping rocks:

Old 04-12-2011, 08:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 HEMI Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:62
rarichard will become famous soon enough

did you reuse the stock shocks and sway bar end links? have you jacked the rear off the ground yet and if so, did the springs fall out? That's what I'm worried about.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

Looks good man.....didn't know you had cut the coils!!! I'm gonna drop mine soon...I hope! for the R/T hauler!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarichard View Post
did you reuse the stock shocks and sway bar end links? have you jacked the rear off the ground yet and if so, did the springs fall out? That's what I'm worried about.
Everything stock still. I have not had anything to worry about with the rear springs falling out, but I did make sure to "seat" them in the upper pocket the same way they come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916Timmy View Post
Looks good man.....didn't know you had cut the coils!!! I'm gonna drop mine soon...I hope! for the R/T hauler!!!
Thanks man! What drop kit you going with? I am excited to have a kit ready to install, just trying to find the right shock combo first.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram QC Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:39
mbehlok is on a distinguished road

The "Skating" that you mentioned, is that where the truck tends to slide a bit to the right or left when hitting a bump on the highway? That has been driving me crazy since I got my truck and I thought it was bad bearings, tires, etc... Only seems to happen on the highways at high speeds.. And in the rain, it's sometimes scary..

Sorry, not intending on hijacking the thread.. I can start a new one on this if need be, I just saw that you mentioned it..
Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 AM

BTW, looks good, came out great and you did not take too much out luckily. Looks very level now.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbehlok View Post
The "Skating" that you mentioned, is that where the truck tends to slide a bit to the right or left when hitting a bump on the highway? That has been driving me crazy since I got my truck and I thought it was bad bearings, tires, etc... Only seems to happen on the highways at high speeds.. And in the rain, it's sometimes scary..

Sorry, not intending on hijacking the thread.. I can start a new one on this if need be, I just saw that you mentioned it..
Yes exactly, after putting on the first set of 22" wheels and tires it was awful, would darn near jerk over one complete lane if you weren't paying attention. With the SRT-10 wheels and tires, and this coil cut, HUGE improvement over stock.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the info. My truck has the stock 20" wheels on it and its pretty bad. I will post this in the appropriate section to see what others have done since I don't feel comfortable cutting springs..
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Lookin good Daniel!! Love the new stance! Thanks for the pictures
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.