DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 4x4 1500
Color: red and black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:23
jackedUP is on a distinguished road
Default Tires causing deathwobble?

i was looking through the forum and researching this dreaded death wobble.. well the front end of my truck gets to shaking horribly around 35-45 but if i just gas it through that range it will steady out. i have new 38.5x15x15 tsl boggers in the rear and i just have bald tsl radials in the front that are dry rotted..all my friends have been telling me its most likely the trashed front tires and that when i get the 2 new front boggers for the front that it will drive smoother what do yall think?
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
RickBeer is on a distinguished road

Death wobble is caused by a few issues The Hillbilly tires will not help the situation

Track bar could be worn out, front stabilizer could be worn out also rec. dual stabilizers if you continue to run the wide tire/wheel combo also check the alignment
Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 4x4 1500
Color: red and black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:23
jackedUP is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info....my dad told me that it could almost be anything in the front end suspension set up and that i would just keep goin through parts with the wide tires on it
Old 09-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
08HemiBigHorn is on a distinguished road

well i was just getting to post the same question. i have my old 01 ram std cab with 38.5/14.50 on it. tires have about 1/2 tread left on them. im trying to sell it and wanted to get rid of the death wobble before i tried selling it. i had a new steering gear box, track bar, upgraded to dual front stabalizer, new left front hub assembly, new alignment, and rotated the tires. the front tires where cupped but the rears were not when i rotated them. nothing changed anything until the steering stabilizers got put on. for about 3 weeks i had to death wobble at all! just yesterday, its back, and seems a little worse then before. is there ANYTHING else that could cause it. tranny maybe?...i would think if it was the tires, then by rotating the cupped front ones with the noncupped rears to the front would have helped. and if it were the tires, then why would it have stoipped for 3 weeks and now start again. i have to do the same thing the first guy said, either speed up through 45mph or hit the brakes. i really want to get this fixed before i sell it or its going to be a lost cause.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1995-1997 318ci (5.2L) Natural Gas V8 200hp 430lb/ft
MandaK is on a distinguished road

I have the EXACT same problem both of you have. 1996 1500 Club Sport. Running 36 12.5 15's w/a 6"lift. @ about 40-45 I get the wobble. I just bought my truck a couple months ago & am still running the tires it had on it - mudders are a handful, CRAP mudders only make it worse. The thing that gets me is how the steering wheel reacts. If I push forward & hold onto it like I mean it w/my girlie chicken arms, it actually isn't always horrible. So I'm going to put on the duel stabilizer AND change the tires. I bought a set of extra rims w/standard size radials (used, in good shape was cheaper than brand new-especially for "testint" purposes). IF the radials make a diff at all, then I should be able to run 35" radials w/relatively close to the same kind of performance from the veh. I don't know exactly what suspension parts I have 'cause I didn't do the work. But my mechanic said it was "all in real good shape. Not stock, not new, but NOT cheap." So we'll see & I'll let you know if it's any help. Good luck & let me know how you come out on your end.
MandaK