DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of
Default touch up painting

I wasn't sure what section to put this in, but due to the fact that I'm tackling this project on my PT Cruiser I added it here.

I'm looking for advice on how to do a decent touch up painting project. I've got a rock chip on my PT that is about the size of a dime, and has rusted over a little bit.

I'm looking at removing the rust, hopefully down to bare metal, or as close as I can get, then repainting it to reprevent the rust from returning.

First off what are some recommendations for sand paper grits? I'm assuming that I'll need to start pretty course and work my way down to fine... I just don't know enough about painting in general to know what grits to choose.

I've got some OEM touch up paint to cover everything up after the sanding and such is done. Do I need to add some sort of primer to go along with it, or does the touch up paint already have primer built in to the mixture?

Would clear coat be necessary after everything is all said and done?

I'm not looking for perfection, as I know it's not possible with a DIY type of thing, too many environmental and other factors come in to play. I just want it to look half way decent and not have the rust come back, as the car will be sitting quite a bit out in the elements (it's my out of town car).

I play on following everything up with a couple of coats of decent wax/ polish to try and protect things as best I can, just wanted to get a general idea at some of the steps I would need to take

thanks

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2011, 09:51 PM

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram
Trim Level: st
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
williamhartle is on a distinguished road

first of it depends on the color and if it has any metalics or pearls in it if so good luck lol your always going to see it you maybe able to hid it for a while but after a month or so it show up. unless you block out the chip prime the area then paint and blend out the color then clear the whole hood. honestly if the chip is right at the front of the hod id just remove the rust touch up the area then put on a bug deflector to hide it. but thats just my opinion.

2 inch leveling lift 3 inch body lift, 34" bfg mud terrain TA KM2, straight pipe, vararam intake, superchips cortex, Firestone air bags, skyjacker n8000 shocks rear, s8000 front struts, painted head lights, tinted tail,cab mount light, big shiny chrome balls.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:38 AM

Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

the car is "cool vanilla" so there isn't any issue with either metal flake or pearl....

The chip is just inboard of the left headlight, so a bug defector isn't an option, besides I've had bad luck with bug deflectors in the past (every vehicle I've had 'em on I couldn't keep a windshield in... kept deflecting rock into the windshield)

I'll try to get a pic or two later on. I just got home from working all night, and I want to try to get to bed before the sun comes up

thanks

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 04-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes a repair like this is not that expensive. Have you checked with a body shop to see if this can be done professionally, but with a hot bog budget? They might surprise you.....but that could go either way too.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 04-19-2011, 09:02 AM

thanks everyone.. I managed to repair the "pimple" to a degree that I can live with. I know it's there, and in all honesty it probably looks pretty crappy, but I can deal.

I roughed up the area with some 200 grit sand paper, got the rust off, and sort of smoothed things down a little where the chip was taken out. I then cleaned it with some Simple Green and alcohol (separately) and used the brush on the touch up paint to cover up my "work area".

If this were a car that was my daily driver I probably would've looked into having the entire front end (if not the entire car) repainted, but for what I have planned, this will work well.

thanks again everyone

Exco
Bill
Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Metallic Blue
Rep:91
bigdaddyII will become famous soon enough

Any pics?

(15 charcs)