DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Media Zone > Dodge Ram Pictures - Photos

Notices

Dodge Ram Pictures - Photos Post pictures of your Dodge Ram here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:13
JMoore01 is on a distinguished road
Default Resurrecting 'Ol Blue

New guy here. I posted a pretty long intro in the Newbie check-in....but here is a re-cap of the back story on my new "wrecked" truck.

I bought this 2002 1500 Quad Cab 2wd from a fella in Chicago who had bought it new. It was parked out in front of his house some weeks back, and some jackass mashed into the rear drivers quarter, and took off. He told me he was just in his living room watching TV, and he heard it and thought "Shit, someone just got messed up." He got up to see who, and of course it was his truck and the car that hit it was peelin out down the road. He said he had to go back and forth with his insurance company, but they finally gave him 80% of the truck's value, and let him keep it too. Don't ask me how that works, it's just the story I got. He coulda smashed into it himself for all I know. Seemed liked a pretty respectable type of guy though.

Anyway, this guy was already bored of this truck as he'd had it since new, and decided to get a few bucks for it, and buy something different that wouldn't break him on gas. The truck was never used for anything a truck is normally used for, so I assume he's just going to buy a car. Anyway...

I ended up buying it for what I feel was a fair price. It seemed like the perfect fixer upper (except for being 2wd) and though I'm a black, white, or gray car color fan, this 2-tone with the blue was just speaking to me. I don't suppose I'll miss the 4wd too much, as I'm not an off road guy, but, I'll still miss it a bit.

So, I'm getting it in the body shop this week. They are replacing the box, both bumpers, and repainting it the factory paint scheme. I don't know that it was worth all the trouble, as after it's all done, I'll still have quite a bit of bread in it, but, I have comfort knowing that I'll have a freshly painted truck that shouldn't rust for a bunch more years if I take care of it. I just moved back to the midwest after living in AZ for 6 years, and I forgot just how much rust SUCKS. The insides of the chrome bolts on my motorcycle were getting rusty after only being in IL for two weeks! And that was in July. Crazy.

So, this isn't so much as a build-thread, but just some pictures to show the resurrection of what I'm affectionately going to refer to as 'Ol Blue. (Which is the second 'Ol Blue Dodge Ram in my life. haha. I have a '94 4x4 that I'm going to be selling.) I'll update again when I get her out of the shop. My birthday is in two weeks, so if it's done by then, it'll be the best birthday ever. : )

PS. If this should go under a different category, please let me know. Not trying to bugger up the system here, just looked like the best place to put it. Also thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, and all the good info I've read, and will read in the future. It's super cool to have a place like this full of good experience and information from a buch of good guys. Rock and Roll.

Here lies the victim in front of the PO's house.

Hit the rear tire hard enough to slice right through it and bend the leaf spring up by the front shackle.

The guy's wife's car was parked right in front of the truck when the truck was hit. Pushed her right into the car bending up the front bumper too. Suprisingly enough, he said it didn't put a scratch on his wife's little Hyundai car. haha

The tailgate is salvageable, and luckily the Jason Hugger Fiberglass Tonneau didn't get so much as a scratch on it. (It's for sale by the way, hint hint.)

Some homegrown bodywork had already been attempted on the passenger side.

Interior in good shape, aside from some cigarette burns here and there on driver's side. Grrrr. I don't smoke, so that pisses me off a bit. : ) My last Dodge Ram was the same way, and I suppose my '94 probably is too, though I've never paid much attention.
Sponsored links
Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Also, if these pics are too big, someone let me know. I'm using photobucket to generate my codes, and I'm a little compuker challenged. Yes, Compuker.

Here she is after getting her home...

Ordered a new OEM tailight from Ebay and got her all duck taped in there for the time being. haha.

Her good side. If that's what you wanna call it!

I found a deal on a set of Clad factory 20's from a 2006. I drove 250 miles round trip to get them, and was so excited I changed them all in the rain. I was soaked, but my garage is full of motorcycles in various states of disrepair. : )

I'm stoked on the factory 20's. I'm not a real "bling" kind of guy, so these are just perfect for me!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So now I'd like some opinions, advice, etc.

Of course I couldn't help but blow all my money on a few aftermarket items. I found a used K&N CIA, and a used Jet Chip. I'd love to hear whether I wasted my money or not (preferably not) from those of you that have the Jet Chip. I have a K&N CIA on my '94, and I like it enough that I thought I'd put one on this too.

I also bought the tighter slotted Grill combo from Ebay that I see alot of other guys here have. I think it looks great with the matching lower section. I haven't gotten it yet, so I am hoping that the quality is better than decent. Can't expect much for under $100.

I also spent all weekend on here reading about exhaust systems and different muffler choices. I ended up buying a Hush Thrush from Summit last night. I had a Thrush Welded on my old '95 Ram 5.2, and back then I loved it, but for this truck I want something that's freeflowing and quiet at the same time. I'm going to be a dad soon, and this is more of a family truck for me. I have a '53 Chevy that is loud as shit, and I won't be putting a car seat in that one. haha. Does anyone have the Thrush Hush. I'm just going to weld it in, with the rest of the stock setup. I was going to get the Dynomax Super Turbo which looks like it would have been exactly what I want, but, I have to go against the grain a bit. And at least I'll be able to give you'all a review on it after I get it installed and drive on it a bit.

My other question is, since the truck has been hit, something in the rear end is making a whirring sound. Like a city bus would make. I have taken some measurements, and with the bent leaf spring, the rear axle is pushed forward a bit on the driver's side, but, it's only minimal. 1/4". I bought a low mileage leaf spring for it that the body shop said they would just put on for me while the box is off. Save me some work I guess. : ) Could my wheel hub be the problem. Maybe it got jacked up from the impact? I'm just praying it's not something in the rear end. Other than the "whirring" noise, it drives straight as an arrow, and shifts, pulls, turns, and stops, just as it should. Any input?

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram slt
Trim Level: slt
Color: bright white
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:306
five0addiction is a jewel in the roughfive0addiction is a jewel in the roughfive0addiction is a jewel in the roughfive0addiction is a jewel in the rough

looks like some good finds congrats

MARTIN...THE YOUNG GUN
Old 04-19-2011, 10:45 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

Very interesting project! Using Photobucket to host and post pics here is totally acceptable.

About the whirring noise....I would agree that it could be a bearing. The wheel / tire isn't rubbing on anything back there, is it?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:56
Zac2109 will become famous soon enough

hey good find, and I see your in Rockford, Im in Highland Park so not too far up the road from ya
Old 04-20-2011, 11:52 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:78
saunders1986 will become famous soon enough

subd, cant wait to see it done
Old 04-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hey Zac, Highland Park is right on the lake isn't it? How are you liking the weather this week? haha. Woke up to snow on my vehicles the other day! Crazy.

Maddog, nothing is rubbing, and I can't seem to figure it out. I checked the fluid in the rearend and everything is good there. Maybe the body shop will know something about it. I'm dropping it off tomorrow! Can't wait!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:55 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:869
jcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to behold

Can't wait to see it all fixed up! Those newer rims look a lot better. I'm gonna sub to this thread to see the finished product.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcasey10 View Post
Can't wait to see it all fixed up! Those newer rims look a lot better. I'm gonna sub to this thread to see the finished product.
Hey thanks! I haven't got her into the body shop yet. I was supposed to drop it off this week, and didn't get to it. I called them today, but I think they were closed for Good Friday. So Monday I'll have to get it down there.

I did get that Thrush Hush muffler put on today at a local mom and pop shop. I normally would do exhaust myself, but yet again, it's raining, and it was nice to just pay someone else to do it, and do it right to where I won't have to worry about it. So far, I am liking the sound a LOT. I think it's pretty close to what I was hoping for. Not too loud unless you put your foot into it. Then it rumbles pretty good. But like a turbo muffler (which I normally wouldn't like), not like a Flowmaster. Maybe I'm getting old. haha. I don't even crank the music anymore!

One question fellars.....What does it mean to sub the thread, and how do you do it? Sorry, I'm a Newb.

Last edited by JMoore01; 04-22-2011 at 08:44 PM.