DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:327
starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough
Default Low idle, rough idle problem and more

My 2006 is doing some things that may or may not be normal and some that I know isn't normal. This is long but I wanted to be very descriptive so please bear with me and offer any help that you can. Thanks!

1. Not sure if this is normal or not. My truck seems to crave overdrive. Seems like it goes to OD as fast as it can and often has to downshift soon after because it went into OD too quickly. Not really a problem for me but irritating. I cut the OD off sometimes but that seems to lock out 4th and 5th gear rather than just 5th like you would think it would.

2. When the truck goes to OD at lower speeds/RPMs it seems to surge a little under load. It's not extremely noticeable but you can feel and hear it in the exhaust. It's almost like the truck starts running a little rough at low RPM in OD, especially on small hills and such. Possibly normal as well? Just the truck dealing with pulling itself at such a low RPM and under load?

Just started the following in last few days and I know it isn't normal.

3. When started from cold truck idles up to 1200-1400 RPM or so then drops down to 800 RPM or so then back high again and back low. Will do this 2-3 times within 2-3 seconds before finally settling to lower idle speed. Doesn't do this when warm.

4. Also just started idling what seems to be really low, probably around 400 RPM several times today when I stopped at intersections. Also, RPM dropped so low twice in last few days when I shifted into reverse that I thought it was going to stall out but it didn't. If it was idling low like this at an intersection and I gave it a little goose on the throttle it would idle up a little to around 500-600 RPM and hold there.

5. May be my imagination but it seems like since I noticed these last two problems it also may be down on power a little bit. I say this because it seems like it has to downshift even more on interstate inclines and such and even dropped down two gears instead of one a time or two. I know it's slightly underpowered for such a big truck so maybe this is normal? It also seems to get fairly crappy fuel mileage averaging 12.5-14 in mixed driving.

Truck has 60K miles on it. Nothing done to it lately other than an O2 sensor replaced a couple of months ago after it threw CEL. O2 sensor fixed the light and it hasn't been back on.

Other than above listed it starts and runs fine.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 04-13-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2011, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

When was or has it ever been done - clean the throttle body ? Heres a link to the procedure . http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46454
Old 04-14-2011, 09:26 AM

starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

Not sure. I've only owned the truck for a couple months and 1000 or so miles. I'll put that on the to-do list.

Also, something I forgot in the original post that it has done since I bought it. It seems to idle just a tad rough or maybe have a very very slight miss almost that I have noticed sometimes when stopped at in intersection. You can't really hear it but you can feel the truck jerk and shake when it does it. It's very slight but if you ride in it enough you will notice. I've even had passengers notice.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Dark Pearl Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Tpellus is on a distinguished road

From this sounds like, I may be having the same problem. I have a 03 4.7L with about 73,000 miles. So pretty similar. Mainly the rough idling sometimes right after I just start it and also there has been two times where I put my truck from drive into reverse and the truck shut off.

With the rough idling it just will sit there and seize up and down. Going down to about 400 rpm maybe even lower. And then going up to like 700-800. It has never died on me while doing this but I usually have driven away before it maintains an idol.

With the shutting off in reverse, the truck was completely stopped and the brake was fully applied when it was shifted into reverse. It would just lose all power and shut down.

If anybody has an answer please help!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 AM

Obviously this is an older thread and I had just had my truck a couple of months when I posted. I have driven it more and gotten a slightly better idea of what's going on since that time.

As for the OD/tranny issues (#1 in my OP)....I have come to believe that the OD thing is normal. I haven't driven another truck like mine but I believe that the truck is programmed to hit OD as quickly as possible...as a fuel saving measure I would assume? This combined with the relatively heavy weight and underpowered engine simply means the truck has to downshift rather often.

As for the surging feeling that I have noticed (#2 in my OP), the truck is still doing this. It isn't really a problem and I have learned to modulate the throttle to mitigate it as much as possible but it is definitely doing something. I have narrowed it to two possibilties in my mind. One, it's a by-product or somehow related to the idle problem (as it almost mimicks an up-down idle fluctuation except under load). Or two, it's a transmission or more likely torque convertor problem. The tranny fluid looks good and still has a pink tint to it but I'm going to have it changed after the first of the year and see if that helps.

As for the idle problems....I have changed the spark plugs and cleaned the TB since my original post. The up and down idle problem that I described (in #3 of my OP) had only occurred that once and has not repeated itself since then. I also have not had any more issues with the truck severely dropping RPMs or nearly dying when shifting into reverse. The one problem I am still having is that the idle still sometimes drops when I am sitting still. It will go from normal to a low idle...not a rough idle and it doesn't act like it's going to shut off but a definite low idle...prob around 350-400 RPM. This seems sporadic...I haven't noticed a pattern and it runs like a champ when you give it throttle.

My next suspect for the idle issue is either the idle air control valve or the throttle position sensor. May be neither but one of these is my next guess. The IACV runs around $65 and the TPS around $35. I have thought about trying these one at a time to see if it helps but the problem has not been a big issue for me and my truck will be lucky to see 5-6k miles a year anyway. In short, I just haven't had time. It might be worth your while to try these. Don't know about other parts places but Advance Auto will let you return these items just like any other as long as it appears new and is in the original box. You could do the swap and if it doesn't fix it you could always swap again and return the part. Hope this helps and I will update if any more develops.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the tips, I may try the part swaps if money flow gets a little bit better.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
TexasAggie18 is on a distinguished road

dont know if you got it fixed yet, but if you havent, try the throttle position sensor, only like $30. I just recently had a problem that sounded exactly like this and a new tps fixed it. hope this helps
Old 12-21-2011, 07:38 PM

Hey guys, does a truck throw a code with a bad TPS. My truck is idling super low constantly now. Right around 450-500. It dies almost everytime I shift from drive to reverse or vice versa. It really wont sit in neutral either. Sound like a bad TPS or just need to run like some Fuel Injector Cleaner through it?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Color: Green
Camarata is on a distinguished road

I know this is an older post but I was having a similar problem with my 03. It started out of nowhere one day where I went to back out of the drive way and when I went to put it in to drive it shut right off. Popped it into neutral and started up like nothing was wrong. I noticed when it was idling in the driveway that it would sputter once in a while and drop down below 1000rpm. My best friend is a mechanic and I explained what was going on and basically he told me before you go throwing money at it, throw some dry gas in it and see if it fixes it. So the next day I went and put some dry gas in it and that was the last time I had a problem with it shutting off. I also havent noticed any hesitation or low idling speed. So my recommendation to everyone that may be experiencing this, try some dry gas and see if that helps. If not, it only cost ya $1.89. It's that damn ethanol messing with everything.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge RAM 4.8L 290ci
Trim Level: Quad Cab SLT
Color: Black
Rep:12
SuperiorStyles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SuperiorStyles Send a message via Yahoo to SuperiorStyles

My truck just started to do the same 3 months ago.
I changed all the spark plugs all the coils , TPS and IAC. I have gone from all the o2 to Map sensors the throttle body is clean and the engine has been rebuild 11 months ago.
I Idle around 500 most of the time and lately the idle has been up to 850 rpm at a intersections. My truck also shut off on reverse it's weird. Also I'm going crazy cause now in the last weeks I have heard Engine Pinging around 2800 rpm to 3500 rpm part throttle also when I'm on the highway and I punch it i hear the engine pinging. I done the whole fuel system cleaner and put 93 octane. I have no Check engine light and weird thing when I leave the truck to idle for a while the truck seems to jerk and have a hard time giving power like if there's a misfire. I have checked everything from compression to fuel pressure nothing has shown sign of service needed any suggestions ?