DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 3.7L PowerTech V6 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Ram
Rep:10
SpeedoJosh is on a distinguished road
Default Hard to shift into 1st and Reverse

Have an 04 Ram, single cab, V6, with the 5spd.
Truck runs fine, and shifts fine on the move. But, when at a light, or from a stop, the truck is hard to shift into 1st or reverse. Almost feels like something is blocking it in the slot, like something isn't lined up. I can force it through, but it doesn't feel right.
At a stop, I can shift it into other gears fine, then out and into 1st, and then it goes smoothly.

So, some cliff notes: shifts fine when moving. At a stop, can shift into other gears fine, then once that initial shift is made, it goes into 1st or reverse fine. Feels like something isn't lined up.

Any ideas? I'm confused by the whole thing, and haven't found anybody that could shed some light. Figure someone here has had to of had a similar problem.

Thanks
-Josh
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:29
chambers is on a distinguished road

Mine did the same thing, still does to some extent. Change your tranny fluid if you haven't already, redline or royal purple synchromax are good. Mine still gives me crap sometimes going into 1st at a stop light, so I'll have to go back to neutral let off the clutch, press the clutch and shift to get it into gear. Similar thing happens with reverse, I usually go into 4th then reverse and it helps, even then sometimes it won't go and I have to go to neutral, let off the clutch, and do it all over to get it into gear.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 1500 Ram ST
calinb is on a distinguished road

I started to have intermittent slightly notchy shifting and difficulty getting it into gear, as you describe, at around 50,000 miles. The problem would come and go and my V6 Ram now has 113,000 miles on it. I pulled the NV3500 transmission and found the pilot bearing failed and galled the input shaft of my transmission. Furthermore, the radial play on the shaft seems large (nearly touches the sleeve/throw out bearing guide on the input shaft bearing retainer when I wiggle it) so, being unsupported at the pilot bearing, my NV3500 may now be in need of an overhaul too. The shaft and transmission does turn smoothly, however.

After doing a bit of online research I've found that these pilot bearings often don't last long and when they start to disintegrate on the end of the transmission input shaft, they can do a lot of damage.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 1500 Ram ST
calinb is on a distinguished road

I cut an Oilite bushing longer than the needle bearing (.75" vs. .56") so it would overlap pristine and un-galled portions of the input shaft and installed it with a new clutch. So far, so good! I except it to outlast the needle bearings that started to fail around 50,000 to 60,000 miles since new. Radial play way out on the shaft also seems typical.