DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: deep water blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
remington870 is on a distinguished road
Default More power

OK, so I'm new to this mods game so please bear with me. I have a cold air intake on my engine already but I'm definitely ready to do some more work but there are so many things that I could go for. My question is, what can I do that will give me the most bang for my buck in terms of increased Hp and torque without voiding my warranty? Should I go with a new exhaust system or with a chip? Or should I be looking at something else?

Your advice would be most appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1337
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

I would suggest getting exhaust and a programmer to go along with your CAI.

The diablosport predator is great for you because you can download your stock tune on your truck before you bring it back to the dealer and they cannot see that you used an aftermarket programmer.

For exhaust the options seem to be endless. It's all about personal preference. It seems that Magnaflow 18" mufflers are popular for Ram trucks.

Good luck with modding! See ya around!
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Crimson Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
DBryant is on a distinguished road

Be advised, a programmer will void your engine warranty, and maybe you trans and driveline also. They will say the extra hp and torque caused trans and driveline damage. Don't think you can say, "prove it", they will tell you to get a lawyer and prove it didn't. I know, been there and done that.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:05 AM

Color: Bright Silver
Rep:19
scots2413 is on a distinguished road

The chip can void your warranty, but you can also take it off before you take it in for any work. Some dealerships will search for a reason not to do warranty work and others dont. It is said that the diablosport does not leave a footprint, but I am sure if the dealer wanted to find it then they could. My rule of thumb is if you cant pay to have it fixed if you break it then dont mess with it.

Also, DBryant please tell me more about your experience with chips because this isnt the first time I have seen you post about a lawyer being involved with voiding a warranty.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: deep water blue
remington870 is on a distinguished road

thanks guys,

I'm off to pick up the programmer this weekend so I'll have lots of fun playing with it for a few days. On the muffler issue - should I be looking for a full catback system or just replacing the muffler? I think that I have 3" pipes on the exhaust right? What would I gain from replacing the whole system rather than just replacing the muffler?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Be advised, a programmer will void your engine warranty, and maybe you trans and driveline also. They will say the extra hp and torque caused trans and driveline damage. Don't think you can say, "prove it", they will tell you to get a lawyer and prove it didn't. I know, been there and done that.
This isn't really correct, the dealer has to prove to you that the programmer caused the damage, not the other way around. If they are making you prove to them that the programmer did not cause the damage they are messing with you and trying to get out of it. It's the same as anything else, if you lift your truck 2 inches and your steering joints, ball joints, etc are prematurely wearing, they have to prove to you that it was due to the lift kit/too much angle, etc....they will of course tell you it will void the warranty to cover their butt, but it is wrong on their part, if you were to pursue this you would win (unless the programmer was in fact the cause of the damage). It really boils down to how bad either party wants to fight, its really a thin line...I agree with what was said before, if you're not willing to pay for damages, don't take the risk....if my truck blows up because of my superchip, I won't kill myself because I decided to buy it lol...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Atlantic Blue
MYBLUE2010 is on a distinguished road

I am curious about the warranty and chip issues. I talked to a mechanic at the dealership. According to him they cannot tell if a chip has been installed unless you leave it plugged in. He also noted that if you have an ECU failure than they must send the ECU back to Chrysler. According to him than Chrysler will not cover the damages. Like some of you have said, you may be able to fight it out. But even in there diminished state I am sure that Chrysler can afford a better lawyer than I can. Having said that I am still considering a chip. Doing a little more research now. Would love to hear some others experiences with the issue.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

the tuners are pretty proven to not cause any damage(how else could superchips offer a powertrain warranty if this wasn't true), there are alot of people (including two friends) that have run them for 100k and beyond miles with no issues at all. My two friends drive their cars like they stole them, and still have had no issues. I drive mine pretty easy, but get on the gas now and again, and doubt I'll ever have an issue. It comes down basically to this: the tuners almost certainly won't cause damage, whether or not a dealer will hassle you about it is unknown, if you floor the vehicle constantly and drive hard, it will probably cause damage over time, although this would happen without the tuner(and probably cause more damage), so if you drive easy(that doesn't necessarily mean like a grandma) it will be fine, and probably better than stock. I have alot of fun in the truck but there are a few extremely simple things people overlook to prolong engine and trans life...#1 make a COMPLETE stop before changing gears!!! #2 dont fire up the engine and throw it in gear before the truck even knows its running, give it 5 seconds and buckle up before you put it in gear, and #3 drive smoothly, don't jab the throttle and slam on the brake then jab the throttle again, the more you rev and switch gears (mainly downshifting) the more wear... sorry for rambling...but if you want a tuner them just get one lol

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:32 PM

Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Crimson Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
DBryant is on a distinguished road

I'm not saying that any type of chip causes damage, most probably don't if installed right. All I'm saying is your truck is warranted the way it came from the factory and any changes you make to increase HP and torque can void warranty on anything from the engine to the rear axel. I have owned more than 35 new vehicles since 1965, many of them moded and have had warranty denied because of this. I finally got smart about 15 years ago and quit fooling with them. If the dealer refuses warrany because of mods what can you do. You can't force them with a gun can you. The law (magnusson moss act I think) does not apply to performance parts not installed from factory. Also try getting a chip maker to replace your engine, trans or rear end, it won't happen. How can the factory warranty something that has been modified by you. They won't.