DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd
Trim Level: Slt Laramie
Color: silver
Engine: 1995-1997 318ci (5.2L) Natural Gas V8 200hp 430lb/ft
Rep:10
frickshun is on a distinguished road
Default 96 dodge ram

Hey guys,
Alright I am a semi new Mopar owner, this is my first dodge, however my first car was a dsm so I didnt go into this relationship blind of the stupidity and frustration which they bring with them. I have a 96 dodge ram 4wd ext cab 5.2 auto, it has a 2' lift with 17" motometals and 33" procomp xtreme at tires. It has this stupid famous p0500 code so I don't know the actual mileage and the speedo doesn't work I would appreciate any insight given to me on any of my questions in this post.
1. The p0500 code, I have a check engine light with a nonworking speedo and odo however no abs lights or anything like that, I replaced the speed sensor on the output shaft of the tranny a little over a month ago with no results, besides the fact that in the last few days, the tranny will randomly not shift from 2nd to 3rd without moving the shifter into 2 and back to drive and spontaniously it decides to slip and jam into first when leaving a stoplight.
2. My plan is to end up with a brand new truck in the next six months, I am stating my budget at 12grand not including the recent purchase of wheels and tires, I plan on buying a 318 and rebuilding it in my garage and when the time comes for the current motor or tranny to crap out, hopefully in about 6months I will be able to drop in a well built 318. any suggestions on vendors to look at for performance parts or especially well known performance/ efficiency adders would be greatly appreciated.
3. suspension, I am currently just looking for a new lift kit, most likely a bit taller maybe a combination of suspension and body lift once again suggestions welcome, I am taking it into 4wheel parts to have all the tie rods, ball joints, and etc replaced along with a new steering box in about a month but want it to be a little more aggressive.
4. bumpers, I dont have a back bumper at the moment and the plastic on the front bumper honestly makes my truck look like its smirking , however finding bumpers for this truck is unusually challenging but im probably not looking in the right places, so once again suggestions. thanks to all if you would like to email me anything my email is speedycrossed2011@yahoo.com
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2011, 04:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

well yesterday I finished my all out hardcore service and tune up on my truck and after everything was done it was running like I just pulled it off the showroom it was happy and joyful for about 4 hours but as we know dodge rams are bipolar so later last night my tranny decided it just couldnt deal with the hardships of life and committed suicide however it was rushed into icu, ie. towed home this morning after i woke up, where it currently sits now barely clinging to life, The tranny sounds like its mimicing the powerwheels escalade my neighbors 4 year old kid has... but then today some jackmonkey decided to come and punch my truck in the face while it was laying in the hospital bed, ie: tried to still it which in the end just destroyed the plastic covers on the column and destroyed the ignition so now at can only be given cpr with a screwdriver... the nerve
Old 04-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Howdy, so after a month of going back and forth between selling or keeping my dodge and it just sitting in my driveway it has been decided that I will bring it back to life with a tranny rebuild and 4wd service should be about a week and a half or so before its back up and tearin some ruts on the side of the roads in fort worth. plans after that are to replace the abs wheel speed sensor, steering box, dash, and a new and improved front suuspension and lift kit. woot!